Monday, October 10, 2005

Though a tree grows so high, the falling leaves return to the root.

OK, this entire post is "Snippets":

This book is actually the inspiration for James’ middle name. Si used to make us read it to him over and over again; the little dog Angus is endearing and smart. Long before I found out I was pregnant, Si was lobbying to name the next child Angus. And Dan and I considered all kinds of other middle names, but we like the meaning of Angus, and liked the sound of the whole name. (In our defense, James is actually named for his paternal grandfather.) So, there you have it, folks. Please don’t ever tell my child he was named after a dog, ok?

And what is the opposite of namesake? It’s not really an antonym – what is it? James is his grandfather’s namesake, but what is Grandpap to James? There must be a word for it. That I should be able to discover, being a librarian and all…or I could just ask the Internet which is what most normal people seem to do…

The Booker Prize is announced tonight. I’ve read not a single short-listed book. I feel so barbaric.

I woke up on Saturday and realized that it was my actual due date. And instead I have an almost-two-week-old baby. Pretty wild.

Jude now owns white and navy New Balance sneakers that seem to fit him and that he will wear. Although he keeps tripping over his own feet – but since that’s a family trait I’m not too worried….and I know I swore that the two boys were getting completely different sneakers this time around, but oh well. Soon Jude will be as big as Si and they can just wear their sneakers interchangeably. Depending on whose gets pitched downstairs after Mama trips over them for the gazillionth time.

And in the saleslady at the lingerie store vein, Simon told me last night that my “boobs look like pacifiers.” Uh….thanks. I think I’ll feed James in the locked bathroom from now on.

Si’s having a tough time. He’s trying to draw a tree. He just said, “Oh, ok, I’ll just make a banana peel instead.” All right then. Problem solved.

This week’s topic is trees, we are about to go for a walk and collect leaves to identify. How very pioneering of us. Let’s see, we’ll start with the ubiquitous jagger bush, and then probably move onto some stinky sweet-gum trees.

My life is riveting, I tell you!

P.S. I HATE local newscasts. I normally do not even watch the news. But last night on Channel 4, the anchor said, "Tragedy for local Pakistanians. More at eleven!" I hate this city so much sometimes, which I suppose is biased, as a gaffe of this sort could happen to anyone. But it seems so much more likely here. Sigh.

6 comments:

Caro said...

Sounds fun to me. (the tree walk not tripping over shoes!)

Peg said...

No, riveting isn't the word I would use. I would say thoughtful, funny, loving, interesting, socially aware, full of kids who say the most wonderful things, parenting, living in the city, Mimi, being a librarian, loving books, making pie, raising said kids to be loving and thoughtful and make this world a better place... all the things that make your blog a must-read.

Gina said...

I honestly can't remember the last time I watched the local news--it's just not necessary. That said, I think it's Dooce who thinks the local news is the most entertaining thing on TV. She's got a point, what with those Pakistanians, and all.

Gina said...

Teddy's reading "Angus and Sadie", Cynthia Voight's newest. Angus and Sadie are . . . dogs. :-) He quite likes the story--they're very likeable dogs. He's not crazy about one of the cats, though; it seems said cat's "snide comments" are not to be tolerated!

Joke said...

I bet you there is a blog reader somewhere in the tiny island nation of Pakistani, who feels gravely insulted.

-J.

Jess said...

My sister and I chose the name Joey for our brother after reading Tomi DePaola's Watch Out for Chicken Feet in Your Soup. So, Angus' origin isn't so bad.