Wednesday, November 16, 2005

"The only way that I could figure they could improve upon Coca-Cola, one of life's most delightful elixirs...

"...which studies prove will heal the sick and occasionally raise the dead, is to put rum in it."
- Lewis Grizzard

***************************

You need to check this out. I laughed myself simple(r).
http://www.lileks.com/institute/gallery/index.html.

***************************

Emmy update: I haven’t seen hide nor hair of the cat, but truth be told, I did not have time to go looking for her this morning. Last night, however, she was sleeping on my dirty laundry pile AND she chased my mother-in-law, who for some reason is horribly afraid of cats, up the basement stairs. So I choose to infer from this that she is feeling at least marginally better.

***********************

Other people find their signs in the stars or in their horoscope – I choose to take mine wherever I can get them. I saw two Guinness trucks while driving Segundo to daycare today. The first Guinness truck said, “Guinness: If only everything flowed this smoothly…” and the second one, following on its heels (tires?) said, “Guinness refreshes the spirit.”

***************************

One surefire way to divine what sort of a morning you have had: if you walk into the Starbucks and say, “I’ll have a Bacardi and….um, I mean, a tall skim chai,” it’s probably been a less-than-stellar morning.

*****************************

This series of books (reviewed on Salon today) retelling the great myths looks really interesting, especially if they are written by the likes of Margaret Atwood and Donna Tartt. Karen Armstrong, who wrote the fascinating History of God writes the first book in the series, A Short History of Myth, introducing and exploring the concepts of the series to follow. (By the by, the review itself is an interesting read.)

************************************

Gina finds Garrison Keillor insufferable, as do I. Although I wanted to email his story on the food of Thanksgiving to Joke, the gourmand.

**********************************

I must own this book, Mommy Knows Worst: Highlights from the Golden Age of Bad Parenting Advice RIGHT NOW.

**********************************

Childbirth seems to have destroyed my ability to properly use commas. Sorry.

10 comments:

Joke said...

GK was insufferable in 1994. He has since driven well past that.

-J.

Sarah Louise said...

Hey! GK is one of my personal heroes! I mean, who could not love a man whose favorite joke is
Knock Knock,
Who's there,
Sam and Janet,
Sam and Janet Who?
Sam and Janet Evening...

So do you pay the $35/year to get Salon ad-free? I'm getting tired of having to read past the "would you like to read this article for free?"

Besides, GK gained my love when he wrote an essay in We Are Still Married (which later became an ad for International Paper) on how to write a personal letter.

pnbwguwc: "peanut butter was gooey," wanda cooed.

Peg said...

That's why God makes chocolate AND vanilla. Count me in as a fan of Mr. Keillor's radio show (his books are a bit much for me but I do love that old-time radio).

Sarah Louise said...

Yes, GK's books leave much to be desired, but live and in person he is adorable.

Badger said...

Hey! What did Joke ever do to YOU?

I can't believe the weird-ass font my confirmation word (zausmev, the last name of my college intro to psych prof) is in. It's like something from a burlesque poster. Blogger has lost its mind.

Kathy said...

I want that Mommy Knows Worst book -- it looks like great fun.

Joke said...

Whenever I am confronted with GK in any manifestation all I end up doing is blinking dumbly for the duration.

Not that the people *I* like are any better, but hey.

-J.

Suse said...

Childbirth does amazing things. Not only does it make one whip out one's breasts in public at the drop of a hat, it makes one lose all sense of correct grammar, comma and apostrophe usage.

It also makes one hurt in places one should not hurt.

And thanks for the generous offer you made on my blog (I'll leave that to everyone else's imagination). I will take you up on it happily! You clever thing, you.

Word verif: mjtpy.

which sounds oh so jolly

Gina said...

Oh, man! Curse you for posting the link to those cook books! I am not going to get a bit of work done until I get through all of them.

*****

SL: I pay the money for Salon Premium, and I rarely regret it (I've even given it as a gift). I'd never bother with Salon at all if I had to slog through that irritating ad crap.

BabelBabe said...

yeah, dan and i subscribe to salon too. it's worth the money. i hate ads.

i am good at coming up with things to other than work, and i like to share : ) Gina, you'll probably get thru them before i do though...