Wednesday, November 23, 2005

Lo, sifted through the winds that blow, Down comes the soft and silent snow, White petals from the flowers that grow
In the cold atmosphere.

Prime is getting better the further I plow into it. It’s turning into more about G-Man who is a character I really like. So I suppose I’ll keep with it after all.

At the same time I am a third of the way thru The Penderwicks. Discussing this with Gina, I noted that it reads very much like the old-fashioned Elizabeth Enright/Melendy books, but then Penderwicks mentions something like the dad’s computer or the make of a car and you realize it is indeed a modern book. Which brings me to this question: what is the opposite of an anachronism? For example - if it were a typical modern-day book and the dad hauled his typewriter everywhere, then the typewriter would be an anachronism, yes? But the computer in the midst of the old-fashionedness – what is the computer?

*************************

On the same train of thought - Gina and I were pleased to find that the meaning of “namesake” goes both ways. Terzo is named after his grandfather, so is his grandfather’s namesake. But turns out that Grandpap is also Terzo’s namesake. Thank God for Webster’s.

*************************

I renewed my library card yesterday. Because we have the “DonorPlus” cards, I wrote a check and got to pick the new card – I stayed with my old fav, the frog. And I now have a keychain card – Segundo lost my keychain with the first one on it ages ago. The boys picked out their own cards, and we selected the old-time photo of Pittsburgh for the husband. And when I got home and found that somehow on my new account there was 24 bucks worth of fines and I called the library, my favorite librarian recognized my voice, fixed it all up, and was so incredibly nice. Is there anything more heartwarming than having your librarian recognize your voice? I am even more enamored of her now than I was before. And I was plenty enamored before, like a teenage girl; I want her to know that I am a librarian, too, see, I might be someone cool to hang out with, see, see? Did you see the cool books I checked out? Don’t you want to be my friend? Don’t you like me? Huh? See?

*********************

Speaking of voices, is there anything more heartrending than a froggy baby? Terzo has lost his voice. He has the croup. (The croup. Why the article? I don’t rightly know.) It’s so pathetic to watch him cry with no sound coming out. And I thought listening to my baby cry was the most awful thing—turns out his NOT crying is oh so much worse.

*************************

Primo asked me today if Bert and Ernie are brothers.

*********************************

It’s snowing here, fiercely at the moment.

Here’s the scene from my front porch (Dan has already swept the steps and walk, because that's what men do. I would have left it for aesthetic reasons.):



And here’s another simply because I am obsessed with taking photos of tree branches:

**********************************

I am thankful for my three beautiful, insane-making, and funny boys; my husband who, while completely exasperating much of the time, helped me produce said cute kids; my in-laws - always, if nothing else, utterly well-intentioned; my little brother, who is a star in my firmament, and his wife who might be the only woman on earth who deserves him; her parents, who are kind and loving to me and my husband and sons, wholly without any obligation to at all, just because they are wonderful, open-hearted people; even for my older brother who is nuts but I suppose I love him anyway; for Gina – words can’t even begin to describe how or why she puts up with me but boy, I am glad she does, since she makes my life more bearable AND more interesting; for my other friends – Leslie, Lauren, Christina, Sarah Louise, Lannie, among others – who all fill a little part of my heart that no one else can; and for my blogging buddies who are sometimes the only thing standing between me and my running out into the street screaming and tearing my hair out by its roots after a day alone with my children. Oh, and also, for the fact that it is Joke hosting fifty-plus people at his house for Thanksgiving dinner, and not me.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

16 comments:

Badger said...

Anachronism goes both ways, too. It's anything that's out of its correct time period. I paid a whole lot of money to my university to be able to tell you that.

I'm glad you're sticking with Prime. Don't let the Dallas bits bog you down -- Rickey gets back to New Orleans eventually, and his relationship with G-Man is really the heart of the book.

Gina said...

Thanks, Val. I love you too. :-)

Sarah Louise said...

Babelbabe, you rock! Kisses and hugs, Sarah Louise. You're on my "thankful" list too.

Even more so, now that I know I have someone in my life besides me that is obsessed with taking pictures of tree branches!

word verif: sosoo (I kid you not!)

Joke said...

I thought Bert and Ernie were long time companions.

-J.

Gina said...

Upon finishing The Penderwicks: What an odd and sweet little book! Reading about Rosalind and her crush made me wish I had a crush of my own, which I haven't in quite a while.

I'm looking forward to the next book, as I assume there will be plenty more.

Suburban Turmoil said...

I'm so sorry about the croup. Baby had it about a month ago. I took her to the doctor and got an antibiotic that knocked the crap out of it. She was better within a few hours of taking the medicine, although it takes a while to go away completely.

Good luck!

Caro said...

Poor baby. I hope the croup goes away soon. Yucky stuff. I remember steaming A in the shower when she got it. (She is the only one of three who had it.)

I envy your snow. Happy Thanksgiving.

Jess said...

The croup always makes me think of Anne and Minnie May.

I liked the modern touches in The Penderwicks - it felt like it would've been so much easier for her to set it a while back - to throw in a war or some such and historical overtones. The modernity + old-fashioned = delightful.

happy thanksgiving - I just finished making a chocolate coconut cream pie and thought of you.

Jess said...

PS Your library cards are smashing! I would totally pay extra for a fancy card - not like I use my card anyway, since I always just type in my own number - but to know a little frog was nestled in my wallet! Priceless. Ours are mediocre - black with a gold lion.

Caro said...

OT here, but thank you for sending me all the information. These articles are so much more informative than what I was finding on the internet.

And I think the correct term for Bert and Ernie is "domestic partners."

Sarah Louise said...

Puh-leeze. Bert and Ernie are best friends in the old fashioned sense. I don't wish to start a "flame" or a comments that will last into next year, but I see Bert and Ernie very much in the same vein as Matthew and Marilla--two people living together without any innuendo.

I actually just came on to see if anybody had posted and was drawn to see what further comments there were. I hope a happy Thanksgiving was had by all. The digital camera cometh soon--my mom has a Staples coupon (teacher perks) that expires Nov 30.

ffbeslk: fifi, besmirched, licked and kissed ivan.

BabelBabe said...

good lord, sl, so much for platonic love! nice word verif...

Sarah Louise said...

sorry, i am a purist. good to know there are at least 3 of us online today!

raekbje: ray kissed becky jo evasively

(a lot of kissing in my word verifs, wonder what that's for?)

Caro said...

Sarah Louise, I was teasing about Bert and Ernie. Aren't they more like the muppet version of the Odd Couple? Still, I couldn't resist joking about them.

I have certainly been accused before of not being serious enough. :^)

BabelBabe said...

I worry more about Ernie and that damn duck.

Caro said...

Rubber duckie you're the one! hee hee hee hee.