Thursday, July 28, 2005

You should never say anything to a woman that even remotely suggests that you think she's pregnant unless you can see an actual baby emerging from her

My husband has a crush on Brooke Burke, the very hot host of the INXS reality show. So I sent him a CNN bit about her separation from her husband. What does he notice first? “She’s given birth twice?!” Is it permissible to hate the father of your children?

*******************

More about Rona Jaffe. Her novel The Best of Everything was the one she read from on NPR; it was featured because it has recently been reissued. Despite her lack of enthusiasm, I am going to take a look anyway. Renee Montagne compared it to a fifties version of “Sex and the City” and while I am no fan of Candace Bushnell, I do find the HBO series amusing enough. It might make a good beach read for me in September.

***********************

Does anyone else know the Froggy books? I just saw one from the curriculum center laying on the reshelve stack, Froggy Sale a Cenar. “Hmmm,” I thought. “We don’t have that one.” That would be because *no one in my house speaks Spanish*. God, do you get dumber with each child or is it just me?

*************************

I am stalled on Misfortune. It’s just not that gripping. I keep waiting for something to happen. (Angela at fluidpudding is reading it, maybe I should ask her if I should keep going.) So I finished up Daughter of Time and may begin Miss Jean Brodie later. But honestly, I am really not interested in doing much other than lying in bed under the ceiling fan and panting. I have been feeling really weak, tired, and nauseated the past week. I thought I’d feel better once the heat broke, but no. I am back to being nauseated and yucky. I had an entire month of being able to eat what I wanted, when I wanted. What more could I ask for?? It’s the sort of yucky feeling that, were I further along, I would be convinced I was going to go into labor at any time.

***********************

I am oh so heartily sick of being pregnant. I can’t breathe, I have to pee every five minutes, I’ve begun to waddle, and now I just feel yucky. Some really great pregnancy quotes, found while trolling for the top “title” quote:

“I realize why women die in childbirth - it's preferable.” ~Sherry Glaser

“One of the most obvious results of having a baby around the house is to turn two good people into complete idiots who probably wouldn't have been much worse than mere imbeciles without it.” ~Georges Courteline, La Philosophie de Georges Courteline

“If evolution really works, how come mothers only have two hands?” ~Milton Berle
(I have long held the opinion that mothers should grow another arm with each child, that then cleanly shrivels up and falls off at around the age of ten (the child, not the mother).

And this is clichéd but it still made me laugh.

6 comments:

Gina said...

This may be unfair, but Brook Burke always comes off as insipid to me. I'm surprised he'd find her crush-worthy, despite the way her abs have overcome the torture of childbrearing.

****

Let me know what you think of the Rona Jaffe. I heard that NPR thing too, and I admit that I'm interested. (And Candace Bushnell is vile.)


****

No habla Espanol, despite two semesters at college. (Yet I can count to ten in Hebrew, thanks to Teddy's stint in preschool at the JCC.) Donde esta el bano? means "Where is the bathroom?" What more do I really need?

Kathy said...

God, Candace Bushnell! I read Sex and the City because I found the show amusing. I cannot believe someone read that awful book and was able to come up with that show that was funny and touching.

Sarah Louise said...

Froggy as in Froggy gets dressed? What a great read aloud book!! Frrrooggy!! called his mother. Wha-a-a-a-a-t? yelled Froggy. Did you forget to put something on? Oh how I love this book! I just went to the shelf and pulled all the Froggy books, since Getting Dressed is the only one I've read. I have way too much time on my hands...

Sarah Louise said...

Okay, so I just skim read the others. F gets dressed is the classic, though F's baby sister may come in handy for you, soon....

Caro said...

I hope we get a birth story. I bet you can tell a good birth story!

BabelBabe said...

unfortunately (or fortunately, depending how you see it) my hearty Eastern European peasant stock allows me to birth babies like it's no trouble at all. It's the nine months leading up to labor that does me in.

Of course now I've said that, I've jinxed myself and I will go into labor six weeks early, it will last for a week, and i'll wind up with an emergency c-section.