Wednesday, October 12, 2005

"I'm no theologian. I don't know who or what God is. All I know is he's more powerful than Mom and Dad put together."-Lisa Simpson

Simon (intently cutting off pieces of scotch tape from the roll with scissors): Hey, Mom, what is God? Like, is he a person and how does he live up there in the sky?”

********************************

Simon spent yesterday afternoon taping all the leaves he had collected onto construction paper. We identified the obvious – we have a preponderance of maple leaves, for example – and he wrote the names on the pages in glittery purple marker. There’s still an almost-full Tupperware container full of leaf fragments, stems, acorns, and other detritus of fall. I found myself wanting to straighten the leaves, double the scotch tape so you couldn’t see it – wait, no, let’s PRESS the leaves between contact paper. Let ME do the lettering so it looks nicer. And let’s not tape the acorns into the book because then it won’t close. I am proud to say that I controlled my control-freak impulses.

I spent close to fifteen years, by training and trade, as a scenic artist. If I say so myself, I am a decent craftsman. I may not paint my own masterpieces, but I have produced some breathtakingly lovely pieces of artwork in the form of drops and scenery for various theatres. It is HARD for me not to want to do as clean and lovely a job as possible.

Am I the only mom out there who has to fight against these impulses to fix, straighten, clean, add one more detail, or erase one little smudge? I do NOT want to spend his grade school years helping with/doing his homework so it will be perfect but I can already tell that that may be a battle with myself. On a scale of one to ten, in the rating of insane parenting impulses, 1= perfectly normal and 10= hopelessly neurotic, how insane am I?

**************************************

Randy Hogue came to my high school when I was in the seventh grade, along with some group of singers called New Life or something equally absurd. I do remember they all wore frumpy red dresses (the women) and red turtlenecks (the men) but my memory could be incorrect, destroyed or repressed by the trauma of the revival week that followed. I’m pretty sure they cannot have cancelled classes for the week but all I remember of that week is sitting in the school auditorium (which was also the church’s sanctuary) screamed at and harangued about the evils of drugs, alcohol, pop music, and dancing, Randy Hogue working himself into a lather, spitting and sweating in his fervor; and spending the entire week secretly convinced that whether I went forward to be saved or not (not that I hadn’t already done that at my own church), I was heading straight to hell, without my mom and dad, my brothers, or any of my friends. I prayed desperately for some sign that I really had been saved – a lightning bolt, a rainbow, who the hell knows what I expected. I was terrified.

Randy Hogue told horrific stories about his druggie friends who had tripped out on LSD and thought the potato someone threw out a window was their brain; people picking themselves raw, suffering from withdrawal symptoms in rehab; nurses having to peel people off the walls and ceilings. Fine, I get that drugs are bad for you but must you terrorize innocent Baptist children?

The other memorable thing about Randy Hogue was his Hellevator schtick. He had his ideas of what hell is like, so he took us on his Hellevator ride, stopping at different levels (I somehow doubt he was a Dante aficionado) to check out the thrills of Hell, the vile tortures that Satan and his minions had in store for us. It was definitely a PG-13 kind of deal, but weird nonetheless. There are most likely more people from my high school graduating class that remember Randy Hogue than remember our teachers. I will give him that – he was memorable. “I am pushing the Down button…we descend…darkness and heat and agonized screams of the damned who don’t have Jesus Christ as their personal savior…” Really, I couldn’t make this stuff up.

************************************

Every time I watch Sex and the City, I am gripped with a raging desire to start smoking again. It’s all Carrie’s fault. I *know* it’s bad for you, I know it stinks, but God I miss smoking. The episode on TBS last night – what do YOU watch when you are awake with a crying baby? – was the one where they go to LA. I have 2 things – 1) Matthew McConaughey is a freak and NOT attractive, and 2) I would date Vince Vaughn in a heartbeat. I’d probably even have sex with him in a heartbeat, but he’s that type of normal-looking movie star that makes you say, “Yeah, we could hang out and be friends.” And he’s sexy. And big – 6”4’. Yum.

**************************************

And just because I am tired and haven’t read anything in two days, I offer you this in propitiation. It might not do much for Joke or David, but…hey, I can’t please everyone.

25 comments:

Gina said...

Fight the urge to make Si's work perfect! Fight it! I have this trouble too. Even though I'm not as artistic as you, I *am* wacked out and OCD-ish. I'm trying really hard not to taint the boy with my cupboards filled with cans whose labels face the same direction and coffee mugs whose handles all line up.

*****

Catholic school scared me to the point where I was always on the alert around new babies that might need baptizing. I was always pretty much sure that the world was going to end at any moment, and I was terrified for the poor babies who were stuck with their original sin. I practised by baptizing my toys, so I knew what to do, but I never actually had the chance to try it on a human baby.

I was pretty weird, but I have the feeling that I would've required locking up if I'd gone to your school. Man!

BabelBabe said...

wanna come baptize my kids? could be fun : )

Gina said...

Sometimes I wonder if my dad pulled an Archie Bunker and baptized my nephew in secret. Teddy's baptized, mostly because I couldn't see the harm in doing it, and it made a lot of people happy.

I think you can handle baptizing your kids on your own, Val. According to Sister Robert Mary, you just take some water (it could even be water scooped out of a puddle), sprinkle it over the kid, and make the sign of the cross while saying, "I bap-TIZE you in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Spirit." You *must* emphasize that second syllable, I think, because she repeated it over and over...

Joke said...

Gina, Gina, Gina. ALL you have to do is pray a Chaplet of Divine Mercy, if'n we're talking about little kids. Bang, zoom, straight to Heaven. For grownups, the best you can hope for a modest stint in Purgatory. (Can you tell I spent time in a Jesuit academic boot camp for Jr. High & HS?)

BabBab,

As for resisting neatness impulses when supervising homework, this is why I try to do the supervisin' and not let my long-suffering wife do it. A long time ago I read an old Roman aphorism (the old Roman in question, I believe, is Juvenal) that went something like: "Save fools from their folly, and you fill the world with fools."

I issue the warnings that it (homework, project, etc.) must be neat and tidy, otherwise Sister Mary Hortense (really!) will mark your grade lower than it would have been. Then I let the chips fall where they may. And you know what? The homework, etc. is now neater and tidier.

Yes, I'm a pain in the ass.

-Joke

Joke said...

P.S. My fave Simpsons quote on religion goes something like

Homer: "I know I'm
not usually a praying man, but if you're up there, please help me Superman!"

Joke said...

P.P.S. Gina, I'd totally pull an Archie Bunker, baptism-wise.

Gina said...

I've learned to be a hard-ass about the homework, only because I want the boy to take responsibilty for his work. He's done really well this year, with very little involvement from me. I help if he asks me, but I never hover. That seems to be the key.

And *what* is a Chaplet of Divine Mercy?!?! I went to Catholic school from 1978-85, a time in the overall history of the Church that I've come to think of as Catholic Lite. The old nuns were hard-core, but the young nuns were all about playing guitars and singing. I don't think I learned a prayer after the Act of Contrition and the Apostle's Creed.

Peg said...

Wow. The Chaplet of Divine Mercy.

http://www.ewtn.com/Devotionals/mercy/dmmap.htm

Who knew?, even after grades 6 - 9 in Catholic School. It always troubled me that my mom was in the convent, and left -- and my dad was in the seminary, and left -- before they married.

I think, in order to get his computer plotter to work, David has been known to strip down and dance around the plotter, clacking together some chicken bones. I think I'd try *that* before attempting the Chaplet. But I can't find as specific directions. Maybe DB would offer further advice.

Joke said...

Gina,

I went at a roughly overlapping moment in time, but I was fortunate the Jesuits were still hardcore. In fact, Latin was not dropped from the curriculum until 1997. Among the Not Very Progressive things we had to do is memorize the Baltimore Catechism. Numbah One Son has to do that also, but the 1999 version is a lot more manageable than the (then 10+ year-old) 1961 version with which I had to deal. I also had an easier time of memorizing things because tehre were no girls around. As soon as I got to college I...well, um, those were my wilderness years.

Peg,

Your computer has probably never had a fall from Grace, so praying the CODM will probably not do anything. Even if it had, it'd only go towards a happy death and a spot in Computer Heaven. Might as well try that "voodoo that you do so well" with the chicken bones. If it's a Mac, however, you'll have to use squab bones, and move in a counterclockwise direction. At the Mac store where they have the squab bones. For $670.

-Joke

Jess said...

What I learned in 6th grade of Catholic school: in an emergency, you can baptize someone using tea.

Just in case, you know, you suddenly need to baptize your children and all you have on hand is a cup of Earl Gray.

Kathy said...

I'm glad to know I'm not the only person who has to fight the urges to straighten up her child's homework. I thought that -- given as I'm a big control freak -- that it might be only me.

The baptism thing is really hard for me. My husband is Baptist and I'm Catholic. I didn't think I would have issues with my kids not being baptized when they were babies, so I agreed that they should be baptized if and when they made that decistion to be. Turns out I do have lots of issues about it. Jess, I may take the baptizing with tea route with my daughter. :)

Kathy said...

Oh -- and that Randy Hogue would have had me on the psych ward. Glad I never saw him.

Joke said...

Hmm. I'm going to start walking around with a little Evian bottle secretly filled with Holy Water. It'll also prove handy if any vampires show up.

Caro said...

A's homework is untidy and makes me generally crazy. I told her that I've seen her beautiful artwork and I KNOW that she can do better. Of course, she doesn't enjoy schoolwork! My mother never sent me to church, so I was never baptized. Neither are my kids. It's always made me vaguely nervous that they aren't. Guess I can dig out the tea now!

BabelBabe said...

i was raised baptist but never got far enough along to get baptized, and my husband was raised catholic and is now an atheist so refused to baptize the kids which was just fine with me.

although considering the tea enthusiasts we are, we may go the earl grey route, esp. if we need to baptize them to get them into the catholic schools.

Joke, haven't you read The Historian? holy water apparently no longer does the trick.

Badger said...

BabelBabe, on a scale of one to insane, I'd give you a three. So rest easy there. I'm a reformed control freak so I know whereof I speak.

And I dunno from Chaplets but if they're anything like capelets those are SO 2004 [rolls eyes].

Joke said...

BabBab,

If you tell me garlic doesn't work either, I'll be beside myself.

Although, I could always carry it in a SuperSoaker with a sniper scope, saving souls from a convenient distance.

-J.

Joke said...

P.S. Dammit I'm an alliterative bastard.

Sarah Louise said...

Okay, I have this curse that I end up being the last one to comment and then no one comments on my comment--like Phoebe on Friends, "I'm the last one to hear about everything!" but whatever. I loved loved loved the Colin Firth photo and as a Presbyterian who went to a Baptist church for 3 years and was Catholic for about 3 years, I am loving all your comments! My mom and I did the whole leaf thing--we ironed them in between wax paper and I probably have them somewhere in the detritus of my apartment...I have always wanted to smoke--for awhile my mom said I should start b/c I needed something to do with my hands. Thanks, Mom. I'll report you to the American Lung Association. Also the woman who said I should get married b/c I needed someone to talk to (I think she was busy at the moment and wanted my husband to appear out of thin air so I'd stop talking to her.) I think y'all should read (or listen to the audio, it's great) of Jacob Have I loved by Katherine Paterson. It has a wonderful baptism scene at the end. Actually, my blog name is based on the main character in that book. Anyways, enjoying y'all especially good this morning.

And here's the soap-box: As a Christian and as a human, I think the whole scare tactic (Going to hell, aren't ya?) is gross and disgusting and I'm livid that people think that's the way to express the *love* of God.

Keep it coming, folks!

btw, my word verification is fznrot.

Caro said...

Sarah Louise, I'll comment. Does this mean I'm NOT going to Hell? (seeing as how I'm not baptized) Phew!

Sarah Louise said...

The sacraments are symbols. The main key to staying out of hell is (how hokey can you get--don't shoot me bb) a personal relationship with God. Which is not something you can force or scare someone into--all good relationships are choice based as is this one.

Joke said...

OK, now, I'm not at all down with that "Scared Straight"/Hell thing BUT I must say one of my favorites was a long time ago, we had Mass at school (All Saints Day, IIRC) and the a/c broke. SoFla being SoFla, it was 90+ degrees outside and thus broiling inside. everyone was sweating like OJ under oath.

The time came for the homily and Fr. Eddie's entire homily was:

"You think it's hot now? Just wait."

-J.

Sarah Louise said...

Joke, you just made my day. Here I am, sitting in my overwhelmed SINC (Single Income, No Children), not able to imagine what it would be like to tell someone to do chores etc when I can't even do my own and I am laughing hysterically. Thank you.

PS the last word verification on my own blog was ssexd. Hmmm, back to that "single" thing...

BabelBabe said...

you catholics. i love your (collective) rollicking sense of humor.

Joke said...

SL,

I often say my relatives were so abysmal I had to find someone with relatives equally abysmal so we could make our own.

It is an unalloyed blessing to say "Oh, you want a bike for your 8th birthday, huh? Better see to it the garbage gets taken out, and we'll talk."

BabBab,

If you spend your formative years in an all-boys environment, you either wind up funny or wind up athletic. I'm, say, 70-30 on that score.

-Joke