Friday, July 15, 2005

Can't...stop...to...blog....

Must....read....The Historian....forget HP. I can't put this down.

I am a hundred pages into the 600-some-page book. If Kostova can maintain what she's begun, I know which book I will be giving for Christmas this year.

Historian has been likened to Da Vinci Code, which is sort of like insults along the lines of "Rush Limbaugh is a horse's ass, but we shouldn't insult the poor horse." Only backwards. If that makes any sense at all. So far the book it most reminds me of, not in beauty or scope, but in execution and compelling-ness (is that a word?) is AS Byatt's Possession. With a supernatural twist. High praise indeed. I'll keep you posted.

5 comments:

BabelBabe said...

But I did go to B&N at 9 Saturday morning to buy the new HP, before I went to work. I locked my car and hid the bag under the seat - because you never know. I'd hate for someone to steal my new HP : )

The clerk very nicely gave me two sets of HP glasses, and a green wristband, and a poster. The boys will love it. And maybe they'll even leave me alone while I read.

Kathy said...

Okay, I like vampire books if they're good but I hadn't made up my mind about The Historian -- I'll be reading it now. Good to know I'm not the only person not so thrilled by The Da Vinci Code. :)

My HP comes today -- I can't wait but I'm at work right now so at least I'm not looking out for the mail every 1 minute.

Kathy said...

btw, comparing it to Possession is what did it for me -- I think that may be one of my favorite all-time books.

BabelBabe said...

It's not as just downright lovely as Possession. But Kostova's a good writer, really evocative, with some memorable atmospheric set-up (once I am further in, I will "review" more extensively : ))and the method in which she chooses to relate her story is different and interesting but not distracting. It has that same scholarly feel as Possession, with referral to primary resources and layers of plot and characterization.

Kathy said...

It just sounds so lovely -- like Possession is lovely.