Thursday, July 21, 2005

Why oh why do they not make children with volume control??

If I hear one more bloodcurdling scream, one more “He hit me!,” “No, he hit me first!,” one more wail of “Mooooommmmeeeeeeeee!!!!!,” one more shriek as if they are having needles put into their eyes when in reality all that’s happened is that their brother has stolen their pillow or book or that damn Scoop; if I have to tell either of them one more goddamn time not to pull the cat’s tail, to wash their hands after peeing, to stop screaming at each other or me, to stop hitting themselves on the head, to stop throwing toys, to stop hammering on the metal radiators, that the laundry baskets are not meant to be ridden down the stairs like a bobsled, that no, we cannot watch one more movie, that the cushions belong on the furniture, that the bathroom is not a playroom; if I have to try to translate one more sentence of Jude’s that sounds like he’s saying “Abby and I are wearing naked pajamas (I am not making that up) or tell Simon one more time that his little friend Sarah has day camp and so cannot come over today; if I don’t get a nap today after having been awakened at SIX A-FREAKING-M by Simon demanding breakfast (Dan pointed out that Si was asleep by 8 last night. Yes, but I was not. Funny how that works. He probably didn’t have laundry to do, dishwashers to unload, and phone calls to return.), if one more stupidly well-meaning person tells me to just get them out of the house, if I don’t get a single damn moment of peace, I swear to God I am going to get into my car and drive off the nearest bridge. Wonderfully, blissfully alone. I realize this would be somewhat inconvenient for Dan as we are still paying off the car and it’s the only one that will fit us all in at once, and because he would then have to find a nanny or something, but I DON’T CARE. I am losing my mind. My children are making me insane. The poor kid in my belly is probably terrified to come out after listening to me yell at the other two all morning long. I’m exhausted and have a headache and cannot wait to go to work tonight.

8 comments:

Gina said...

Ugh. Do you have ear plugs? Seriously! Ear plugs would take the edge off, at least.

Can you get your sitter to come early today?

If not, I think the boys are probably better off watching another movie than they would be if you drove off a bridge. No?

BabelBabe said...

Mmm. Debatable : )

Dan's coming home early today to take them to his company picnic. Should be about 2 ish. Not soon enough.

As long as I ignore the noise and the mess they have wrought all over the house, I should be all right.

Gina said...

You can do it! How about doing something to create a mess on purpose? :-)

Caro said...

I'm sorry, but I am ROTFL right now. I so know how you feel. Someday I think the vein in my forehead will pop because I am screaming so much.

Kathy said...

I'm wondering the same thing myself. I have a hard time getting back to sleep once I've been woken up and my son last night came in and was just loud. I finally got back to sleep at 4:00am and my daughter gets up at 5:00 and she was LOUD. I had one hour of sleep last night -- maybe two.

BabelBabe said...

i just got new film/pics back today. i'll take one to work to scan and post - more recent than two Christmases ago : )

I may try to nap now. Sigh. Good luck.

Sarah Louise said...

Hang in there--it is partially the moon, which will wane, and the summer, which will fade into another gray Pittsburgh winter (ach, is this bad advice? sometimes the last thing you want is someone to say it WILL be okay someday--and you just want to say, SOMEDAY IS NOT A DAY OF THE WEEK! I send hugs.

BabelBabe said...

Oh bliss. I am at work. In nice cold AC. I’m feeling slightly nauseated due to the McDonald’s I had for dinner (moment of insanity) but otherwise peace…..blissful quiet and cool. Two hours ago I dropped the boys off with Dan who was taking them to his company picnic, and they will be asleep when I get home. Or at least they’d better be. I love them but at this point, I would sell them for a minimal amount. Or maybe just Free to good home. I’d probably miss them though. No, I definitely would miss them. Simon said in the car on the way to the Sside, “Mom, the wind in Little Bear is angry all the time. He’s a nice wind but he’s angry all the time.” I replied, “Sorta like Mama?” and Si said, “Oh, no, you’re only angry some of the time.” I am a worm. I do not deserve my children. Oh the guilt of motherhood. How can I stand it? Why must children be possessed by demons most of the day and then turn into cute cuddly hand-holding angels right about when you feel you could leave them with Genghis Khan as a babysitter without compunction? Jude cries because I have to go to work and kisses his finger and jabs me with it because he can’t reach across the car seat to kiss my lips. Si hugs my leg and worries that he will be hit by a car in the parking lot but knows I will protect him (he was in NO danger). They are excited by the thought of going to Target with me tomorrow, to run boring errands, just because they will be with me. And meanwhile, I, ungrateful, unmaternal wretch that I am, long for an hour away from them, in peace and quiet, with no obligations.