Saturday, October 08, 2005

All hail to the twenty-four-hour Dairy Queen

Ah, the lot of the third child. James is attempting to nap, wrapped in a blanket in the aforementioned papasan chair, while his mama types away at the computer and his two brothers and his dad play guitars and drums on the third floor. If he actually goes to sleep, I will be mightily impressed. I remember my mom telling us that my little brother could *only* sleep if there was a racket going on because that’s what he was used to.

************

Here’s a little quiz for you.

Which of the following did Dan and I think we could pack up all three boys and go into Squirrel Hill to do this morning?

  • Buy the older boys new shoes
  • Get the 4th season of Curb Your Enthusiasm from Blockbuster
  • Be fitted for and buy a new nursing bra
  • Stop at the Chocolate Moose for some yummy peppercorn chocolate
  • Buy some techie book at B&N for Dan’s latest work project
  • Get this week’s money from the ATM
  • Go grocery shopping
  • Buy a headlight for Dan’s car
  • Buy a new vacuum cleaner belt

If you guessed all of them, you are either as crazy as we are, or not the parent of three children under the age of five.

Dan got the Curb Your Enthusiasm DVD first. Cross off list, feel smug.

After forty-five minutes of hell in the shoe store with the world’s oldest and most incompetent saleslady, I was prepared to gas all people over the age of 70, kill myself when I hit 70, and just buy any old pair of sneakers and get the hell out of there. I did that last thing. So Si, whose old sneakers still kinda fit him, has new sneakers – blue and white Velcro New Balance, size 11-1/2 wide. At least he hasn’t attained his father’s black-Reebok level of nerdiness yet…Jude who measured a 10 ½ wide, and who requested red sneakers, and whose toes are practically poking out of his old sneakers, got to try on a 10 extra wide and a 10 ½ medium, in white or navy. That is, *after* we noticed that the salesperson had first put on him one of Si’s 11-½ sneakers, and then could not find its mate. I felt at the time like the saleslady was one of the Keystone Kops and I was a hamster running on its wheel. As I mix my metaphors or similes or whatever the hell. So I bought Jude a pair of sneakers that do not fit him, refused to let him wear them, and skedaddled the hell outta the store, and we will return Monday a.m., sans Simon, to try again. By which time perhaps said saleslady will have keeled over or moved into the nursing home for the insane where she so rightly belongs.

And THEN I spent twenty minutes waiting for the fitter to help me at the bra store – ok, it’s actually called The Pussycat but who wants to buy nursing bras at a store called The Pussycat? – only to 1) find that, according to the fitter, who repeated herself several times, my breasts are really, REALLY SMALL (like it’s a fucking newsflash or something), and 2) buy the exact same style and size bra I was wearing. Only new. Sigh.

We did manage the chocolate (hey, I have my priorities straight!) and, at the cost of two cereal bars and a package of crumbled Bob the Builder graham crackers, the vacuum cleaner belt. Our smugness evaporated, put in our proper place by two recalcitrant children, we returned home for lunch and naps. Did I mention James slept thru the whole thing?

**********************

Is anyone else addicted to reading the real estate transaction listings in the newspaper (ours run on Saturdays), or am I hopelessly nuts/nosy? (I read the obits too.) And then I go look up online, on the county assessment site, any interesting properties, particularly ones for sale in our new neighborhood and ones that sold for exorbitant sums in our old neighborhood. The Penguins’ right wing Konstantin Koltsov just bought a *townhouse* in Squirrel Hill for an astonishing sum of money – and not one of the charming old brick townhouses but a newish-looking, charmless, modern thing. And it was in the paper for the public to see…and on the website for the perpetually nosy to look at. Because I care where our sports stars live…if only the website had been around when I was stalking Darius Kasparaitis.

*****************************

I liked Jennifer Weiner’s second book, In Her Shoes the best of all her novels, perhaps because it transcends its “chick-lit” label and is a strong and well-written novel regardless of the niche into which it is shoved. The movie is getting panned, and none of the reviewers are even taking the source seriously. But when has the movie ever come close to the book? Think Possession, Garp, Prince of Tides, the list goes on and on…most movies made from books are travesties. (Travesties of a mockery of a sham!)
Angels and Insects was a decent movie but only because the screenplay was the novella, word for word. And Bridget Jones was a better movie than book. Otherwise, read the book, skip the movie.

************************

I had something to say about Norwegians and Swedes, and Larry David confusing the two and calling his golf pro Sven a Swede, and then there was something on Bookslut in regards to some book awards, about the Norwegians being peninsula hogs, and it was all related in my strange little brain somehow, and I laughed and laughed – but that was last night at 2 a.m., and I had a baby attached to me, and so I suppose my judgment was skewed, if I could even remember what the joke was. Aren’t you glad you read this blog, for my clarity and eloquence and erudition? Me too.

**************************

Does anyone know any AC/DC? Because all of Dan’s musician friends are calling my sweet baby James by his middle name…so I should perhaps balance the James Taylor lullaby with something else befitting his middle name…

*****************************

By the way, James fell asleep. Even with “Heavy Metal Drummer” being practiced upstairs.

10 comments:

Kathy said...

I voted for all of them and I was right! That's something we would do too and then wonder what got into us. Why is it that some salespeople have to point out the obvious? Once I was told in a store that I was overweight. I think I'm already aware of that fact.

Joke said...

I dunno that I'd inflict either James Taylor or AC/DC on an helpless newborn.

-J.

Gina said...

Thanks to School of Rock, wherein the kids perform the song about it being a long way to the top if you want to rock and roll, Teddy *loves* AC/DC. They "rock", you know, and Ted is all about the rocking.

I find AC/DC to be rather benign and amusing for all their heavy metal swagger, so I don't mind. There are many lyrics that objectify the ladies, to be sure, but that sort of goes with the territory. I'm pretty sure my ever-present feminism has innoculated Ted anyway. :-)

Sarah Louise said...

What's wrong with black reebox? (although I go for pink when available, that goes unsaid.) Also, Gene Shallot (the NBC movie guy) panned In Her Shoes, which means I'll probly love it. The audio book was horrible and I never actually read the hard copy, but I'll get there. Chick Lit that transcends, now that you're a mommy again is Something Blue, sequel to Something Borrowed. But beware: a box of kleenex is needed nearby. Catch ya on the flip side (I don't why I felt like saying that...)

Joke said...

Gina,

If it's any consolation, many of the AC/DC lyrics also objectify the gentlemen.

However, I shudder to think what the full-habit-wearing-nuns at Numbah One Son's school would say were he to come in muttering the words to, oh, say, "Highway To Hell" or "Hell's Bells."

I spent a childhood being sent to The Main Nun (i.e., the principal) and I do not wish to relive the experience.

-Joke

Gina said...

You know what bugs me about the black Reeboks? They always look puffy to me . . . and then I get all sucked into wondering why someone would choose shoes that make his feet look fat.

Ted's working the black New Balance, which he adores. Then again, Teddy is--as Bart Simpson says--a Dorkus Malorkus. :-)

Hey val, have you *seen* Angus Young, by the way?

BabelBabe said...

i went to an insane baptist school, where every so often they'd have revivals and one year they had this dude named randy hogue - someday i will do a post on crazy randy - and he played hell's bells for us, to show us how evil it was. same with some beatles - and billy joel - the list of satanic songsters goes on and on, along with the beat...i remember my older brother totally digging hell's bells. i lean more towards the beatles end of that evil spectrum, myself...

BabelBabe said...

and by the way, james is NOT named for angus young...although jude is indeed named in honor of john lennon. yeah, he's a weird looking guy, that angus young.

my boys are doing the NB thing too. those wide feet. i'm an adidas girl myself.

and my black sneaker prejudice goes back to my drama/college days when only geeky pimply greasy lighting design majors (except joel blanchard - *he* was yummy...) wore black sneakers, so you couldn't see them thru the lighting grid.

Caro said...

Isn't it depressing sometimes when you have all the different errands to run and you know that you will NEVER get them all done. Yet somehow the optimism never dies. My kids and I have wide feet also. It is very hard to find shoes. Are shoe companies prejudiced against us bigfoots?

Joke said...

Not that anyone asked, but Joke & Sons are saddled with wide AND flat feet (which is why I washed out of ROTC many, ma-a-a-any years ago).

Every once in a while I will find shoes of adequate width and I will snatch up one in every color and two in black.

-Joke, shoe ho