Sunday, April 09, 2006

In which my heart stops for the briefest of moments, Or, the moment every mother dreads.


Ten points to anyone who can identify this object correctly. I’ll wait while you consider.

[“Jeopardy” theme song playing here…]


......

......

......


If you guessed, the bottom part of a microphone stand that goes with the guitar Primo received for Christmas this year…you would only be half-right.

If, however, you guessed, the bottom part of the microphone stand that goes with the guitar Primo received for Christmas this year, that Segundo saw fit to jam into his mouth yesterday afternoon, so far and so deeply that he bled like a stuck pig, necessitating a trip to the ER and an overnight stay for observation because the mouth laceration was “alarmingly close” to his carotid artery? Well, then, you would win...well, there is no prize. Sorry. But you’d win. Isn’t the thrill of winning enough?

**************

So what is there to say? It happened while I was at work, and H called me at work around 5:30, once everything settled (we really need to get him a cell phone), and told me that Seg was FINE, they just wanted to keep him overnight for observation, “in case.” In case what? He started bleeding and didn’t stop? Pretty much. Until the CT scan came back (my brave boy had two CT scans! And an IV!) they were operating under the assumption that there was imminent danger to the blood vessels, including the artery.
So I elected to stay with Seg, and H ran home, got all the necessary stuff – like Mimi, and the sainted man even brought me a book – brought it back, and then left us for the night.

All the usual things that happen in a large hospital happened – the annoying roommate who had the TV on the entire time until she was discharged with her baby at 11 pm; the squalling teeny babies who made my heart wrench, and be so grateful that my babies are all healthy; the constant interruptions all night long for vitals, IV flushes, wound checks, housekeeping. No point in going into it in any sort of detail, we’ve probably all, sadly, been there.

The important thing is, we are home, and Segundo is just fine. The CT scans came back normal, there is no more danger. He is on a soft diet for the next day or so (he managed to eat three pancakes at the hospital this morning). The mouth heals quickly, he should be completely back to normal within the week.

And while before I clearly allowed my children to play with razor blades and small windpipe-sized marbles, no more! And I intend to be much more vigilant about HOW they play with their toys. Just for instance, the microphone stand will be used as a microphone stand….not as a trach tube…or not at all.

23 comments:

Badger said...

Jeebus Christmas! SO glad he's okay. Man.

Oh, and if this sh*t is contagious over the blogosphere like cold/flu bugs seem to be? I am so totally coming after you and Blackbird.

Kathy said...

Oh, BB, that is so scary! I'm so glad to hear that Segundo is doing fine.

Katy said...

what a horrible thing to have happen. I'm oh-so-very glad that Segundo is going to be ok, and now that will be his story when he gets older of his freak toddler accident.

And when he is in a band someday, he can remind everyone not to try to eat the microphone stand. Because that is so likely. (that his bandmates would think it sounded like a good idea, not that he will tell them)

Did you get lots of chocolate pudding? Everyone likes pudding.

Sarah Louise said...

WOW! So glad Seggie's alright!

Katy's comment got me laughing though, and thinking about my brother, who survived: eating a nail and taking too much Triaminic (my sister encouraged him)--both happened when he was below the age of 5.

And yes, H needs a cell phone. Hugs to everyone!!

Sarah Louise said...

oh, and my first guess was a match, except it didn't look like a match...

Joke said...

MY first guess was one of those tubes that genereally show up filled with sugar, artificial food coloring powder and artificial "fruit" "flavor."

Which wouldn't be all that much better to try to insert raggedly down one's esophagus.

-J.

blackbird said...

YOU
WIN.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear. Poor little Seggie. But mostly poor you. I'm glad it wasn't worse, although it certainly sounds bad enough.

Caro said...

My first guess was one of those tubes called "giggle sticks" that make farting noises.

Yikes - I am so glad he is okay!

You win the prize. He's home again.

Tell him to eat some ice cream for me!

Peg said...

I'm so glad he wasn't seriously hurt. My wish for you is a long soak in the tub with a rum-and-coke within arm's reach.

Gina said...

I hope you had a lovely, peaceful evening. And I hope you finished off the ice cream. :-)

Suse said...

Ugh, I felt sick for you all, reading this post. Glad things worked out and all is okay. Phew.

Go.eat.some.chocolate.NOW.

MsCellania said...

Horrible!
Wow, Segundo doesn't mess around when he decides to cause grievous injury to himself. I hope he's fine. I hope your heart is back in your chest from your throat.
What a weekend!

Jess said...

scary! glad all is okay.

KPB said...

So what is it with the kiddie hospital stays of late???
So glad all OK and now home.
Re the loud TV watcher - I am of the mind that if you can not teach your child the concept of consideration for others somewhere like a hospital where there are always many far sicker than you, then they are the part of the population that never ever are considerate of others. Its like a microscope on your parenting and the values you want instiled in your children. Or maybe I'm just a dragon in that regard...

Susie Sunshine said...

Note to self: squelch the kids interest in music because of the danger.



Best wishes for a speedy mouth/throat recovery. Holy crap kids enjoy ingesting frightening things.

jenny said...

Oh my god. Am breathing a sigh of relief over here for you. But you get to buy ice cream for medicinal purposes, right?

lazy cow said...

Saw this when I logged on this morning and wanted to say something supportive and caring but didn't know what. I should've said something anyway.
Glad to know Segundo is OK. These things just happen so fast and there is no way to prepare for them.

Angela said...

Wow. WOW. So glad to hear that all is well.

I am now going to remove all toys from my house. From this day forward, my children will be allowed to play with banana slices, and only one at a time.

islaygirl said...

dear God. I'm so glad Segundo's ok, and you deserve a nice day at the spa during which Xanax and white wine are dispensed liberally.

halloweenlover said...

HOW SCARY. Geez. So glad he is okay.

Anonymous said...

I held my breath while reading this. OMG, am so relieved for you all. Best wishes for a speedy recovery (for you all).

Poppy B. said...

HO-LEE SHIT, Woman! I just followed the link from Blackbird's blog.

I'm glad Segundo (and Youngest) is OK.

My son, my only son, is getting his hair cut today. I think I'll bring a pair of those round-edged kiddy scissors for the stylist to use.

(((BB)))