Tuesday, July 26, 2005

"I'm on the Zoloft to keep from killing y'all." - Mike Tyson

Sometimes to keep the boys occupied until we reach school, we play a game where I count one type of vehicle (I almost always get ambulances. Jude: “Mama. Ambulance. People hurt.”) , Jude counts another, and Si counts a third.
The conversation in the car this morning:
Si: I saw a school bus. I am counting school buses.
Jude: No! I count school buses!
Si: Yes.
Jude: No.
Si: Yes.
Jude: No
Si: Yes.
Jude: No
Si: Yes.
Jude: No
Si: Yes.
Jude: No
Si: Yes.
Jude: No
Si: Yes.
Jude: No
Si: Yes.
Jude: No
Si: Yes.
Jude: No
Si: Yes.
Jude: No
Si: Yes.
Jude: No.
Ad nauseum, or at least till we get to school.
(Interspersed with epithets of pophead, stinky butt, and piece-of-toast.)
I think you get the idea. Someone pass me the Zoloft.

********************

Speaking of Zoloft, I saw my shrink yesterday. Due to a scheduling conflict I had some interaction with one of his colleagues before I actually saw Dr. R. She checked my blood pressure (?), she interrogated me about my street-drug habits (I have none, just for the record); asked me about my antidepressant use during pregnancy and was I comfortable with this, had I informed my OB, etc. (have I not been stressing over the two heads/twelve fingers/ multiple whatevers of this child since the day of conception?); questioned the fact hat I haven’t seen my therapist in 6 months (I think after close to six years of almost monthly or at least bi-monthly therapy sessions, I can afford to be a little less neurotic) and generally made me feel panicky about whether she was going to give me a prescription for MORE DRUGS, which was pretty much the only reason I was even there. She told me that they needed to see me in four months (somewhere around a month after the baby was born – sigh) and they would “review my situation” then. Then Dr. R. saw me. Fifteen minutes of chit-chat, a prescription, and a directive to call him after the baby is born so he can call in another prescription if I need it. I don’t mean to make him sound cavalier or irresponsible; he is so not those things. But he’s been my shrink for close to five years now, tinkered with meds and dosages many times to make sure I was getting optimal results, and is confident in my ability to be aware of what my brain and the drugs are doing. I love him. And I will definitely be double-checking and confirming appointment times from now on. Because she scared me.

****************************

My PNP called again today tracking down even more phone numbers for various religious officials in a particular order. I am not even sure that half of these offices exist any longer, but since I am not Roman Catholic, what do I know? Here’s the thing: I punted. I called the international office of the order and explained what I was looking for to the very polite, helpful, and sweet priest who answered the phone. He obliged me with the phone number to the “ultimate” priest in charge of the order, the fax number, and the name of his secretary. Poor man, he didn’t realize what I had just let him in for. At least she won’t call him looking for the phone number of local pizza shops and grocery stores. I hope. This (in my opinion ingenious) solution did not please my patron however. She apparently wants my BLOOD, if not my actual brain cells. Ha!

**************************

I am a little more than a third of the way through Misfortune. There’s no doubt that Wesley Stace can write (judging from his songwriting abilities of his alter-ego John Wesley Harding, this comes as no surprise to me). The book is just this far to this side of weird to be a really engrossing read, but I think it will improve now that we have a first-person narrator as opposed to the omniscient narrator of the first chapters.

******************

Something else that occurred to me about HP. I realized during the 6th book that I really don’t care for Harry’s father at all. He sounds like such a jerk. His mother Lily sounds sweet and smart and likeable but James just comes across as a bullying show-offy jerk. My sympathies lie with Snape every time I read one of the scenes where James and his friends are bullying or teasing Snape. I always think, “Poor Severus. Why can’t they just leave him alone?” Is it just me?

11 comments:

Gina said...

The only thing that redeems James Potter is the people who love him. I'm guessing we see his asshole side because we're supposed to think he's . . . I don't know what we're supposed to think. He reminds me of the football players I hated in high school, but Dumbledore was a fan, and Lupin, and Hagrid . . .everyone loved him. You know?

I always do feel bad for the young Snape, though.

Sarah Louise said...

Hmm...this never occured to me. I guess I love James because Harry does, and like Gina said, b/c of the people that loved him...yes, I do feel badly also for young Snape too.

Peg said...

I like to think that the teasing I was subjected to in school ultimately made me a stronger, and kinder, person. It seems to me that it made Snape a bitter-er person, which is also a shame, because I wonder how much that hastened his turn to the Death Eaters? What's the point of joining the "good guys," if all they do is pick on you 24/7?

Kathy said...

No, you are not the only one -- I personally have this weird crush on Snape and I've not cared for James since the incident where he picked on Snape just to be a show-off. Like Gina said, he reminds me of those football players I didn't like in high school.

I started The Historian yesterday -- I'm really liking it.

Mojavi said...

HMMMMM.. I am late to jump on the HP band wagon, but I have them all on hold at the library.

Joke said...

Not that anyone cares, but I think James AND Sirius AND Severus are all, in the parlance of my days at school, pricks-on-skates.

I like Lupin.

-Joke, hopin' for a homorphus charm in book 7.

Caro said...

I really liked Snape too. (Maybe I just like "bad"guys) I was more crushed about him going over than I was about the person who died at the end. (though that stunk too.)

Caro said...

Regarding the arguments on the way to school. heeheehee Do you ever wonder if people see you driving down the road looking rabid? I know they do me.

David said...

Zoloft. I read today on another page that I should maybe be giving Zoloft to RoLaren to stop her peeing problem. Is there nothing it cannot do?

BabelBabe said...

David, as far as I am concerned, no, there is nothing the drug cannot do but perhaps I am not the most reliable source.

Anonymous said...

My name is Steven Martin and i would like to show you my personal experience with Zoloft.

I am 35 years old. Have been on Zoloft for 7 months now. This med did clear up the PPD, but weaning off of it has been absolute HELL. I got/am still getting the "zaps" that so many others talk about. Had I known it would be like this, I would have requested a different med. I will NEVER take this med again under any circumstances!

I have experienced some of these side effects -
Weight loss, upset stomach

I hope this information will be useful to others,
Steven Martin