Friday, November 18, 2005

Blogging in the Sticks

I'm writing from my parents' in Mt. Pleasant, PA. The zip code here here is 15666, which pretty much sums up this place--the town where you can get a varsity letter in drunk driving. (I'm kidding about the letter, but not the zip.)

I'm here because my mother had her gall bladder removed this morning, about 20 years after she was told she needed to have it done. My mom, you see, is a nurse. (And a martyr.) She's one of those medical professionals who will baby and care for and drug everyone in town, but won't lie down or take a Tylenol when something hurts her.

I have my own martyr tendencies, but I'm good friends with drugs and period patches and hot water bottles and Vick's Vapo-Rub. I carry Immodium and Advil and tissues and cough drops and lip balm and a plethora of other pharmacy aids in my purse: I am the lady to look for if something ails you.

Anyway, my mom is fine, and sound asleep in the only upstairs bedroom that has a TV in it. (This way she can be sure to watch Guiding Light live this afternoon, instead of tape on this evening. It's the little things, I guess.)

*****

Once we knew my mom was okay, Teddy and I (yes, I kept him home today because I didn't want to have him stranded at school in case something went wrong with my mom) went to see Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire at 10am! Huzzah! It was great! You finally, FINALLY start to see the kids as real people in this one. I'm going to credit the director for this, but the main credit has to go to the kids, who are finally learning how to act. And they swear a lot: "Bloody hell," and even a disgusted, "Piss off." Yes! Because kids swear! Imagine!

The movie is long--more than two hours--despite the things that are changed/rearranged/cut from the book. The story isn't damaged by some of these (somewhat major) changes, however, and the movie didn't *feel* long at all. Ted and I both want to go again.

Random things:

I noticed Fred and George Weasly more than usual in this one. They *look* perfect for the part, but they gave off an odd vibe. I kept thinking of a cartoon version of a drugged up Ringo Star, in a (mostly) good way.

Hermione at the Yule Ball=LOVELY. I was so happy for her! :-)

Snape is almost . . . benign in this movie. Alan Rickman nearly smiles in one scene.

Ralph Fiennes does a great job as Voldemort. His voice is perfect.

I cried during the scene in the graveyard and its immediate aftermath. Ted said he felt like he might cry, but he didn't. His knees were literally shaking, though.

The bottom line is that the book is still far superior, but this movie is fun and exciting, and I was sad that it was over.

We saw the trailer for Peter Jackson's King Kong, and GOD! I hadn't given this a second thought when I heard it was being made, but I will see it for sure.

And now I must scare up some lunch.

5 comments:

Sarah Louise said...

Okay, I know show and tell was red but color me green!! This was going to be the first one I ever saw on opening day (before my date with the stairs). Oh well. I'm glad it was good. I'm sure I'll see it many times and in years to come it won't matter that I didn't see it on opening day, but...color me GREEN! Glad your mom's recovering. I understand about the TV--it's why I'm still sleeping in my TV room. Cool too, that your mom is nearby.

Kathy said...

I liked it but went away from it with a vaguely disappointed feeling that I cannot place. Hermione did manage to look lovely despite the dress that I didn't like. Fred and George were more noticable in this one and their voices are so deep!

Glad your mom is fine.

Peg said...

Alan Rickman and Ralph Fiennes in the same movie. Why am I only learning this today? It's enough to make one swoon.

Speedy recovery to your mother, Gina.

P.S. Your purse? So not surprised.

Joke said...

I mostly agree witcha on HP4. Still, I wanted to march off all the boys off to the barbershop, esp. the assorted Weasleys who looked like they were trying out for The Who Wannabe of the Year.

Hermione did make me wanna be 18 again, though.

-J.

Joke said...

P.S. I'm a-guessing the "vaguely disappointed feeling" Katya got was all the stuff that had to be shoved out of the film to get it in at 2.5 hours.

It was only after "digesting" the film I realized "Hey, they cut X out entirely!" or "What happened to the thing between That Guy and What's His Face?" or things along that line.

-J.