Wednesday, March 15, 2006

Confess your sins to the Lord and you will be forgiven; confess them to man and you will be laughed at. - Josh Billings

Confessions, courtesy of Kim.

If I am having a really, really bad day? Sometimes I take two Zoloft, even though I *know* they don’t work that way.

I also have a secret stash of Valium – not that I have ever used one. They scare me. But it calms me down just to *think* about them being there, should I ever need them.

I obsessively check my blog comments...even though I have them emailed to me as well. I also obsessively check my regularly-read twenty or so blogs, to see if anyone has updated YET!

I steal money regularly from my children’s piggy banks to support my coffee habit. And sometimes my book habit. But mostly my coffee habit. And I do mean steal, I do not pay it back.

I don’t like to lend my books out. Because I don’t share well with others. And I know people are NOT GOING TO GIVE THEM BACK.

When I am driving long-distance, I prefer quiet. No music, no books-on-tape, nothing. Silence. Me, my car, and hundreds of miles of sweet silence.

My husband is not aware that I consume several pounds of chocolate a week. I hide the bar wrappers from him. Not that he’d care, but then he wouldn’t let me complain about being fat, either.

Also, I buy the expensive chocolate I like when I buy the groceries, so they fall under “Household Expenses” and not “Luxuries” in the budget.
Because I can only steal just so much cash from my children.

I really, really want a tattoo. But I am afraid of hepatitis AND it would gross my husband out. Both of which are totally lame reasons for not getting one.

Occasionally I will stay up in the middle of the night after the baby has gone back down easily, and read or blog in peace, and then complain to H in the morning that the baby kept me up all night and I am really tired.

I lie to H about what’s in recipes because I know there are certain things he will not eat (oil instead of butter, for example).

I almost never answer my phone. So don't even bother calling.

I have not been on an airplane since April 2001. Not because the kids make it impossible to travel, or the opportunity hasn't arisen. Although those are the excuses I use. But because I am TERRIFIED of flying. I KNOW my plane is going to crash, and leave my children motherless (not so sure this would necessarily be such a bad thing...), and I wouldn't get to see them grow up, and it scares the bejabbers out of me.

Conversely? Sometimes I wonder: if H were run over by a bus, would the life insurance payment make my life simpler? Not that I *want* him to be run over by a bus - I'd miss him terribly - but it's just that niggling thing about money worries...

I have read The Da Vinci Code. And I even sort of enjoyed it. I know it was dreck. But it was entertaining dreck.

13 comments:

Sarah Louise said...

I know I have two books of yours--but I cannot find the dust jacket for The Thorn Birds. Slaughter me now, quickly, so it doesn't hurt... and I'm with you on the obsessively checking blog comments and email and other blogs.

Gina said...

So do you feel as if a weight has been lifted? I have nothing to confess, as I am perfection itself. :-)

BabelBabe said...

No, but now I really wish I hadn't given Dr Reich the URL : )

Gina said...

PS--I didn't read DaVinci, but I certainly devoured Angels & Demons in a sitting or two, and had a good time doing it.

blackbird said...

what's great about these posts is the free feeling they give us --
what's bad is that I find other things I should confess to after I read other peoples...
like, for example -
you may not drive my car. ever. no one drives my car.

Jess said...

Chocolate is my great secret-eating vice. Sometimes I'll stash bars in my bedroom to munch on at night. I also don't like to admit how quickly I can go through a pint of ice cream.

lazy cow said...

Yes, yes, on the life insurance money! God forbid anything ever happened to him.
I buy makeup at the supermarket so it comes out of the household budget.
Do you use Bloglines? So much easier than checking on everyone's individual blogs.
I really don't look down on you for reading TDC, everything else you read makes up for it :-)

Sarah Louise said...

Bloglines never really caught on for me. Maybe because people's actual blogs have more color. I have an account that I check once in a very blue moon...maybe that's what I'll do while on desk today!

Oh, and Babs, check your "milk box" for some goodies. (i.e. borrowed books--I got to come home for an hour and do dishes this afternoon)

Caro said...

I agree with Andrea. The chocolate should be the reward for doing the shopping.

I take my kid's money sometimes. As much as I spend on their darn toys, it more than evens out in the end.

Joke said...

I do NOT and would NEVER take money from my kids.

I do, however, fine them when they are grounded.

-J.

KPB said...

OHMYGOD - the money from piggy bank thing, tick. The staying up after baby in bed thing, tick. The valium and drawing comfort knowing they are there - I used to have a packet of cigarettes in the back of the cupboard for the same reason. So tick. But I don't smoke. The not answering the phone thing - tick, although working from home and suddenly being a social activist has changed that behaviour of the last 10 years in the space of two weeks. I felt so dirty reading The Da Vinci Code. Tick.

Sundays are now officially the Post your Confessions day. So bring it on.

Joke said...

FWIW,

I'm up.

-J.

Jess said...

I use bloglines but ALWAYS click to go to the real blog - it's my way of keeping track of what's been updated.