Monday, November 14, 2005

The problem with cats is that they get the exact same look on their face whether they see a moth or an axe-murderer. ~Paula Poundstone

One five-year-old who wants to sit on any body part but the one designed for it; one two-year-old who wants to lie on the floor in the vet’s office and who insists on bringing Mimi everywhere but then wants me to carry her, and who needed a nap an hour ago; one baby who won’t sleep in the car and wants badly to poop and go to sleep but can’t seem to do either; one pissed-off cat jammed in a carrier; one mama heading for a nervous breakdown. I am so having a drink tonight, nursing be damned. Maybe some rum will make the kid sleep.

We left Em at the vet. She needs X-rays. They thought maybe she’d dislocated her hip. Then they thought maybe she cracked her knee. Maybe it’s just a strain. They won’t know without an X-ray, for which they must sedate her. Here’s an idea: screw the cat and sedate me instead. They’ll call before five so I can come pick her up. Yep, load the whole crew back into the car and go get the cat. Stupid cat. Stupid vet. Stupid me.

Update: the cat has a bruised knee and a fractured pelvis. These injuries, probably due to being sideswiped by a car (shame it didn’t finish her off…oops, did I say that out loud?), will heal on their own, given time. She will have trouble with stairs for a while (did I mention the litter box is in the basement?) And I have to get some sort of painkillers from the vet to give her. So in addition to dealing with administering Zantac twice a day, Omnicef antibiotic once a day, and Nyastatin after every feeding, to Terce, my HUMAN infant, I now have to jam PAINKILLERS down my CAT’S throat.

Life is so not fair – I should be the one getting painkillers.

*******************************

I cannot read Wickett’s Remedy. I just can’t do it.I tried, I swear. The little annotations must be read, says my OCD, and they are annoying and uninteresting and useless. They disrupt the flow of the story. So there.

********************************

Primo told his preschool teacher this morning that the pilgrims came to America on the “Cauliflower.” He also told her that, while she might think that he was just thankful for her as a teacher, he was thankful for the teachers at his old school too. Yep, he’s a charmer, that one.

*********************************

A baby was baptized at church yesterday. I managed to hear most of the ceremony before Terce woke up and I had to carry him out and feed him. It strikes me that the Episcopalian ceremony is incredibly similar to the Catholic one. We discussed baptizing first the baby, and then the two older boys. We realized we need godparents for them. Then I realized I needed to be baptized as well, if it came to that. I am not sure I am that invested yet. We shall see. I wonder if the grandparents will mind that it’s Episcopal instead of Catholic? Will they attend the service? Some of Dan’s family threatened to not come to our wedding because it was in a Methodist church; do the same rules go for christenings? Inquiring minds want to know…

**********************************


We call this one “American Gothic.”



What, I can’t hear you, I have a pacifier in my ear!

4 comments:

Gina said...

I can't believe how big Terce is getting! And OH those bright eyes!

Caro said...

Sweet little boys in those pics. Glad to know cauliflower is good for something.

Joke said...

Catholic grandparents should not mind because:

1- The Nicene Creed specifically states "...we believe in one baptism for the remission of sins." (According to the Catholic Church, the baptism of 99.9999999% denominations "counts" but I think the Mormon/LDS baptism does not.

2- Episcopalian is SO similar to Catholic, liturgically speaking, and, most importantly

3- It's a damned sight better than the scenario was, say, 6 months ago.

-J.

P.S. I wouldn't worry about your baptism. Save it for your deathbed like Emperor Constantine.

Anonymous said...

Oh Dear God, those boys are adorable. Sorry about the cat. Poor thing.