Friday, January 06, 2006

Those who sleep under a quilt sleep under a blanket of love.

Primo's quilt, hand-pieced and hand-quilted using the 1/4" quilting method. It was finished for his first birthday.


Segundo's quilt, hand-pieced and hand-quilted using the stitch-in-the-ditch quilting method. It was finished for his second birthday.


My nephew's quilt, machine-pieced and hand-quilted, about a quarter done, using a meandering quilting method. The pattern is from an old issue of Quilter's Newsletter magazine.


Terzo's quilt-to-be. I hope to finish it before he goes to college. I will machine-piece it and hand-quilt it, using a pattern called Card Trick. I picked the colors before he was born, but I do like the yellow similarities among all three of my boys' quilts.

******************

I find quilting - the whole process of design, cutting, piecing, quilting - very soothing. The design and color aspects appeal greatly to the artist in me, but the utilitarian nature of the craft satisfies my practical, child-of-Depression-era-parents side.

Friday Show-and-Tell, courtesy of Blackbird

14 comments:

blackbird said...

beautiful beautiful beautiful.

Peg said...

Wow. Your work really is beautiful. Not to mention inspiring.

Show and Tell is so cool.

Sarah Louise said...

hey your comments work again! i already left mine on gina's last post.

xxoo, SL

vw: mxekwm: mexican woman?

Sarah Louise said...

Scrapbooking and pedicures? I don't knit...

SL

BabelBabe said...

*I* thought I was a charter member of the pedicure/scrapbook club. Perhaps I was so full of rum and buffalo bites (I dreamed about those last night...) I simply misunderstood. Harrumph.

Badger said...

My mom is a quilter who does everything by hand. Personally I would rather stab myself in the eye repeatedly with a plastic spork than deal with all those little bits of fabric.

Oh, but YOURS are pretty!

Kathy said...

I love the quilts. I've always wanted to do this but I don't know how.

Caro said...

My very favorite gifts are quilts. They're very pretty.

Gina said...

Hmmm . . . I wish *I* could sleep under a blanket of love. My comforter suddenly seems so negligible.

BabelBabe said...

Gina - if you can wait till the third oneis in college, i will happily make you a quilt. Maybe a cream and white one for the soothing bedroom?

katya - I taught myself, using the odiously-yet-accurately-named Idiot's Guide to Quilting. I'd like to say they have each gotten better and I now have twelve stitches to the inch, but I take so long, the skills don't really improve much.

Jess said...

I love them all, but especially the one for your nephew. Someday, someday I will atttempt to quilt.

BabelBabe said...

oh, and andrea? if I were guzzling bacardi&*rum*, I'd be on the floor in minutes and you could do whatever you liked to me pedicure-wise. I think i'll mix it with coke or something : )


I had to laugh as I make this mistake - Freudian slip of some kind? - all the time. Because clearly I need more alcohol....

Lauri said...

ABSOLUTELY BEAUTIFUL!

Peg said...

It's 7/7/06 and I went searching for this post this morning, as I'm feeling craft-ish and needed both inspiration and reassurance. (After all it was you who taught me to make pie crust.)

Is there an update on Terzo's? No pressure, honest! Just curious. Those colors are wonderful.