Saturday, July 30, 2005

"Sure, the lion is king of the jungle, but airdrop him into Antarctica, and he's just a penguin's bitch."

I’ve always been a big Dorothy Parker fan. (And disturbingly for me, it turns out she looks a lot like a my-mom-when-she-was-young.) Go read some Parker right now, you owe it to yourself. She’s witty and funny and poignant. This is one of my favorite Parker poems, “Theory”:
Into love and out again,
Thus I went, and thus I go.
Spare your voice, and hold your pen –
Well and bitterly I know
All the songs were ever sung,
All the words were ever said;
Could it be, when I was young,
Some one dropped me on my head?


******************

Julie recommends the Moomintroll books, by Tove Janson (re: my mention of Summer Book). I think they look totally cool, and cannot wait to get my hands on them to read to Simon. I think he’ll love them. Thanks, Julie!

Speaking of books Si likes, I recently dug out my Shel Silverstein collection. I hate, hate HATE The Giving Tree, but otherwise Silverstein is ok. A bit contrived, and Raffi-ish for my taste, but ok. Simon really likes him, he thinks the poems are hilarious (and some of them are.) So he is enjoying greatly Where the Sidewalk Ends. It’s so much fun to watch him discover new books.

********************

I took the boys to the zoo yesterday. Who designs zoos? Why are there not shortcuts to places people want to go to quickly? We have a membership so, when we go, if the boys want to hang out in the aquarium or kids’ kingdom all morning, that’s fine by me. But to get the aquarium, or the bathrooms, or the trains, or whatever, you must trudge through the entire fucking zoo! Did someone think it was like the grocery store: “If we can just get them to walk past the Siberian tigers, maybe they’ll buy one and take it home!” And yesterday the big hit of the day was not, as you might expect, any of the animals; nooo, it was the large construction vehicles digging up what is left of the snake house (I HATE the snake house and am happy to see it leveled). We stood there and watched Scoop and Muck do their thing for half an hour. We’d still be standing there if we hadn’t nearly been run down by a zoo tram. Do we live in England? Why do the zoo trams drive on the left side of the road? The aquarium was fine, except for all the adults pushing strollers and their fat kids around without any inkling that littler children might be under foot (well, that and the penguin exhibit – when was the last time those poor penguins had their water cleaned? It’s murkier than my goldfish bowl! Isn’t it bad enough they had to live in a refrigerated trailer for six weeks?) . Jude got nailed by one grown man oblivious to his surroundings; the poor kid took a flying header and banged his head on the bottom of Nemo’s tank. That was when I began my deep breathing and finally snarled at poor Simon, “MAMA HAS TO GET OUT OF HERE NOW.” Ah, an idyllic morning at the zoo. I, unusually, bought the boys something - some little sea creature toys. Jude carried his tube o’ animals all over the zoo, and when he got home, laid them all out on the end of his bed before lying down for his nap. Whereupon Simon crept silently into his room and absconded with all of Jude’s animals, to augment *his* collection, to add to the miniature golf course. It sucks being the younger brother. (In a few short months, he’ll be the middle child, which is even worse.)

********************

I think the freakiest creation of JK Rowling’s, bar none, are the Inferi. Dementors are the scariest, but the Inferi make my skin crawl. My drive home from work takes me down a dimly-lit twisty road that is bordered by an enormous and very old cemetery. Thursday nights, when I work to ten, I drive home this way and wind up my windows while driving past the cemetery because, you know, Voldemort has it in for me and is going to set the Inferi on me. Zombies…bah! But the Inferi, with their clammy cold hands and dead eyes – creepy. Waaaaayyyy creepier than the dead people in Phillip Pullman’s Amber Spyglass.

*****************

I just walked into the ladies’ room and caught a glimpse of myself in the mirror (something I try to avoid even on my best days). I look like Violet Beauregarde, only fuchsia. I *hate* this horrible bright pink shirt but it was clean AND it fits my clothing criteria right now which is/are, I want my clothes to touch the least amount of skin possible. Of course, I normally am obliged to obey this bizarre compulsion, but it’s worse when I am huge with child.

*********************

Snippets:

Simon and his dad were writing a song when I left for work this morning. The first line went something like this:
“In the back-ack of the gack-gack…” (Yes, they’re quite the lyricists.)
I can’t get the damn thing out of my head.

Somehow – I am not sure how – these two articles are related:
The Nude Museum and The Undie Thief.

Mmmmm-hmm. What’s he *really* doing to that penguin? I don’t care how lonely you are, leave the wildlife alone!

Now I want a digital camera. To record charming pictures of my lovely children? No. To show-and-tell my front porch, and various other blog fun.

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie is boring. I am not going any further with it. I did just check out of the library Shirley Jackson’s We Have Always Lived in the Castle and Penelope Fitzgerald’s The Bookshop. And I guess I’ll keep plugging away at Misfortune. Don’t know why but I feel compelled.

Dan is going to run sound for a friend’s band next Saturday night. I have been invited along. I don’t want to go. On any given night, I would much rather put my kids to bed, and then sit down and read or quilt. Am I hopelessly anti-social and bound to wind up some poor demented old lady who lives in a house stacked with books and inhabited by too many cats, who never goes anywhere because it’s just too much trouble? (Um, sorta just like my dear, departed mom?) I’m not sure there’s enough medication in the world to prevent this.

12 comments:

David said...

How is it you can just stop reading a book? I've never been able to do that. I have to finish the thing even if it is putting me to sleep.

BabelBabe said...

years of practice...and therapy.

Jess said...

Have you read a picture book called The Librarian by Sarah Stewart? You should.

Peg said...

Three cheers for Shirley Jackson, and to you for reminding me she has another book I've never even read. Which, in an obtuse way, I don't want to read... because then it means that there's nothing in this world by Shirley Jackson that I haven't read.

BabelBabe said...

Jess - I have that book, I love it. It's one of the few picture books I won't let my boys trash : )They've read and worn out many of my collection but that one is MINE.

Peg - I feel that way about Josephine Tey and Jane Austen (I've never read Lady Susan or The Watsons since Austen is long dead -- and someday I might need an Austen I haven't read!

Katy said...

David, I dare you to try to finish Jean Brodie without an academic reason for doing so. I had it for Collaboration Project and since the play is based on the novel, and novels are generally more engaging to read, I made it through, but not because it was a compelling or good book.

On the other hand, it is very rare when I decide to stop reading a book, so I see where you're coming from. Yay for Babelbade for not being compelled by her conscience to finish.

Kathy said...

I'm like David -- once I pick up a book, I have to finish it, even though I agree philosophically with something Barbara Kingsolver said in High Tide in Tuscon; "Life is too short to read bad books."

I just read We Have Always Lived in the Castle -- last month I think. It was a Shirley Jackson book I'd not heard of. I liked it.

Gina said...

Sometimes I am glad Americans are a little more sexually repressed than Europeans. Can you imagine going to a museum filled with naked people?!?!?

I don't like crowds as it is, and te thought of naked crowds makes me hyperventilate.

BabelBabe said...

Naked Crowds would be a good name for a band though, wouldn't it?

Badger said...

I love, love, LOVE We Have Always Lived in the Castle. Delightfully creepy.

Sarah Louise said...

The Haunting of Hill House is my favorite (albeit only) Shirley Jackson. I didn't like that short story we all had to read in school, the Lottery. We did THHH for my book club in Virginia...it was one of the ones I liked, everyone else hated. I am getting tired of chick lit...and yes, I am totally able to not finish books. I even walk out of movies!!

BabelBabe said...

I have a tough time walking out movies. Not that I have actually gone to one in, oh, years. but they're so expensive, I just cannot do it.

Except I did walk out of "Smoke."