Thursday, March 02, 2006

Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow Creeps in this petty pace from day to day, To the last syllable of recorded time. - Shakespeare

I have to write everything down, or my OCD-wired brain will run through every planned event, every doctor appointment, every work schedule change, every birthday or anniversary, over and over, in Rainman-like fashion, all day and all night. Once I write it down, my brain wipes it and then I just have to make sure I check the calendar everyday.

I used to carry a pocket calendar, but since my center of operations is generally home and not an office cubicle anymore, the calendar on the fridge works.

This year's is a $1 Target jobbie. The freebie zoo calendar we get with membership didn't come in time, and I was starting to get nervous, so I bought this lovely beach-themed one while Christmas shopping (it was better than the kitten-themed one - it was slim pickings). The zoo one showed up just after Christmas - I like it but all the birthdays and whatnot were already recorded on this one.

I love the shore and am hoping that looking at these pictures will help me relax a bit.

When we moved I got very organized - amazing how having enough space will help that - and posted the calendar on the fridge along with the phone list and the trash/recycling schedule. And I just spent the morning consolidating my email accounts and setting up filtering rules so mail to different accounts goes into different folders - then I got really crazy and cleaned up my address book, alphabetizing and adding numbers and such. Sometimes the OCD thing is a blessing in disguise.

Thank you to Badger for suggesting this show-and-tell theme (I do hope the aliens were gentle, dear), or I might not have remembered to change calendar month until it was too late! Here comes March - in lilke a lion, I hope out like a lamb.

**************

Thursday Show-and-Tell, courtesy of Blackbird

11 comments:

Sarah Louise said...

Lovely, dahling. Lovely.

mathomhouse said...

Mmm, I've just spent an inordinate amount of time daydreaming about sandy beaches in the Bahamas....

Caro said...

My calendar has lighthouses. My grandma got it for me.

Let's all go to the beach and have a margarita party!

blackbird said...

that is a VERY organized looking fridge, I must say.

oh.
the.
beach.

BabelBabe said...

bb - just don't ever make us show you the INSIDE.

Anonymous said...

Your frig front looks so orderly. LOL You are making me long for summer and sand and oceans.

Anonymous said...

Love the beach theme. Lordy,can it be summer sometime soon?
PS-I totally agree on the must write it down thing. If I don't write it down it does not happen...or worse, it happens badly.

Kathy said...

That March picture makes me feel relaxed already and I'm at the reference desk!

halloweenlover said...

I also have to write everything down. It is a sickness, I think.

I like the calendar! Very relaxing.

lazy cow said...

I need to write everything down too. Naturally. I refer to my calendar and filofax obsessively. It's an age/having children thing for me, I'm petrified I'll forget something. I have a friend who doesn't write ANYTHING down (then drives everyone crazy by calling to see if/when/how we're getting together). Grrr.
Love the beach calendar.

Bookhart said...

I too have an OCD complex about my calendar. When I switched jobs, they gave me a Palm and now it's gotten even WORSE. I'm compulsive about sync-ing so that I don't ever accidentally miss an appointment.