Friday, March 10, 2006

People who say they sleep like a baby usually don't have one. - Leo Burke

WHAT am I doing awake at 4am if the baby is not? Well, I’ll tell you: the baby WAS, and during that lovely if brief interlude I discovered that if I remain upright, the coughing stops. (Does anyone else remember that old joke? No?)

(Oh, and you don't need to call CYS; he is only napping in that chair, and I am RIGHT NEXT to him, at the computer. He sleeps in his crib at night. Lest you worry.)

Tomorrow I go to have coffee with an old friend and her cousin, who also happens to be one of the moms at Primo’s preschool. J is the (non-screaming and fair) mother of four – including a set of twins. She is thin and beautiful and immaculately and perfectly put together, her house is a showpiece, her minivan is clean, her children are always pressed and neat, not to mention beautiful – and I really like her and want her to be my friend.

I know, I don’t get it either, but there you have it. Well, in addition to being all these things, she’s funny, smart, talented, and down to earth. God how I hate some people. Especially those who I really like. Dammit! (I have a sneaking suspicion that some of my sweet Internet ones are much like this woman, and everyday I thank God that you all can’t observe me in my full disheveled, snotty-nosed-children, crazy mess of a natural habitat. You, sweet ones, only see the clever, razor-witted, and funny me. Ahem. And modest. Have I mentioned modest? Except Gina, who sees all this and loves me anyway. Will wonders never cease?)

Then I get to have lunch with another old friend, from college, who has just informed me that she is pregnant with her third child. She is a doctor, as is her husband. They live in a lovely old house, have two beautiful boys, are well-put-together and good-looking themselves, are active in their synagogue and volunteer activities, and throw great parties. I have to return the maternity clothes I borrowed from her, so I'd have something to wear to work other than old sweatpants and ratty T-shirts in those last months. Yeah, why does it seem that I am friends with all these people who so have their shit together? How does that work out? Is it like being friends with the ugly girl in high school, you can’t help but look better by comparison even if you have a zit and braces? I wonder if that is my function in their lives? (No, not consciously – they are all NICE, too. Sickos.) So at least I am doing some small good in the world. Thank God I am not totally useless.

**********

I finished Laurie King’s The Game and was pleased by the cleverness of it, and as usual, by the character of Mary Russell. Why do I find the unlikely combo of Sherlock Holmes and Mary Russell so interesting? Sherlock Holmes is like one of those guys who could never like me in college – aloof, mind-blowingly intelligent, good-looking in that craggy, austere sort of way – the type of guy who always had me scrambling like an over-eager puppy to be noticed. And Mary snags him. And Mary might like me. So that’s the connection. I guess. Why am I contemplating this about fictional characters? See above. Sigh. Even my fictional companions have their shit together, damn them.

***********

I don’t know what I will read next – I will finish The Shadow Man, I guess, but otherwise…maybe wrap up Left Hand of Darkness; start the Nancy Mitford I checked out of my work library last week, The Blessing and Don’t Tell Alfred, in one ancient volume. Or maybe I will give in to peer pressure and try The Lovely Bones again.
I was thinking about this last night, and if they would just stop publishing books for a while, I’d have half a chance to catch up. But as it is, I am going to go to my grave moaning, “But I didn’t finish…” reading whatever it was I was reading when the Grim Reaper popped in for tea and cookies. Isn’t that a great visual.

***********

I work both days this weekend, so a co-worker can go out of town. When my babysitter called me, sick, at 630 am yesterday? I wanted to cry. I had to call out of work. But I get to go to work all weekend. Bliss. I can remember when working weekends was cause for much groaning and moaning and bitching and complaining. Now it’s practically a vacation.

12 comments:

lazy cow said...

Your friends sound like they've been possessed by Flylady :-) I tried her way but am naturally a slob and don't care enough. Don't worry, I'm sure they secretly want to be more like you.
Read the Nancy Mitford. I love those books. In fact, I may re-read them myself this weekend, once I finish Stones from the River (which I'm thoroughly enjoying up to page 70).
Understand your musings on Mary and S.H. I don't think M would like me though - too frivolous (or in Penty parlance 'I have the sin of levity').

Sarah Louise said...

Hey what about me? I love you too! (and you may have seen my apt. on its only good day in ten years, but you know it was like that because my mother came and like mother and daughter, cleaned til the dust bunnies went bye bye.) Newsflash: they're back and I could care less.

Loretta--Yes, flylady was fun for five minutes three years ago.

I've started on my required reading though...

Peg said...

I just requested The Game from the library. Seeing as how it's billed as "A Mary Russell novel," which one(s) should I read before reading The Game? I've also requested The Beekeeper's Apprentice.

Caro said...

Ah, coffee with friends sounds heavenly.

My house looks horrible all the time. Where do people find time to clean it and be a good parent and have a balance?

Are there classes in how to do this?

blackbird said...

I am not going to say whether K and I have our shit together or not, but I am going to suggest that it might be possible that you are a good friend, and fun, and interesting and smart and good company, and that people who have their shit together don't ever think about whether or not you do too.

Kathy said...

blackbird: that makes them doubly evil -- they don't even think about whether or not you have your shit together! But I, of course, obssess about the fact that they have their's together and how did they manage that?

BB: I thought I was the only person who worried that I wouldn't be finished with all the books I wanted to read by the time I died.

Peg said...

(Several hours later)

Forget the books, let's talk about that sweet baby! With those cheekers, oh my goodness, to be able to just gobble 'em up would be bliss.

Jess said...

If they would just stop publishing long enough to catch up...if only!

I suspect I'll work weekends, at least partially, for the rest of my life, but I'm glad to know that someday it will sound exciting.

Anonymous said...

This reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask you. Exactly how fast do you read? You whip through books, AND you have 3 little kids, AND you spend at least some time on the internet. WHEN DO YOU HAVE SEX WITH YOUR ROCKSTAR HUSBAND?

Gina said...

Totally off the subject, but I just finished jennsylvania's "Bitter is the New Black", which I enjoyed tremendously (a wonderful distraction from my current gastrointestinal/menstrual/sinus miseries, and that's really saying something). Run out and pick it up--it's a good time, and it's wonderful to read a blogger's book.

Sarah Louise said...

Hmmm. Think I'll see if a library has Bitter...first. But check this out (c'mon, we all need intrigue at 9 am on a Saturday...): Barnes & Noble has used dealers that are selling Advance Publisher copies. I just sent an email to rat on them. Hmmph. "Not for sale" means do not sell this. Sorry, had to get out my righteous indignation. Gina, I hope you are feeling better. I have an amazing salt water remedy for sinus stuff if you're interested...email me.

BabelBabe said...

Miz S - Sex? What's that? : )
I do read very quickly. I also don't get nearly enough sleep. And my children have been known to whine, "Put your book down and play with us!" Um, why? Why do you think I had three of you? So you can PLAY WITH EACH OTHER while Mama reads, of course. Duh!

I too picked up Bitter - and sat up way too late last night reading it - - I think you should all go out and BUY it to support Jen. It's a really entertaining read, and it's paperback so it'll only run you about twelve bucks.

But yes, Curious Incident is indeed next, I swear.

I have no trouble with people selling Advance Copies, sorry, or at least not post-release.