Monday, March 20, 2006

Va Va Voom

I feel like I have lots to report, but I bet I don’t come up with much now that I have time to write things down.

Things you should know:

Teddy does indeed have sleep apnea. This isn’t good, of course, but I have every reason to believe he will be fine. We have to go back to the ENT doctor to see what’s next, and in the meantime he’ll sleep with me. He doesn’t mind, and I can thump him if I need to. The sleep study showed that he had three incidents of apnea; two were “obstructive”, meaning that something’s getting in the way of his breathing. The other episode was “centralized”, which means his brain took a break from sending the signal to tell his lungs to breathe. I don’t think it’s as horrible as it sounds, because the . . . episodes, we’ll call them, were very, very brief. He didn’t need any stimulation or intervention. And his levels of oxygen, etc. didn’t get anywhere near dangerous.

I’m hopeful that the ENT doc will tell me he’s fine and will grow out of it. Otherwise? I’m getting one of those baby monitors that sets off an alarm when it detects that too many seconds have gone by without a breath. And Teddy will take that to college with him. And on his honeymoon. And to his retirement home.

The good news in all this, if there is any, is that I am NOT crazy. Small consolation, I know, but I’ll take it where I can get it.

Now, on to frivolous things. Because I like the frivolous. (And I’m not adding links, because I’m lazy, and because Ted wants me. Sorry.)

I saw V for Vendetta this weekend. I went right after work on Friday, all by myself. Do you do this? Do you go to movies by yourself? I kind of like it—it makes me feel so very independent. I had my book with me, so I read until the lights went down, and then I watched the movie, which was enjoyable in the way that unpleasant, dark, violent things can be enjoyable. And Natalie Portman is lovely and her little accent is charming and I wish I looked like her. My only complaint came near the end, when there was an extended Matrix-like stylized violence that made me yawn. I’m too old for that crap.

I also watched In Her Shoes this weekend, with the cable’s On Demand feature (which I really like, by the way). In Her Shoes is a total girl movie, but in a good way. I admit to liking Cameron Diaz, although I know a lot of people don’t. And Toni Collette is awesome—I wish she would hang out at my place and eat pizza with me.

The movie isn’t as good as the book, but the things that were cut out were very efficient and didn’t damage the story at all. There was one odd moment, where Rose and Simon are talking with some guys after a basketball game—it was awkward and didn’t advance the story or plot at all, and that was my only real beef. Oh, and I really liked the guy who played Simon. His name is Mark Feuerstein, and he reminds me of My Professor Love (BB knows who I mean). Where do I get one of those?

That's about it, I think. I'm off to cuddle up with the boy and watch Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, which I admit to liking at least as much as Teddy does.

Happy Spring!

14 comments:

Jess said...

I just saw In Her Shoes this weekend, too - I haven't read the book yet, but I could sense a little of an awkward transition, things that might have worked better on the page or if you already knew the character. And yes, the Simon character - I would take him home. With his food obsessions! So cute!

I go to movies by myself. Well, I can think of one. But I would totally do it again, I just work so many nights that I tend to just watch a movie at home so I can crawl straight to bed afterwards.

BabelBabe said...

I KNEW he looked familiar - he used to be on West Wing, and he was on this silly little sitcom I watched briefly called Good Morning Miami. He was also on an episode of Sex and the City I saw during my bleary-eyed maternity leave.He is yummy.

I LOVE going to the movies by myself. In fact, I prefer it.

Ted's wife will probably love the excuse to thump him on their honeymoon, so perhaps he could leave the monitor home that time...? H was curious about what *causes* sleep apnea. Do they know?

Kathy said...

I'm glad you know what's wrong with Teddy -- sleep apnea is a scary thing.

I also prefer going to movies by myself. I don't have to remind the people I go with to shutup.

I watched In Her Shoes with my daughter and it was a good movie for us to watch together -- my husband would've hated it but we enjoyed it. Simon is indeed very yummy.

Joke said...

I go to movies solo a lot. I married (and offsprung) people whose tastes (or maturity) will not permit them to enjoy the same films I do.

In Her Shoes seems exactly like the sort of film that would give me Those Kinds Of Cramps.

-J.

Gina said...

I'm not sure what causes sleep apnea--or at least not what causes some of the types. Obstructive apnea is pretty clear--sinus problems, enlarged tonsils or adenoids, obesity, or plain anatomy--it seems some people have weak throats, that kind of collapse while sleeping. As for the centralized kind, I don't have a clue.

Aside from a mortal fear of blowing his nose and seasonal coughing fits upon lying down at night and draining his sinuses, Ted's a fine breather. :-)

I like going to movies, period. I love taking Ted--even to stupid things, because I love being able to watch him watch something, and to talk about it with him after.

That said, though, it's pretty odd to think that we've built such a culture around communal movie watching, isn't it? Why do you need to be with other people to essentially sit in silence in the dark?

Joke's comment made me wonder if there could possibly be a movie like In Her Shoes, but for guys. Is there a book or movie about brothers (who don't necessarily covet each other's shoes)? Can you imagine if Rose and Maggie were Roger and Mike?

Joke said...

I'm guessing "not really."

There have been attempts, sure. But these have mostly resonated with women than men, even though it was about brothers and not sisters.

The Brothers McMullen was one such film. Mr. Saturday Night kinda/sorta/maybe was another, which is why it kinda/sorta/maybe resonated with men.

Men (in general) respond to films where characters face some sort of adversity together. Think The Right Stuff. Part of the reason is that men seem to be less wired to figure out "why" and more wired to figure out "how." As such, relationship-y films tend to fall flat with us and war films (which are NOT about blowing up and killing, but rather about surviving that sort of trauma) tend to fall flat with women.

Wow. I just went on and on, didn't I?

-J.

BabelBabe said...

wow, Joke, the only thing you *didn't* do was comment on your word verification.

Joke said...

My word verification word was "Beaches."

-J.

Jess said...

It is a bit odd that a lot of us feel this need to watch movies with other people. For me, it's all about discussing it afterwards. So there are some movies where I know that I want to see it with someone so we can debrief afterwards.

Caro said...

I would love to go to movie alone. Heck, I'm happy to go to the bathroom alone.

Gina said...

Beaches! Ha! :-)

lazy cow said...

Was going to leave a comment then drew a blank. Uh, oh yes, movies. Love going alone. I also take a book to read during the previews when I remember to bring one.
Glad Teddy is OK.
Joke, still chuckling about Beaches.

Lynne@Oberon said...

I love going to the movies - alone or otherwise. I have been trying to get to Brokeback Mountain now for about 103 years and never seem to have the time. But my crystal ball tells me that when hubby gets home there is a solo movie night in my future :)

Joke said...

SurfingFree,

Hope this tides you over:
www.starz.com/features/brokebackmountain
http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/video/brokebackfuture

-J.