Sunday, October 16, 2005

"I'm not a bad guy! I work hard, and I love my kids. So why should I spend half my Sunday hearing about how I'm going to Hell?" - Homer Simpson

I read Suburban Bliss on a regular basis. And with a recent post she made me laugh so hard that I cried, mostly because SOMEONE UNDERSTANDS!! and so I feel compelled to share with you:
Today Max has a playdate with a very sweet and nice little boy and I have an Awkward Parental Playdate with his mother…Someone suggested I bring a cooking project over for us to do together. I'd like to just bring a good book and read silently while our kids play quite honestly.

******************

Pregnant women have been in the news lately. An 8-months-pregnant woman in Ford City was attacked with a baseball bat by her next-door neighbor who attempted to perform a Caesarean on her and claim the child as her own. Fortunately, a passing teenager saw the women and called the police. The woman and her baby are both alive and doing as well as can be expected. The neighbor is in jail. Her boyfriend is swearing she was pregnant already – she’s not. A year or two ago the same sort of thing happened in Ohio, only that woman died. I admit, I spent moments of my pregnancy looking over my shoulder for loonies who were willing to perform street surgery on me to get to my little pot roast. What a freaking world we live in.

In the past year, I have heard of at least two local women who have died in childbirth. I blithely joked about dying in childbirth to Gina and then realized, it could happen. It still does happen. Even though it is not medieval England or a third-world country. Good thing I didn’t think about it when I was in labor. It’s crazy that with all the medical advances we have made, women still die giving birth.

Also in the local news, this story about the superintendent of Bethel Park’s schools and a Baldwin Borough school board member. And we thought the city of Pittsburgh had the market cornered on bizarre school board happenings…

**********************

TV update –

I just watched West Wing for the first time in a year or so. I stopped watching when Aaron Sorkin stopped writing for them, but judging by this episode, they have someone who’s almost as talented, smart, and quick on board now. And Janeane Garoafalo is on too. I hate to *have* to watch a TV show, but I may start catching WW again, now and again.

JD’s song “Pretty Vegas” from Rockstar:INXS was played during a commercial for the show “Las Vegas” tonight. Dan and I were dorkily excited.

A funny thing I heard on “Sex and the City” while watching mindless TV and nursing James:
Charlotte, speaking to Samantha about the length of her bridesmaid’s dress: “You know, everything doesn’t have to be cut up to your See You Next Tuesday!”
Carrie: “Whoa! See You Next Tuesday? Was that a Schoolhouse Rock I missed?”

*******************************

My next door neighbor is a saint. Truly. She not only gave us a baby present (and gifts for the big brothers) but has also cooked dinner plus dessert for us three times in the past two weeks. Her latest offering was beef stew and a carrot cake.
The carrot cake was sitting in the fridge Saturday afternoon. Si asked for a snack. I told him he could go in the fridge and get his sandwich from lunch. He ate his sandwich – and also apparently half the frosting on the cake. There were wee little fingermarks all over it. I was mad but mostly I laughed. It was such a non-Simon thing to do, it almost pleased me with its normal-little-boyness. I yelled at him but my heart really wasn’t in it. Of course it helped that there was still enough frosting on the cake….

***********************

Simon and Dan watched football this afternoon. Simon kept talking about the “Pastriots”. I love this. I loved it last season and I love it now. Like the cream puffs and the napoleons are scrimmaging against the Steelers…

And last night we watched some hockey. Have I mentioned how happy I am that hockey is back? Mostly for Dan’s sake but also because I do enjoy it…although I am not the household fanatic. Mario Lemiuex…Sidney Crosby, the hottest draft pick…but tell me, when did LeClair become a Penguin? I am so confused, I clearly have not been paying nearly enough attention. Simon was confused too – he kept shouting Go! Go! when the puck was at the wrong end. Unless he really is a Tampa Bay fan, in which case we must disown him.

*****************

Photos from our day with Thomas:



4 comments:

Caro said...

Regarding the murder plot - hell hath no fury, huh?
The pregnancy thing is creepy. Considering that sometimes pregnant women dissapear and are never seen again, it makes yo wonder how much it does happen. I read a scary book about that once. A family kidnapped pregnannt women, waited for them to give birth, than arranged adoptions. (big money.) Boy I sound right cheerful today, don't I?
Have a great Monday. Glad to see you posting.

Gina said...

Could those boys be any cuter?

Caro said...

Add another credit to my powers of observance. My six-year old just pointed out the pink fish and told me to feed it. My children pay better attention than I do.

BabelBabe said...

Carolyn - I "adopted" the damn thing and until you said that, didn't realize it COULD be fed.