Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Silly me, you know, I'm only God

You Are an Espresso

At your best, you are: straight shooting, ambitious, and energetic

At your worst, you are: anxious and high strung

You drink coffee when: anytime you're not sleeping

Your caffeine addiction level: high


(Funny thing is I actually prefer tea, but when in need of coffee, I am a latte drinker. Oh well.)

************************

I think if the Dems are smart, they will quietly applaud Bush’s nominee for Supreme Court Justice (Roberts is conservative but well-qualified. We could do much worse.) and then continue to go after Karl Rove.

This is incredibly impressive:
But in his career as a litigator, Roberts argued 39 cases before the Supreme Court, both as a lawyer in private practice and as one working for the government under Republican administrations. He won 25 of them.
Some facts about Roberts.
(I do ask you to consider the source (even though I personally love Salon)).

***************************

My vote on Rock Star: INXS? Jordys continues to lead. We know the girl can SING. Her rendition of Nirvana’s “Heart-shaped Box” last week was stellar. Her song this week – I didn’t know it - left her to make the best of a bad situation but as usual, the crowd –and the band – were eating out of the palm of her hand. And she makes it look effortless. But if the group is smart, they’ll hire JD too. The guy has balls and talent – doing an Alanis Morrissette song the way he did it took some serious cajones. (As did his interesting version of “California Dreaming” last week). Although his jerky little comment at the end almost ruined it for me. Daphna put on a *kick-ass* performance of Joan Jett’s “I Hate Myself for Loving You.” Her voice and stage presence are really well suited to Joan Jett’s style, so that helped. I can’t believe I am actually watching this, and even care. Oh and btw, I think Dave Navarro is a creepy little man.

******************

Snippets:

Very cool website. Gina and I did this on our old blog, but darn it, we never thought to create a whole new website.

This article on Slate about Roald Dahl, Willy Wonka, and chocolate-factory espionage made me think of this book, which I read several years ago and found immensely entertaining: The Emperors of Chocolate. Sugar can indeed make you crazier!

This morning it was NOT a hundred degrees when we got up. It was seventy and cool and breezy. It’s getting muggy and hot now at 9, but those two hours were bliss.

Note to self - if boys get to school when food is on table, they don't cry nearly as much as when we miss breakfast. It's hard to cry when your mouth is full of pancakes. (This might be a fairly good rule of thumb for life in general, come to think of it.)

The trees in front of our house turn out to be linden trees, I think. They smell wonderful but they make a dreadful mess.

If you feel compelled to raise your voice in anger while discussing personal affairs with a friend, perhaps you could see your way clear to do it somewhere other than the neighborhood coffee shop where there are children, and people trying to read quietly.

Does anyone care what I look like? (I mean other than people who already know like Gina and David and Marisa)? Because we are toying with the idea of buying a digital camera and it might be fun to post some pics, but also, I hate to destroy the mystery : ) What if you liked the blog until you saw my pic and then were totally turned off because I look like an ex-girlfriend or your evil third-grade teacher?

**************************

Jude’s grammatical constructs crack me up:
“Me like strawberries, no.”
“Me eat chicken nugget, yes.”
“Me have diaper change, noooooooo!”
“Me color coloring book, yes.”

This morning to Simon (actually he pronounces it Dyman), in the car:
“Simon, me talk to Mama, yes. To you, no!”

************************

Off to finish The Historian. And pick up The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie and Misfortune from the library.

4 comments:

Gina said...

I am espresso, too, which is odd considering the fact that I probably haven't consumed a full 8oz. of any kind of coffee in my entire life. How something that smells so good can taste so awful is beyond me.

Jess said...

Is the title a reference to Dar Williams or did I drink too much coffee this morning?

BabelBabe said...

It's from "Alleluia," on The Honesty Room.

David said...

Get a camera, they are fun to have.

The INXS thing is creepy compelling. I don't like Ty's hair.

Of course everyone cares what you look like (especially surfers not wearing pants).