Tuesday, April 04, 2006

The Biggest Behind the Stove Pennies Can Buy

Hey my sweet little Internet ones - I am tapped.

I had a not-great day at work.
I was wearing a very uncomfortable skirt, for eight hours. I know, my own stupid fault.
My boss walked in on me while I was pumping and this was just that ONCE TOO OFTEN, along with her comment along the lines of "I thought you were cutting that boy off!" Uh, yeah, I'll get right on that. I know she doesn't mean it THAT way, but still. Tired. Of. Hearing. It.
I had a library school student come interview me for a class assignment, which was fine, she'd scheduled it last week, but I had forgotten all about it and had an urgent and real deadline -- for a mind-numbingly dull project.
And I am looking forward with dread - is that possible? - to another night of Terzo waking up every freaking hour and a half. Today a co-worker informed me smugly that another co-worker's two-month-old baby already sleeps six hours at a clip; I happen to think this is because she is not nursing - not nursing because it's, and I quote, "gross." But I am just bitter - and exhausted.
I had a kind offer to go out with Andrea and another friend and indulge in Yuengling (for me) and buffalo bites, but instead I plan to go to bed with Ben & Jerry and Ruth Rendell.
Tomorrow I will be back afresh - with lots to say about the library book sale, and the open access symposium, and all those other witty and insightful things you generally so look forward to hearing from me.

Peace out, dudes.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Motherhood is just one big sleep-deprivation experiment, isn't it? You poor thing. No wonder you want ice cream. Your sugar is low.

lazy cow said...

Sending virtual peppermint M&Ms your way. You're allowed to have a bad day. And that woman with the sleeping through infant? Well, my Boy was sleeping through at 3 months, but started waking for night feeds again at 5-6 months. So it pays never to be too smug :-)
I've nothing but admiration for women who pump (why do I feel like sniggering when I write that?) it must be exhausting. I would have done it but my kids never took to drinking from bottles, so they were permanently attached to me for 9 months apiece.

David said...

my dad walked in once when I was pumping. very unfortunate.

Anonymous said...

What is with these people and the "gross" factor about nursing? My just turned 30 colleague, a very intelligent woman, is 5 months pregnant and looked at me like I had suggested she streak naked when we talked about nursing. Her twin sister joined in on the gross factor as well as several other women in the office.

So much for supporting a mother's commitment to do the best for her kid!

Gina said...

My mother was appalled when I told her I was planning to nurse Teddy, and then hovered around the first few days of his life, nattering on about how I should "give that baby a bottle"--meaning that it should be filled with formula. I still want to smack her whenever I think of that, and it was nine years ago.

Sigh.

Oh, and I'll see your, "Peace out," and raise you a, "Word." :-)

KPB said...

Ugghhh. Hideous. Thinking of you loads and sending you big reassuring hugs and kisses from the other side of the globe.

Do NOT visit Dooce at the mo, she did a post on teaching Leta to sleep and my GOD the rabid lunatics it drew out of the ether. Hideous.

It's midnight, I've been up since 5 today (it's been 4.30 the last three mornings). I had a meeting tonight for Oscar's support service where I got a cursory 'thanks' and all the praise was heaped on the other woman involved who wasn't there (including a comment "I would have bought her flowers if she could have made it"). Then did the grocery shop on the way home that needs putting away. And then I've got to pump.

Ain't life grand.

Joke said...

WAIT.

In the nursing/pumpage talk, a very, VERY important subject has been given very short shrift.

(SHAME! SHAME!)

There was a library sale? AND NOBODY TOLD ME?

It's bad enough Hurricane Wilma cancelled our library sale, but to miss another one, well, that's just vexing like a muhfuh.

Peace (and quiet),

-J.

Caro said...

I like library sales, just not all the people that attend them. It's like the all you can eat buffet. They won't move and leave any good stuff for you.

There are many reasons women pick formula that are fine reasons. I don't fault them for that.

But to not breastfeed because it is "gross" is incomprehensible to me. Gross is denying your child the nutrition they were intended to have only because you are a stupid cow.

Giving birth is gross. Anything after that is cake anyway.

I hope you get some sleep soon. Add in this blasted daylight savings time and you must be a wreck.

My kids never slept through the night until they were weaned. Some kids are that way. And I'm not suggesting you wean. I'm all for going as long as you want to.

Joke said...

My kids had trouble sleeping through the night until TFBIM had to start working those brutal tax season hours.

We fixed that REAL fast.

-J.

P.S. It is proof weirdness is inherited that my kids preferred COLD (as in, let a few crystals form) milk. They didn't like drining their milk from the ...uh...source, either. A lot of expressin' going on.

Anonymous said...

Oh, dear. One of those days. Don't give up on the nursing and pumping. Bea didn't sleep through the night from 4months - 20. It will happen. This too shall pass. It could be much, much worse -- you could be Katie Holmes.