Wednesday, March 29, 2006

The New York Post (Get it? Wow, am I funny!)



What can I say that you all don't already know about NYC? My favorite thing, I think, is that the city that never sleeps will serve you fresh pizza for breakfast. Ted's favorite thing is its proper appreciation for the importance of toys; he was impressed with the enormous Toys 'R' Us in Times Square, and spent a large chunk of his very own money buying a replica of a light saber in FAO Schwarz. See that stick-thing he's carrying in those pics up there? That's it. I have to admit that it's pretty cool, what with the light and sounds (you can't see the white tube in the dark, so turning it on and off makes it look like the "real ones", where the blade rises and falls), but he's been treating it like it's his Precious. I swear, he's been caressing it. He doesn't put it down, and was very much like a minor celebrity walking around with it in Central Park.

Ground Zero was very sad.

MoMA cemented a few things in my mind: 1.) Teddy's school is AWESOME--he knew a lot more about the some of the art than I did, and that is all thanks to his Art teacher. 2.) Teddy is now old enough to do the grown-up "audio tour" things, which is thrilling and rewarding to me. 3.) Teddy may know more about art than I do, but he's still my earthy, grounded, skeptical kid: "How can this slashed canvas be called art?" "I could paint a canvas all blue and frame it--would someone buy it from me?" "How is this art? It's a pink light in a corner!" :-)

The hotel was vaguely dodgy. There was no clock in the room, and I couldn't get the shower to hold to a steady temperature.

Car things:



Can you see this? The trip odometer reads just over 315 miles, and I still have more than a 1/4 of a tank of gas left. The Toyota Corolla may not be a cool car, but MY she is good on ze gas! I can't tell you how excited this made me. Well, I guess you can see that I was geeked enough to take a picture of it. :-)

Six hours in the car is nothing when Jim Dale is reading Harry Potter to you-it's like magic. (Yes, I know. I'm hilarious.

That's all for now. I'm off to read The Professor and the Madman (Oh, I read The Curious Incident while we were gone, and finished it this morning. I loved Christopher, and I appreciated the look from his point of view. Thanks, Andrea!)

Hooray for not going back to work until Monday!

17 comments:

BabelBabe said...

Well, I am glad you're back, and that you had a good time.

the gas thing - right w. ya.

and hey, Ted, nice light saber - take care not to cut off a hand or anything : )

David said...

I don't think I am ready even now for ground zero. :-(

blackbird said...

ahhh, Ted has found the force.
Hopefully he will use it for good.


Heard you may be joining the cinco de mayo(naise) meet up?
I look forward to meeting you!

Gina said...

I was surprised at how affected I was at Ground Zero. It's a big mess of a construction site, and I've seen it so many times on tv, but . . . I don't know. Seeing all those names really did me in.

And yes, I'm hoping to make it to the Cinco de Mayo fest, but only if I can avoid all naise. Ew! :-)

Joke said...

My friend Tim died on impact at Ground Zero. I can't even get anywhere near the financial district.

-J.

BabelBabe said...

I'm fairly certain I could not be around Ground Zero. I...just couldn't.

Sarah Louise said...

Egad--I just wanted to comment about NYC! Geen, I adore the pun in the title, I love the pix, and am glad you got to take a bite out of the big apple. Jon Sciezka's new book, Seen Art, has something to do with MoMa and it came about b/c he was looking 4 his friend, Art (as in Arthur, or Arturo) and asked a lady, have you seen Art? and she said, "[insert directions to MoMa here]" Glad u're back!

(see, I can't even talk about gzero)

vw: ejfna: it sounds like a word from the muppet show theme (manamana, dee dee, which of course I will forever think of as the Steelers song...) (it's Polamalu!)

Sarah Louise said...

oh, but I was on the plane (2nd one, from detroit to baaston) with a man who was supposed to be in a meeting that morning and decided not to b/c he had more work to do so was going to go on Tues eve or Weds am. I have goosebumps just writing about it.

(sl tries to talk about 9/11...)

The guy on the first plane, (from Pgh to Detroit) didn't wear his wedding ring (what's up with that?) and looked very much like Niles Crane from "Frasier."

Sarah Louise said...

oh, and I'm totally with you on Jim Dale. He is an angel from heaven as far as I'm concerned.

That is all.

BabelBabe said...

Are you sure?

Joke said...

I'd like to hear the Stephen Fry versions of the audiobooks, just to compare.

-J.

Gina said...

Oh, I know! I bet the Stephen Fry is wonderful!

Joke said...

Gina,

DO you know if SF does voice characterizations also, or does he just read the books "straight?"

-J.

Gina said...

I honestly don't know for sure, but I'm guessing he does the voices. Don't you think?

Caro said...

I want a small economy car. I am so sick of having a gas guzzler. Soon, very soon....

Suse said...

He does, he does. His Hagrid and Dumbledore are superb.

I didn't know anyone else read them. Who is Jim Dale, and please please PLEASE don't tell me it's someone who reads these quintessentially British books in an American accent for the American market. I don't think I could bear it. (Like the Disneyfication of AA Milne's Winnie the Pooh. I just can't go there).

Joke said...

Suse,

Jim Dale is an award-winning/nominated English actor who reads the HP books for the US market. He does an excellent job (although his Hermione is not ::ahem:: his strongest character) and is much beloved.

Now I'll have to hunt down the SF versions. I'm still not used to hearing an English accent say "sKedule" instead of "SHED-yule."

-J.