Saturday, November 19, 2005

I have an existential map. It has 'You are here' written all over it. – Steven Wright

Dan and I attended a fundraising event for the Union Project last night. It was an art opening of sorts, with proceeds from the art sale benefiting the project. Some of the stuff for sale was absolutely gorgeous – I particularly covet the wonderful swirly glass tumblers that I may go back and buy.

The Chamber Orchestra of the Pittsburgh Symphony performed, and they were wonderful. I enjoyed them more than the “real” symphony. The space provided such an intimate and immediate sound and feel to the performance, and the music was more modern. It was a totally unexpected bonus as neither of us had paid any attention to what else was going on at this fundraiser. We had almost just skipped it to go to dinner and I am so glad we didn’t. (We wound up at the Sharp Edge, a local bar/restaurant, for one of their luscious blue cheese burgers after.)

A very pleasant night, although I was at the UP all of five minutes before I wished heartily I had brought my camera. There were so many cool things to show you all – the tumblers I want; the yellow-glazed mugs Dan liked; the deep dusky purple color they painted the sanctuary; the bowls of gummy bears on the buffet table; the construction lights strung all over the ceiling to light the space, that looked cool and trendy, not dorky and unfinished at all as you might expect; the serving china from the old church – white with gold rims and "East End Baptist Church" stamped on it in gold; the same plates, topped by wine glasses holding orange sand and votive candles, surrounded by polished stones and chunks of amber glass as centerpieces.
Oh, how I longed for my camera.

*******************************

I finished The Thorn Birds and I did not want it to end. I want more Meggie and Ralph, and especially more Justine! What an epic story. Next up is Poppy Z. Brite’s sequel to Liquor (which I enjoyed very much), Prime. I started it last night (well, this morning at 5 a.m., feeding the baby) and it has the same easy, readable feel as Liquor. I like the characters of Rickey and G-Man even more.

*****************

I am sure you are all aware that the next Harry Potter movie, “Goblet of Fire,” opened Friday. Stephanie Zacharek reviews it on Salon, with such talent that even if I didn’t want to see it anyway, I’d go see it. She’s an amazing writer. [Gina saw it – lucky woman! See her review below.] Every review – including Gina’s – has mentioned Hermione’s Yule Ball dress – I have to see the film if only to get a gander at this dress. But in a way I am sorta feeling like I am kinda over the whole HP thing. I will read the next two books to see what happens, but I am less than entranced anymore. Hmmm.

*****************

I just requested The Penderwicks from the library. Jeanne Birdsall’s book has been compared to Elizabeth Enright’s Melendy books – enough of a recc for me. The fact that it won the National Book Award for young people’s lit is irrelevant after that comparison.

I tried to read Gregory McGuire’s Wicked but just could not get into it. However, my sister-in-law has seen the musical three times and offered me a ticket to the production that comes to town in March. I am going to go see it. Gotta keep an open mind about these things…

Larry David is one of the comedians featured in TBS’s comedy special “Earth to America” Sunday night. It is meant to raise consciousness about global warming, so a good cause, but frankly I would happily listen to David read the phone book. And probably laugh just as hysterically.

******************************

Well, my father-in-law’s birthday cake wound up being chocolate with raspberry filling and chocolate frosting. I am sure it tasted just fine (I had to take the boys home before they got around to having cake last night) but in the 70-plus degree heat of my in-laws' house, half of the cake and filling slid off the cake, off the plate, and tried to escape off the buffet. Thank God my father-in-law appreciates the effort and love that went into its creation and does not care about the aesthetics. (Quite the opposite of my mother-in-law, but since I know this, I can be prepared : ))

**********************

Where is my new, free calendar from the zoo? I need it now. I have events piling up in the new year that must be marked down. I am also obsessed with finding those little clippie things that are magnetized to hold it onto the fridge since the regular magnets are not doing the trick.

********************

This email came through our neighborhood list this morning:
Can anyone recommend a good house keeper…We would prefer someone who is courteous, pays attention to detail and does a thorough job.
Because a uncouth, inefficient, and sloppy housekeeper is really what most other people prefer? What if s/he’s rude but gets your floors really clean?

*************************

It has come to my attention that the Italian for “third” is terzo. Ok. I was just messing with you, people. Like people who spell perfectly normal names strangely in their attempts to be “different:” Nychole, or Cyndee, or Kaitlynne. Or Madicyn - as if that real name isn’t horrible enough. Henceforth, Terce will be known as Terzo. Or Turtzho, whichever strikes my fancy. This has been a public service announcement.

*************************

I hate my breast pump. That is all.

*************************

This morning Primo and Segundo and I attended a birthday party at the zoo. (Terzo went to the Yale/Harvard fottball telecast with his dad.)I walked all around the zoo and am zonked out, as are the boys. But perhaps the walk cancelled out the birthday cake which was my breakfast. Sigh.

Here’s the birthday crowd.


“I am going to eat YOU.”



Wouldn’t you hate to have to bathe an elephant?



Or shave a baboon?


Although cleaning the shark tank might be fun.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

The Penderwicks is on my shelf, waiting to be read. Let us know what you think.

Gina said...

I couldn't finished Wicked, either, but my mom ADORES it. She's all fired up to go to the show, and she bought Son of a Witch to read while she's recovering. I don't get it, but . . . whatever makes her happy. (She's feeling really good, by the way. I made her soup and did her laundry and then left my sister to take the second shift.)

*****
I just picked up the new Maureen Dowd at the library! Sorry, school work.

*****

I envy your Union Project fun. I never seem to do cool things like that. I'm glad you guys had a good time.

Caro said...

There is no job at the zoo that I would want. Too much poop to clean. Ick.

Peg said...

I should have *known* that you & Dan were going to the Union Project benefit! I saw that on their website and thought, man, I bet that's going to be a great evening. I'm so jealous. Hope you and your camera make another trip over there soon so I can go vicariously.

Loved Wicked so much that I haven't read any of McGuire's other books because I'm afraid they just won't measure up. I'm hearing good things about Son of a Witch, though. Still haven't seen the show but plan to eventually. Maybe when Jessica Boevers goes in as Elphaba. :)

David said...

I believe that Marisa and I would like to sign on as extra children as you sound like you do lots of fun stuff. Today she went to focus lights in a church and I went to a faculty meeting. The zoo sounds like much more fun.

BabelBabe said...

i will happily adopt you and marisa. esp. since i kinda know how you guys turn out...

is your sister really going to play elphaba???

Peg said...

Sorry to have started a rumor -- although it's a great rumor to have started, don't you think? I'd love to see her as Elphaba. Unfortunately I have zero to do with this show.

She went into RENT as Maureen following Idina Menzel -- not directly following, I don't think, but my memory is a bit hazy.

Just my own little personal casting wish. Sorry guys.