Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Don't look so sad, Marina, there's another part to play...save it for a rainy day...

On my way to the vet’s last night, I was actually in a great mood. Dan got home way earlier than expected so I got to leave Terce home too. I stopped and picked up some groceries. I stopped at B&N and spent the gift certificate from my Perfect sister-in-law - I bought Colleen McCullough’s The Ladies of Missalonghi, Poppy Z. Brite’s sequel to Liquor, Prime, and a book about Bombay called Maximum City: Bombay Lost and Found, by Suketa Mehta. So as soon as I finish Thorn Birds, I have stuff to read. ‘Cause, you know, I didn’t before. Nothing just lying around my house, unread. Waiting to be read. Nope. Not me.

*********************************

What is it about large expanses of water that make me want to leap in and swim around in circles?



I would like to put some bird feeders up in our yard and then learn about birds that come eat there, but it seems kinda cruel to lure them in only to have Emmy rip their heads off, no? Maybe if she has a splint on, it’ll slow her down for a while, but still…seems heartless. So I just admire neighborhood bird feeders.



The intricate gate caught my eye.


Upon further snooping, I discovered the lovely garden and fountain – in the middle of the city. Cool, huh? The gardening/yard decoration feats around this neighborhood sometimes surprise me but always please me.



Sta’aka. (Read The Sparrow, it’s good.)

7 comments:

Gina said...

Is that the Jayhawks, Val?

Andrea: Are you spending Thanksgiving in the mountains with family who will distract you and demand attention? If so, I'd go for comedy. How about Wodehouse? Or even Jonathan Ames's (much more risque) homage to Jeeves, "Wake Up, Sir!" I finished reading this while I was eating lunch alone in a bagel shop, and I laughed out loud like a fool.

And while we're talking about Jonathans, you might want to look into Jonathan Coe's "The Winshaw Legacy". That's got comedy AND a horrible family, which might be just the thing for Thanksgiving. Val didn't like this one, but it made me a Coe fan forever.

BabelBabe said...

read david mitchell's cloud atlas. it requires some brainpower. but it's great. it was shortlisted for last year's booker. gina and i both loved it. we give it 2 thumbs up :)

or the time traveler's wife - not comedy, either one, but wonderful.

on the lighter side -
i just reread anthony bourdain's kitchen confidential and had forgotten how much i enjoy his snarkiness.

i need to retry the coe; i think i was just in the wrong mood. and yes, the bombay book is non-fiction. but as i am a huge rushdie fan and india for whatever reason intrigues me, i am looking forward to it.

BabelBabe said...

yep, it's a jayhawks tune dan and his new band guy/singer are covering. so i have been hearing it over and over. fortunately they do it really well : )

Peg said...

I realized this morning that I officially have a BTS morning ritual. I check up on the latest postings, and then I scroll to the bottom and feed the fish (which, quite often, reminds me of Mr. Rogers). :)

No Emmy update so I'm hoping that's in the process of settling down... I think you did very well by her with the special box and set-up in the basement. Does she eat wet food? Might be able to give her meds in that. Hey -- no derisive laughing from you more experienced cat-owners out there. But my first thought was, do you have any feral colonies nearby that she could be released into? I'm serious.

See there -- I swore I wasn't going to weigh in on this issue, and I did anyway. In an entirely different post, even.

Katy said...

Time Traveler's Wife is freakin' amazing! You should absolutely read that, if you don't insist on total linearity in your novels. Also, it takes place in Chicago and Michigan which is cool.

Peg, what would happen to a domestic, injured cat that was released into a feral colony? That sounds like dead-Emmy pretty quick, though perhaps that is the point.

Jess said...

So you guys are the ones that recommended Cloud Atlas! It was driving me crazy - I had it come in on hold and didn't have the energy to plow into it without having someone hold my hand and say, "yes, read it." So I'll give it a try.

BabelBabe said...

read it, it's great.
work but worth it.