Wednesday, January 18, 2006

A Whole Lotta Healthy Goin’ On

Remember my friend with Sclerderma? She met a woman on-line who has Sclerderma as well, and was featured on 60 Minutes a few years ago because she’d reversed her symptoms using macrobiotics (Whole foods, especially vegetables and grains, eaten in a proper balance. Some fish is allowed, but no other meats and no dairy, and no white flour or sugar. Wine and beer are okay in moderation, but no hard liquor.). The woman has been symptom-free for fourteen years, all thanks, she claims, to eating this way.

With nothing to lose and much to gain from giving this a try, my friend asked me if I’d do it with her—she wants a woman’s support. (Her husband will help all he can, but she feels like she’ll do better if she has a woman going through it at the same time.) I am the queen of junk food, but what kind of friend would I be if I didn’t give it a try? Right?

So we got some books and did some reading, and we think we have a vague grasp of what we’re supposed to be doing. Suffice it to say that for the last two days I have eaten lots of brown rice. It’s not that bad, though, although going without Diet Coke has been a bit of a struggle. If I can manage to live this way, I will be very, very thin. I’m hoping that getting all of the preservatives/toxins/general crap out of my body will make me feel so great that I won’t miss junk food. In the meantime, I’m probably going to cheat a little. I’m having people over Saturday night, and I just can’t see offering them nothing more than raw veg and hummus. It doesn’t seem right.

In other news, I turned 35 yesterday. I’ve always preferred odd-numbered years, fives and sevens in particular, so I’m hoping this year will bring lots of happiness. Diet Coke-withdrawal aside, things are pointing in that direction.

Happily, I got lots of books for my birthday. My mom tried to take me to the mall and buy me something, but I talked her into meeting me at Barnes & Noble and footing the bill for some books. I got The Accidental, Thread of Grace (because Val loves it so), and Consider the Lobster. Hooray! I’m reading Lobster now, and . . . I’m starting to feel about David Foster Wallace like I did about Eddie Vedder/Kurt Cobain/Jim Morrison back in the day (Morrison was way, WAY back in the day, by the way, but I went through the phase. Sue me.) Anyway, I would be very, very happy to let DFW spend hours talking to me, whispering those foot-noted asides in my ear. Sigh. He’s dreamy. And SO SMART.

Ahem. I’ll try to contain myself.

Books: Teddy (and his dad) got me The Best American Nonrequired Reading 2005 (Beck wrote the intro, which makes me happy). My friend Kate sent me two books, London Bridges and Doomsday Book. And my sister gave me a signed, first edition copy of A Swiftly Tilting Planet. Woo hoo! (My friend Suzanne gave me a signed, first edition copy of Certain Women for Christmas, which means I now have three MLE first editions, two of which are signed.)

So it’s been a very bookish birthday, and I like it.

One last thing: You know those ThermaCare Menstrual Patches? Well, they really work, and I love them. You should get some of you have cramp issues. HOWEVER, I am living proof that you shouldn’t abuse them. I can back up that statement with a rash on my stomach that’s shaped like the patch. I took a sick day on Friday so I wouldn’t have to wear clothes. Heed my warning and use, but don’t abuse.

18 comments:

Joke said...

If it's any consolation, I don't miss junk food AT ALL.

I'd miss the Hell out of steak or bacon, though.

-J.

Joke said...

P.S. How does one "abuse" a menstrual cramp patch?

Badger said...

Oh mah gaw! I just re-read A Swiftly Tilting Planet a couple of weeks ago! My copy is just an ancient tattered paperback, though.

I went on a really weird diet a couple of years ago at the insistence of my fibromyalgia docs, designed to check for and eliminate inflammation at the cellular level. I got so effin' sick of salmon and rice, I can't even tell you.

Badger said...

Oh, and on the patch: are you allergic to latex at all? My DH and boy child get rashes from latex bandages. So that could be the culprit.

blackbird said...

thanks for the patch tip -- I can be very crampy.

and cranky.


and I eat meat AND brown rice.

Gina said...

I abused the patch pretty much by never going without one for three straight days. (Bad, bad cramps.) I've never been bothered by the patch before, as I've only used it for the recommended eight hours at a time, for a day or two at the most. I sort of OD'd on it.

I just had butternut squash soup (from a carton) with my own brown rice dumped in. Delicious. Much better than my standard, tastes-like-nothing chicken wrap from the nearby hospital cafeteria. And last night I had Kamut Primavera from the Whole Foods Hot Bar. It was wonderful.

I can do this. I think. As I told Val, though, I'll be damned if I'm going to forbid myself chocolate or pizza. I'll have both at least once a month, because otherwise? Sad. And possibly mean.

I still have my tattered MLE paperbacks, which I'll continue to use for reading. These first editions are *special*. You know how some people have "good dishes"? I have "good books". :-)

Sarah Louise said...

Oh, another person that has "good books." I have at least two copies of Dicey's song, although ironically, the signed copy is also the one that is a bit tattered. I have one ML'E signed book, "Walking on Water." (Although I think Two Part Invention is my fave of her non-fiction.) My favorite fiction is probably her first book, "A Small Rain."

As for patches: ThermaCare are better than Playtex--which I abused over the summer--they are stronger and more likely to leave a mark. I keep TC's in my desk drawer at work.

BabelBabe said...

I am now officially a bad friend.

And I will air my guilty conscience all over the Internet -

because Gina and I actively decided to NOT give each other Xmas gifts, I assumed it went for birthdays too. But I really should have cheated. and i feel worse that I forgot it was even her bday until *after* I had cancelled lunch due to a vicious bad mood and need for a nap on my part.

Fortunately we are confidently low-maintenance friends; I know Gina did not even give either of these things a second thought because she knows I love her, and all that sentimental stuff...but I feel horrible.

At any rate, I am glad you got great books - I would be shocked if you did not enjoy Thread. Perhaps I'll call in a few favors and get you that whispering DFW...sorry, only kidding. But if I could...

Caro said...

Books are my favorite gift. They are always the right size.

Prescription 800mg Motrin works best for cramps IMHO, but I don't get them much.

BabelBabe said...

hey LA are you doing that vitamin regimen again? or just generally detoxing?

Joke said...

Gina,

The trick is to have--when you allow yourself the treat--ridiculously good pizza or ridiculously good chocolate.

In fact, as we say in the car hobby, "while you're at it" make your own pizza. It will be better, healthier and all that.

Can't help you with making your own chocolate, though.

-J.

Gina said...

Well, I left class early because I was STARVING. My stomach was growling. Here's the thing: I don't like most vegetables, and the ones I do like (other than carrots and peas) aren't allowed in the macro regimen.

This leaves me with grains, carrots and peas, and some leafy greens and squash.

I don't think I can be faithful and get through more than a few days.

Maybe I need to adapt this to fit my needs. Maybe just eliminating toxins is good enough? No with sugar, preservatives, etc? Anyone?

Oh, and Val? You are *not* a bad friend. Got it? Good.

Kathy said...

Happy Birthday -- it's sounds like you got great books.

If I hadn't had a hysterectomy a couple of years ago, I would have been in severe danger of abusing those patches. :)

Jess said...

I don't even have cramps at the moment and a patch sounds delightful...I should try some. At night you can provide backup with a hot water bottle - same effect, I'd imagine? My hot water bottle is my best friend.

I once had lunch at a macrobiotic restaurant and it was the worst meal I've ever paid for. Completely without flavor. Are you allowed to season things? I hope my experience was NOT normal, for your sake.

BabelBabe said...

I think adapting to fit your needs is perfectly acceptable.

Yu are in this to support R.; if your health were at stake I'd nag you to death but since it's not -- I am a big fan of all things in moderation.

Sarah Louise said...

Just fed your fish. Thought you'd like to know. How I wish I was not allergic to Motrin and its relatives. Tylenol just doesn't work the same way. Btw, there is a really good book on the social ramifications of having a period, doggone it if I can't remember what it's called nor can I find any record of it...I'll keep you posted--this is why you write down the great books you read...

Sarah Louise said...

The book is called The curse : confronting the last unmentionable taboo: menstruation / Karen Houppert. It's very good. Never underestimate the power of a reference librarian!!

Suse said...

Happy birthday Gina!

And Joke is right. Make your own pizza, it is far superior to the bought crap. And eat dark chocolate, a la the mediterranean diet.

Good luck with the rest.

Now. I kid you not, the word verif is

curvfyn

Isn't that perfect for the dieting woman, yes?