Tuesday, March 14, 2006

The mark of a mature programmer is willingness to throw out code you spent time on when you realize it's pointless. - Bram Cohen

Segundo was scheduled for a well-child check-up today. The only problem was, he’s not a well child. Neither are Primo, Terzo, or for that matter, Mama. In fact, my house sounds like a tuberculosis ward at the moment.
And my children are beginning to believe Motrin is candy. “Mama, peez I have some medicine?” Segundo asks plaintively. I am a mean mama and buy the dye-free kind, so it’s not as yummy as the purple neon stuff they got at the doctor’s office, but since already I spend most of my free time trying to conquer my Mount Everest of laundry, colorless Motrin bound to be upchucked was the way to go.

After a morning of listening to the two older boys bash each other on the head and fight over Thomas trains and throw things at each other, I decided that they were well enough to go to the doctor after all. (Now that’s a bizarre sentence, hmm?) So I broke the cardinal rule of mothering by waking the baby from his nap, loaded everybody up in the car, and took them to the doctor’s office. Where they proceeded to drape themselves all over the germy furniture in the doctor’s waiting and exam rooms, looking wan and feverish at the same time, doing everything but putting their hands to their foreheads in the universal symbol of the Dying Swan. I felt like I was watching a preschool version of “Camille.”

Of course I could SEE the doctor’s thoughts like they were displayed in a balloon over his head: “Why has this woman dragged three ill children here to my office? To contaminate others, along with every available surface? And why has she not already dosed them all up but good?” He distributed purple Motrin all around, in those plastic little shot glasses, making it look like nothing more than a healthy round of Purple Hooters, and Segundo at least perked up enough to wail halfheartedly when Dr R looked in his ears.

Terzo was so crusty it was embarrassing but I didn’t have the heart to scrub him clean with a wipe from the diaper bag. (Except I’d forgotten the diaper bag…) Anyway, warm damp washcloths in the privacy of our own home provoke enough of a reaction, thank you. (Did I tell you that he’s been snotting so much that once this weekend I went to pick him up from his nap and he was STUCK TO THE SHEET BY THE SNOT OF HIS NOSE?)

So finally, finally, it was all over. (Despite being so ill Seggie is in the 90th percentile for height and weight. Primo better watch his step, Seggie’s gaining on him.) I took them home and fed them pretty much whatever the hell they wanted for lunch and plunked them in front of the TV until it was time for naps. And then H came home and I ran away to my shrink to beg for more Zoloft. Sweet, sweet Zoloft, companion of my heart. You will not be reading any entries about *me* weaning off Zoloft.

Because I get that weirdo eyeball feeling ON the drug. Not to mention I am crabby enough already.

******************

I am taking a survey - Am I the only mother on the face of the earth who does not allow her children to drink soda?

Back when I was an idealistic pregnant woman, I swore McDonald’s would never cross my children’s lips– and yet they have an extensive and lovely collection of Happy Meal toys. I am not sure what I expected, as I lived on McDonald’s French fries through all three pregnancies’ first trimesters.

I swore I would never hit them, not once, not ever. The very first time Primo ran into the street when I wasn’t looking, I freaked out and whacked him one.

I said righteously, “My children will play happily with an old shoestring and a block of wood.” And yet we have an entire room devoted to their playthings, which could carpet said room when (um, I mean, IF) they are all out at the same time.

I promised they would not drink soda. And yet, they don’t. They have never even tasted soda. They probably believe Coca-Cola is merely some adult drink we must keep in the house so Mama can mix it with her rum. They drink juice, milk, chocolate and/or strawberry milk, even lemonade. But no soda. And yet I see parents feeding their toddlers soda all the time. I just wanted to, you know, mention that. That I find it odd that I actually managed to stick to my guns about something. So I probably should have just said to the pediatrician this morning, “Yes, but I don’t give them soda!” the underlying implication being that I really am NOT the horrible and unfeeling mother I appear to be to the casual observer.

***************

I finished The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time on my lunch hour today. Wow. What a great book. Andrea, I am glad you pestered me into reading it! (I thought this was an especially interesting companion read to Motherless Brooklyn.) Christopher Boone is just a hell of a character. And I find it ironic that a character who lacks empathy is so empathic himself. Andrea, didn’t you once say to me that you thought that everyone could be a little bit autistic? (Not in any way to diminish people who have been officially diagnosed with autism.) I only bring it up to say that it was a trifle unsettliing to be reading this book about this boy who is supposed to be so officially *different*, so *not* normal, and find myself relating to some of his issues. Sometimes, when I am stressed out, I feel like things are rushing at me, that my brain’s filters are malfunctioning and everything is screaming for attention at once. The Zoloft helps me cope with what I have always referred to as my sensory overload issues. I didn’t expect to find much in common with Christopher, and yet I did.
Also, I am going to make H read it – I have this theory that if he’d been born within the past dozen years instead of more than forty years ago, he’d be diagnosed with Asperger’s syndrome. Reference this quote by Bram Cohen: I tend to get obsessed with technical problems, and have a very long attention span, which are obviously good traits for being a programmer, and seem like Asperger's traits, but [because of] not having an almost-identical-except-no-asperger's version of myself, it's hard to compare.
Or, I don’t know, maybe H really is just a sociopath

16 comments:

Sarah Louise said...

The universal symbol of the dying swan...you are such such a digital-era librarian. Wow. As for the other mother stuff, cannot help. And I'm not smart enough to connect the post with the title, but maybe it was just a cool quote...or maybe you're commenting on how you had ideals (before kids) and now live in reality (after kids) and have thrown out some code that is pointless? BTW, meant to tell you I love Sary Lou. I'll put it in the nickname archive...and did you notice I didn't use quotation marks? Re-remind me what that book on html that's super easy--(and I am such a library patron right now)the one you mentioned ages ago. I think it was when Blackbird was moaning that she didn't know how to do html and you said, (pertly and expertly) "x book is exactly what you need!" I need to start writing these things down...

Badger said...

Okay, so if you liked both Motherless Brooklyn and Curious Incident and were able to grok the relationship between the two, the next logical step is for you to read Elizabeth Moon's The Speed of Dark. It's the only one of the three that I read AFTER the boy child's diagnosis, and the protagonist of the book is pretty much exactly the way I picture the boy child in 20 years. And it's a very good book. You'll like it if you liked the other two.

My kids drink soda maybe once a week, but NO CAFFEINE (and also, my kids are older than yours). We only buy caffeine-free sodas anyway, since I went off the stuff in college. DH has to outsource his caffeine, poor guy.

blackbird said...

My kids never drank soda.
When they were little.
But I'm the perfect mom.
I think I have proved that.

BabelBabe said...

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp?z=y&isbn=0321130073&itm=1

HTML for the World Wide Web, Visual Quickstart Guide

Joke said...

My boys do not drink soda, except when NOS goes to a party. Orange juice, milk, sparkling water or wine. (What? Shut up, we're Iberic ovah heah.)

I minimize my lovely wife's tendency to McDonalds-ize their food intake, swore that I would smack them if it came to that (sometimes it does, but rarely) and seeing as how these days I'm the laundry maven, I feed them whatever medicine is likeliest to be consumed.

But I have the benefit of being more cynical and less idealistic and, generally speaking, WAY more expediency-minded than most moms. This I attribute to my Y chromosome.

-J.

Kathy said...

Poor Terzo -- stuck to the bed like that. You know, I don't think I managed to stick to a single one of my "I will nevers" that I said before my kids were born. I'm trying to think of one and I can't.

I need a new book to read -- any ideas? I glad you liked The Curious Incident -- I thought is was wonderful. I found myself empathizing with Christopher a lot.

lazy cow said...

No Coke (though my husband gave them a Happy Meal with coke once when I was away, I was *furious* but he had to deal with the sugar-rush, ha!)They drink ginger beer as a treat, and lime cordial with soda when we go out. I *hate* seeing 5 year olds with Cokes at the movies.
Smacking - I don't do it (I have given a viscous arm tug or two though), but my husband sometimes does, and I feel OK because they deserved it and I didn't have to do it.
Quite strict on the toys but books? Bring it on.
The comment on the snot sticking to the sheet. Very evocative.
Now I have to bump up Mark Haddon's book on my list too.

Suse said...

I think Son #1 has aspergian tendencies. And I read somewhere that most computer programmers and engineers are aspergers and that the world would not run without them. Also geologists, I think.

Son #1 just finished Curious Incident for the second time. (I have yet to read it). I asked if he liked it and he grinned bashfully and said 'He says fuck a lot.'

When I was first pregnant, I said 'my babies will not have dummies (pacifiers), wear those horrible dribble bibs, cos they will not dribble, and I will not smack them, and they will not sleep in our bed and I will not use disposable nappies (diapers) and they will never have soft drink (soda).'

The soft drink rule is the only one I've stuck to. So! You and me, we are birds of a feather.

Anonymous said...

I hope everybody feels better soon. I love the image of the baby being stuck to the sheets. My kids don't drink soda very often, and we don't do McD's more than once a week. But chocolate is a necessity.

Caro said...

Get well soon.

Stuck to the sheets - too gross and funny at the same time.

I have not kept ONE mothering rule. We can't go to McDonald's any more, but we did go A LOT.

I think my husband might have Aspberger's. He has many of the signs.

KPB said...

No 'soda' (we here in the Convict Outpost call it fizzy drink) in this house. Only at parties. Felix is partial to tonic water with a wedge of lime when I go through my phases of it. It's the adult soft drink.
I'm so tired I want to post more, but my day today started at 2am, and yes, you read that right, I have been awake since 2am. It's now 9.36pm and I must go to bed.

Anonymous said...

Motherhood is rather humbling, isn't it? When I hear sweet young things saying, "No child of mine will ever [fill in the blank]..." I roll my eyes. But not while they're looking. 'Cause that would be mean.

Gina said...

Pop (soda) was forbidden in my childhood household, and IT HAS BECOME MY CRACK. I let Ted drink it whenever he wants, and maybe because of this he only seems to ask for it once or twice a week, and when we go to a restaurant or the movies.

I'm trying to remember if there was anything I said I'd never do or let my kid do before I became a mother . . . I never thought I'd hit him, but as Val did, I smacked him once when he ran into the street when he was two.

Oh, I know! Because I grew up in a town where all of the boys who didn't play football from the age of six were considered suspect in the sexuality department (and where you could earn varsity letters in date rape and drunk driving), I *swore* my son wouldn't play football--and predicted that he'd never even want to. But now I'd let him if he asked (and if the city had a league for kids his age). Does that count?

EdotR said...

loved your doctor's office encounter...especially the Purple Hooter shots..lol...

Kids tend to go to two extremes at Doctor's offices:
1.they are really dramatic
2.they are cured, by miracle, once u step foot in the office..

Soda: the beverage from hell..
Miss C is not supposed to drink it...and if she does it should be sprite or 7 up..with no color..somehow her grandparents seems to ignore this rule as they pour the 3 sippie cup..assuring that a lil' soda ain't gonna hurt no one..

Jess said...

"The Universal Symbol of the Dying Swan" - love it. And I can just picture your boys doing it, too.

We didn't drink soda until we were in gradeschool, and then the 3 of us kids (plus mom) would split one after my ballet lessons. Then we graduated to the occasional half a can with dinner (but only with certain meals, like tacos or pizza). Then we were guzzling it. I drink maybe one a month, now, and my mom is trying to get my teenage brother off of it. Stick to your guns.

lazy cow said...

Oh LOrd, I wrote viscous instead of vicious. I'm so embarrassed.