Monday, July 25, 2005

We're experimenting with cryogenic techniques to simply freeze the actors until we're ready to go again...

I finished HP 6 last night. OK, I did cry. And I like the way Harry is portrayed in this one. He’s real, not some goody-goody annoying prig, which he was turning into until book 5 at which point he metamorphosed into a thoroughly and completely annoying moody and mean teenager. This book he is tempered by uncertainty but also a certain growing-into-his-skin confidence that appeals greatly. This is particularly evident in his scenes with the new Minister of Magic.

Speaking of the M of M, I was watching CSPAN last night and would you believe someone actually mentioned the scene to Tony Blair? He laughed, admitted his HP brief was slim, and made some other jokes. Once again I stand in awe of the British political system – not only do they actually talk to each other, and actually say things about politics and the country’s events that are meaningful and useful, but they also have great senses of humor. Can you imagine any of our pontificating pompous politicians acting like that? It was terrific.

Someone argued on their blog (can’t remember who, sorry) that this HP cannot stand on its own. That CS Lewis managed six standalone books in his great Narnia series, and that HP fell down here. I would argue that I see HP more as a multi-volume book rather than a series. This may be a grandiose comparison, but I think of Proust’s Remembrance of Things Past – one long story told over multiple books. I really think that may be the only way to view the HP books. The first three arguably could stand on their own, and maybe the fourth if you ignore all the stuff that isn’t the competition plot, but Books 5 & 6 can’t.

I was devastated by the identity of and actions of the Half Blood Prince. I have always harbored an odd secret liking for this character, perhaps because I really like the actor who portrays him in the movies.

************************

This article on mommy blogs was in the Post Gazette yesterday. She says a lot of important things, all of which I agree with. A sampling:

…one thing parents say they need to feel successful in child-rearing but rarely get (at least in satisfactory doses) is a support system that provides meaningful conversation and positive feedback.

In a blog, you not only get to compose your thoughts (hopefully with a glass of wine late at night), you get to do it in a stream without interruptions.

The most valuable thing, ultimately, about writing a blog… is that I am much more aware of the moments I have with them [the children], and, in turn, am more aware of who I am -- and who they are -- in those moments.

The coluumn’s author is local; I may email her just to say thanks and hi.

************************

Snippets:

I will read Wesley Stace’s Misfortune next since it’s a seven-day library book.

For Gina: John Cusack.

Simon spent *hours* yesterday building a beautifully intricate and inventive miniature golf course on the third floor. He has a tall church built out of Tinkertoys on top of the bongos, a house out of blocks, with cars and a garage, several Lego high rises, a zoo complete with animals, and a tower. It’s got signs and arrows and trees and it’s really incredible. I took pictures of the course and the proud architect. He is the manager, and Dan is the assistant manager, and Jude is the worker manager (apparently Si believes in Walmart-like management structures). I am the only customer, but there are prize buckets all ready for me should I win.

I was hanging out with the boys this morning thinking about the blog and made my notes for today’s entry on one of several Magnadoodles we own. You know you’re a mother when… : )

I am finding it more and more difficult to breathe properly and I still have ten weeks to go.

This story about the incubator-mom freaks me out. I am not entirely sure how I feel otherwise. I understand the desire for the baby to survive, but it’s just a little too cold-blooded and sci-fi that the family decided to keep the mom hooked up to machines for months. It feels like messing with the natural order of things to me. I don’t know.

5 comments:

Gina said...

Teddy once spent a day building a Lego amusement park in his bedroom, complete with rides, games, food stands, a haunted house, and a magic show. He made all the signs, and taped them everywhere . . . I don't know who was more proud of it--him or me!

Gina said...

Is there any research on babies gestated in brain-dead mothers? I think the creepy thing about it is that the baby is growing without the mother's cognizance, which means she's growing without her mother's love . . . is that too corny for words? Do you know what I mean here?

Kathy said...

I was also devastated by the actions of the titular character who's not Harry. I've always liked him and I've decided this was an action that was decided beforehand in order to thwart Voldemort in some way that I'm not aware of.

Peg said...

Val, I just read that JKR views the whole series as one big book, too.

The BTS kids continue to amaze and delight me, all three of them. One of my favorite parts of visiting.

Jess said...

I was wondering about how that would affect the baby, too - the complete lack of emotion from the mother. And their poor first child! Seems like he's getting the short end of the stick.

Hmm...a multi-volume book - that makes sense, particularly with the last two. I'm with you on that, Katya - I think it was pre-arranged.