Saturday, February 11, 2006

Now that should do the trick for a sticky monkey!

OK, someone help me, one of you non-etiquette-ly challenged types (Joke?) - I confess to the horror of putting reply cards in my wedding invitations. We did not have entrĂ©e choices, I just needed to know who was coming and who was not. This was more than ten years ago, but now having read Poppy’s post about wedding invitation blunders, I am horrified that I committed some gross faux-pas. (But my mother-in-law said it was ok!) Why are reply cards the devil? Just so you know, though, I did self-address and pre-stamp and took out the tissue and everything else. But those reply cards haunt my dreams now! Don’t hate me because I was raised by wolves.

*************************

Last night H. went to see the new Pink Panther movie. I, having been sick for-freaking-ever and in addition having had an acute bout with a stomach virus that lasted for twelve nasty hours on Wednesday night and left me feeling desiccated like unto the Sahara desert, decided to stay home. I had no burning desire to see the new Pink Panther. When H. got home and told me that it had been like a movie-going festival, that many people there had babies and toddlers that were running around during the movie, and groups of people were chatting all through the movie, and a girl two seats down from him was on her cell phone throughout the whole movie – I once again remembered why I do not go see first-run movies in the movie theatre on weekend evenings. Because I am old and crotchety that way. Anyway, my sister-in-law had offered to have all the children at her place to babysit; I kept Terzo with me, but sent the older two boys. (Probably should have kept Seggie home also, as he seems to have cycling-malarial-symptoms syndrome (yes, I made that up).) Did I do anything exciting, house to myself and all? Paint some woodwork? Read a good book? Watch the Olympics opening ceremonies (bah!)? No, I went to bed. I consumed a giant bowl of cashew chicken and another giant bowl of homemade rice pudding and went to bed.

I get so nervous when people don't post for a while. Suse over at Pea Soup has not posted since Wednesday, an eternity in my book.
And I am irrationally (I stress irrationally) terrified she’s left us.
I do this to all the blogs I read regularly – Blackbird hasn’t posted in two days? She hates us. Badger hasn’t posted? She’s dead.
Or in prison.
I WORRY. Yes, I know I am a dork. I used to read this blog called Simple Things (for a while, I thought Pea Soup and Simple Things were written by the same person…) and she stopped posting sometime last fall. Just...stopped. And I worry. Is she ok? Did something horrible happen to her? Did she just get bored? Or maybe, just maybe, other people HAVE LIVES. Hmmm. Anyone know where I can get one of those, cheap? Perhaps I could start by getting a babysitter and going to see a movie with my husband. Instead of sleeping all Friday evening, waking up from time to time only long enough to stick a boob into Terzo’s gaping maw.

****************

Oh, God help us. Because Jessa’s right – Ethan Hawke’s books are crap. The movies have to be worse. I have a special place in my heart for little ole Ethan Hawke because – little known fact – he was in my freshman class first semester. He was as big an asshole as any high school actor who suddenly finds himself attending one of the premier theatre programs in the country, having “his art” taken seriously (at least by the profs, if not his fellow students), and being required to take a loser history of theatre class with those production types who walk around in painted-up jeans and grotty sneakers. (Yeah, well, at least WE shower! And don’t freaking burst into song at the drop of a hat!) This is not to say he was the only one – all of the actors were assholes, just as all of us production/techie types were obnoxious and loud and profane – for freshman theatre majors, this attitudinal behavior was practically a requirement. At any rate, due to this minor brush with fame (no he wouldn’t recognize me or my name, I was just part of the obnoxious mass), I follow his career in the same sort of way I look at car wrecks. I may know they’re horrible but I have to look? I know he can’t act, and I think he perpetually looks like he needs a good scrub, and God knows how he landed Uma Thurman, but I still have to read his crap writing and watch his mostly-bad movies. He left school after first semester to do “Dead Poets”, and possibly it’s the only decent thing in which I’ve seen him.

*****************

Snippets:

Peg, this is for you. Mostly because I just enjoy way too much the phrase “biowillie.”

WE know libraries are cool.

God, I am so sick of all these dodgy authors. Just write a decent book and shut up about it. If you must make things up, just write another novel, please.

The first Joanna Trollope book I ever read was The Choir, and I was caught. While even she admits her books are not intellectual, they are immensely readable, and her characters draw you into their lives, leaving you feeling with them and almost always wanting more. Is there anything better you can say about a book? Trollope’s thirteenth novel Second Honeymoon is due out in March.

Does anyone really care about the Olympics anymore? Look, some American speedskater just won a medal. Yawn. I am with Bode Miller on this one – it used to be an honor just to go to the Olympics. Now it’s all about the medal count, and the endorsements and cash, and those ridiculous, melodramatic human-interest stories. No, I do NOT care if Jane Doe’s kitten fell into the frozen lake when Jane was six thereby inspiring years of dedicated figure skating practice, and I also don’t really care if she wins a medal. Jane, not the (presumably dead) kitten.

Speaking of memorable Olympic moments, back when it at least *felt* like the games were real, does anyone else remember Torvill and Dean? Now THEY were incredible. As were Tai Babilonia and Randy Gardner. And the 1980 American hockey team. Ah, now those were the days, my friends! The only recent Olympic story that even remotely comes close – Sarah Hughes’ figure skating upset last winter Olympics.

Oh, so if she'd had *proper documentation* the HUMAN HEAD IN HER CARRY-ON *wouldn't* have been a problem? And of what, pray tell, does proper documentation for schlepping around a human head CONSIST?

I just changed my ringtone on my cell phone to the theme for “The Godfather.” This makes me irrationally happy.

*******************


"You stay alive, no matter what occurs! I will find you. No matter how long it takes, no matter how far, I will find you."

Or maybe I should be using a quote from "The Eiger Sanction"?

"Get out of here. Either of you friggin' vampires ever touch this telescope, you're gonna need surgery to get it out of your ass!"

Or maybe
"I'm sorry, I thought you'd draw the line at hauling ice."

Anyone else care to weigh in here?

10 comments:

blackbird said...

I find it exceedingly difficult to believe that there was ever a time when I did not post.

Suse on the other hand, has said that she is limiting her computer time which I suppose is very healthy but which WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH.

Stay on target. (from the very first freaking Star Wars and I don't even know anymore what the HELL it is called! STAR WARS.)

Anonymous said...

Ok, I have thought about this a lot because I am just that morbid and neurotic. If I were to be smooshed by a bus, how would my bloggy friends ever find out? I make sure that my husband has my password so that he could post a little obituary at my place, and then you all could leave nice, sad comments about me, and say, "Oh, she was so wonderful! We should have left more comments!" and it would all be very nice and sad.

Caro said...

Little kids running around the theater and people on cell phones? I'd have preferred to stay home too, sick or not.

Joke said...

1- The Pink Panther was MONUMENTALLY underwhelming and I thought Steve Martin's talents were totally wasted therein. (Except for the "soundproof" scene.) Avoid.

2- The faux pas was but a minor one. The thing of it is taht we have become such a society of utter savages that we no longer R.s.v.p. if we are not reminded and have it made absurdly easy and even then it's like pulling teeth with only three rubber bands and a paper clip.

-J.

lazy cow said...

I'm glad I'm not the only one with an obsession with certain blogs. I was very upset when Ever So Humble stopped posting - at least she made an announcement.

The Olympic Games? We're caught up in the Commonwealth Games hype in Melbourne. There *is* no escape.

Suse said...

I am terribly touched by your concern. But I'm not dead. I'm just BORING. I had nothing to say, and a cardi to knit. And really, who can compete with bloggers who post about Diva Cups?

I promise that if I ever leave, I will tell you first okay?

And now I am off to read my Simple Things Alter Ego.

Suse said...

Okay, I need you to give me the url for the simple things person, cos I have just read three separate 'Simple Things' blogs and let me tell you I am getting paranoid.

And today I blogged about Ethan Hawke, and the winter olympics. Go read! It's a blast!

heheheheheh

Sarah Louise said...

I am with you Babelbabe. I worry about people if they don't answer email in three days.

What was I supposed to be looking at on the link about libraries?

The Choir was lovely, but some of her other books not so much. They reminded me of that chick that wrote Up Country...I can't find her on bn.com. Whateve. She wrote good books early in her career but now all those books are out of print. Alas. Siddons...that's it! Anne Rivers Siddons. Memory is such a great thing when it WORKS!

Having only ever attended weddings, I think those reply cards are great! I mean, I'm the one who has to call the hostess (on her mobile!) what time the party is because I've lost the invite. I actually even didn't mail the reply card for their wedding, just told them in person (because I lost the invite.) They survived, and had a lovely 29th bday for the former groom now husband. I forgot one thing about parties for guys: they often invite their single (guy) friends! I had at least one conversation with someone I'm sort of interested in that seems to show up at all these parties I end up going to...I managed to avoid the guy who is like 22 and seems to me like a seventeen year old that I know would have loved to talked to me...

Peg said...

I will smile every time I say it out loud. Willie's pretty committed to the cause; makes me want to go see him if he's in town. He got Bonnie Raitt to use biodiesel in her tour buses, too.

Sarah Louise said...

biowillie, biowillie, biowillie! It's great! My brother at some point (one of the many ideas in his overactive 23 year old brain) has one idea to drive trucks that use bio-I can't spell diesel-oh I just did! but he'd have to learn how to drive standard.