Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Katie & Chuck

Okay, so I’ve just finished reading Katie Fforde’s Second Thyme Around, and while I’m embarrassed for her over that godawful title, I have to say that my heart is warm. Yes, I love love. I also love spunky old ladies who live frugally and die with dignity. In fact, I almost wish I had lived through WWII, because I think that might be an essential ingredient of spunky old lady-hood.

I complained to Val earlier today about the fact that you know how this book is going to end before you even turn the first page, but I’m chastened now, and I suppose that’s because of the aforementioned warm heart.

I don’t care if it’s lowbrow, and I don’t care if it’s chick lit. I’m happy.

And speaking of lowbrow, I never commented on the new Klosterman. I enjoyed the book, but I don’t know that many people will, and I can’t say that I have high hopes for his future as a writer. That’s harsh, I know, but I feel like I can say it because Klosterman reminds me so much of me: He’s clever and a decent writer, when he cares about his subject . . . but the subject he seems to care most about is himself. Reading this new book is like reading e-mails or blog entries written by a charming but vaguely lost and depressed old friend.

I can’t say that’s a ringing endorsement, but I’m glad I bought the book.

***********************************

Now, do I shut down and resign myself to tossing and turning, as I haven’t been able to sleep all week and can’t see why tonight should be any different? Should I watch 84 Charing Cross Road, which I borrowed from the library on Suzanne’s recommendation? Should I get started on my final searching assignment for Retrieving? I’m thinking I’ll probably start a book. The Rotter’s Club, I think.

4 comments:

BabelBabe said...

Katie Fforde is indeed pure fluff but part of her comfort is that you do indeed know exactly how it will end. Sometimes all I want is a happy ending.

As for Chuck Klosterman - I feel like you are saying reading him is like reading our blog : )

I would have voted for the movie, what did you decide? Maybe if the weather cools, you'll sleep better.

Gina said...

Reading Klosterman *is* kind of like reading our blog, although he's (I like to think) a little more whinier and self-indulgent than you and I are. :-) Plus, he's a guy.

You're welcome to borrow the book to see what you think. Some of his ideas and insights, like the one about Kid A being the soundtrack for September 11th, are pretty remarkable.

And I went ahead and started The Rotter's Club. It's good, so of course I stayed up too late reading . . . and then couldn't sleep anyway.

Jess said...

I only recently watched & read 84 Charing Cross Road and really enjoyed both, in different ways.

Anonymous said...

I never watched 84 Charing Road, only read it. When I saw that Anne Bancroft was in the movie, I wasn't sure - she didn't match my idea of the character in the book (the author). But she was a wonderful actress, so I'm sure she made it work.