Sunday, February 05, 2006

Pittsburgh's goin' to the Super Bowl...and they WON!

Car horns are honking, firecrackers are going off, people are screaming and hooting and hollering...this town is going NUTS. Streets all over downtown and on the South Side are closed. People are part-eee-ing.

Pittsburgh 21, Seattle 10.

Man, that Hines Ward is so cute, and so sweet. And he was carrying around his little boy...and Jerome Bettis - How amazing was this for him, finishing his career in his hometown by winning the Super Bowl? Man!
He's saying now, "Pittsburgh, here we come..."
They are out in the streets whooping and hollering and setting off firecrackers, waiting for you guys. Pittsburghers could NOT be happier.

Bill Cowher's handing the trophy to Dan Rooney now. He's a class act. They really all are.
They seem like well-spoken, nice guys, the whole lot of them. It's nice.

Do you suppose Ben Roethlisberger will shave that godawful beard now?? He is the youngest player to ever win a Super Bowl - he should look it!

And what about "One for the Thumb"? Do they need to grow extra digits now? "One for the polydactyl"? Hermmm...maybe not....

I am so pleased for this team. I'm not a native Pittsburgher, but I understand how important this team is to the town, and many of its people. They truly love each other. I know it's just a football game, but it feels like the way sports is meant to be. About teamwork and hard work and being good sports.

**********

Stupid things the announcers are asking (who writes this shit? The *President* has better speechwriters, for God's sake!):
What's it feel like to be champion of the world? [bb-"Uh. I don't know. Ask Leo diCaprio...wait, no, that's...uh..."]
What did Coach Cowher say to you in the locker room? [bb-"Cute butt."]

I of course am anxiously awaiting the commercials analysis. I only saw one, for Hummer, which I thought was amusing. I mean, I suppose a pregnant dinosaur being squired around town by a solicitous robot can be considered funny.

And now...I just need to find out what the hell a "Code Black" is on "Grey's Anatomy," if I can stay awake that long.

4 comments:

Sarah Louise said...

Read it and weep--I saw the first touchdown and then fell asleep watching "Mad Hot Ballroom" during half-time. But man oh man, what a thrill I got when I read the news on Google. Sigh. Bet it wasn't the same as when the game was over...

Gina said...

I don't know if it's because I live behind Ryan's Pub, or because we live so near Forbes & Braddock, or because Braddock Ave. leads to the Parkway, but the car horns and whooping were still going strong at 11:30, fully an hour and a half after the game had ended.

Teddy and I stopped at Dick's on the way home from my sister's and got Super Bowl Champions t-shirts. I haven't owned a Steeler garment since the Mean Joe Green jersey I had when I was a kid. I feel both excited and stupid about wearing it today--but it's fun! :-)

Caro said...

OT, comcast changed the way to find the videos. They have a blue tabbed search area near the top of the page. Click on the "video" tab. Search "Thomas" and about four videos come up.

BabelBabe said...

no. no. we had gunshots. but it was fairly controlled. it was exciting.