Tuesday, October 18, 2005

Joan Didion's New Book

Joan Didion is a wonderful writer, and I plan to avoid her memoir LIKE THE PLAGUE. I can't remember being in this situation before, but I feel like reading about Didion's tragedy in her careful, clear, extraordinary prose, would crush me as if it had happened to me. And then to know that her daughter died this summer ... There's just no way I can read this book. I've had enough sadness in my life, thanks.

Can you think of other books you've avoided for similar reasons?

3 comments:

Joke said...

Well, although I generally avoid Joan Didion, I can think of LOADS of books I avoid for those reasons. In fact, I have a searing phobia of tragedies. Every day our senses are assaulted by cataclysms, brutalities, plagues, atrocities, stupidity, sadness and hatred. Do I *need* to take time out from my schedule to look for more or, worse, pay for it.

Nuh uh. In fact, we have a hurricane coming (yes, again) and I may need to read George S. Kaufman just to cleanse my psyche.

-J.

BabelBabe said...

I posted before i read yours - like I said, I cannot cope right now, esp. in my homronal state : )

Bridge to Terabithia is like that; I cannot reread it, it devastates me. I also have songs like that - Tori Amos' China, for one.

And Joke, your 1st paragraph is precisely why I see very few movies and not much TV - I get enough real violence and tragedy from real life, thx.

Joke said...

BabBab,

I don't watch much of TV and movies either. I daydream a lot, though.

-J.