Friday, October 21, 2005

Day Off!

Teddy didn't have school today, so I took the day off. I was dozing at about 7am, luxuriating in being in bed while rain fell and traffic bleeped and squawked, when I heard Teddy creep to the bathroom and then sneak his goose-bumped, tighty-whitey-clad self into my bed for a cuddle. The bigger he gets, the more rare those cuddles become, and I appreciate every last one.

Then I hopped up, started the laundry, and put together a ball of bread dough to set to rise. (Any good tips on where to do this? I had it in the (turned-off) oven, but I don't think it's warm enough in there. The bread is tasty, but a little more dense than I'd like. I'll eat it happily, and so will Teddy (we polished off a loaf for lunch), but it's not something I would take with me to someone's house. Any hints/tips appreciated.

Teddy had a friend over, and they covered my upstairs in Lego but didn't turn the TV on once, so I'm not complaining. I lounged downstairs on the couch and finished Mission to America, which reminded me of A Changed Man. Both books look at America in a way that's funny and wry, but still thoughtful, wise and caring. I'd never read any of Kirn's books, but now I'll be sure to keep an eye out for his others.

So I read and sat, and baked a batch of chocolate chip cookies. And I made chicken soup. All while wearing flannel pajama bottoms, slippers, and a grotty old sweatshirt with a broken zipper . . . it looks like someone was looking for a little comforting today, wasn't she? And I got it. I feel happy and peaceful and ready to read Caddie Woodlawn and got to bed.

Yawn.

7 comments:

Badger said...

If I'm making bread in a cold room, I put the dough in the oven on the top rack and then put a pan of hot water on the bottom rack underneath where the dough is. As long as you leave the oven door shut (use the light to check on how it's doing) it should rise okay.

I love days like that! And I can totally relate to the Lego explosion.

BabelBabe said...

in my house, it was movies and snacks and a crayon explosion.

The chocolate chip cookies almost changed my mind but I am about to call you and tell you I am staying home tonight, Gina. it's cold and raining and yucky. Much as I want to hang out with you, sans children....maybe Sunday.

tongiht cals for hot tea and maybe a video.

Gina said...

I'm going to soak in the tub and then watch High Fidelity until I can't keep my eyes open.

Thanks for the tip, Badger. I've heard that before, but spaced on it today. I'll try it again on my next day off.

Joke said...

Turn on your oven as low as it can go. Leave it on for 5 minutes. Turn it off. Wait 5 minutes. Put dough to rise.

Alternately, allow an extra 30%-50% longer rise. A slower, cooler rise will give you more of a sourdough-y flavor.

-J.

Gina said...

Another good idea. Thanks, Joke.

Sarah Louise said...

It was a good day for watching movies...I watched Adventures in Babysitting (yes, again) and fell asleep, then went to a one-woman show on Shakepeare's wife and then watched Almost Famous until my eyes almost closed. I finished it this morning, and put on hold at CLP the book that has a collection of Cameron Crowe's articles from Rolling Stone. Right now I'm procrastinating cleaning for the sibs on their way from VA for U2. Maybe it's lunch time!

mpmov: My pen moved!!

Gina said...

LEt me know what you think of that Cameron Crowe collection, SL. I didn't realize such a thing existed, but I think it'd be fun to read.