Tuesday, February 21, 2006

I work on a laptop specifically so I can work in cafes and pretend I'm part of the human world.

Today’s quote is by Jonathan Lethem.
I love Jonathan Lethem and want to bear his children.
I’d even share my General Tso’s and chocolate cake with HIM.

******************

I spent yesterday evening at the neighborhood coffee shop with my friend’s laptop and her dissertation reference list. I know some of you will think I am insane, but figuring out the correct MLA format for conference proceedings that have not yet been published, or forcing Bookends to italicize rather than underline titles of edited books – it’s FUN. I live for this stuff. Thrive on it. I am also really good at it, which, if you know me at all, must mean I really am good at it as I never say I am good at anything. In fact, I am pretty much certain I am bad at just about everything I do, including mothering. Except yesterday. Yesterday I took the boys to the Center for Creative Play, because Primo did not have preschool due to Presidents’ Day and the thought of being cooped up in the house all day with all three of them was enough to send me straight up the wall. CCP is basically this giant space (it used to be a supermarket) filled with interactive playthings – a fully stocked toy kitchen, doctor’s office, extensive dress-up corner, ride-on trucks and cars, climbing-on stuff, ball pit, a tree house, a sensory room where kids can go be quiet and swing in the hammocks and listen to music, a huge train set, musical instruments galore. My guys LOVE this place. I don’t mind it too much as I can plunk myself down with the baby on the floor in the baby area and see the whole rest of the place to keep track of Primo and Seggie and not move for two hours except to dole out snacks as necessary. I forgot to bring a book, which was the only bad thing. Generally the other moms here tend to be pretty hip and together, so I made an effort and put on clean cargo pants and my Doc Martens and some tinted moisturizer and a necklace. I tried, people. But I am just not hip enough. And then the baby spit up down my back. Oh how I longed for my book. But the boys had an awesome time, and I have fun watching them play together so well. Since none of the toys are theirs, there tends to be much less of the “Primo snatched my train!” “Seggie grabbed my toy!” sort of crap. Then I took them home, put them down for naps/quiet time, plugged in the laptop and nestled in bed and worked. I so want a laptop. I have for a while but now that I actively know what I am missing, I really really want one. I want to snuggle in bed under my down comforter and surf the Net and write blog posts and check email. Fie on the desktop computer! Fie, I say!

*****************

I am carrying around in my bag with me the following three books, because you never know when the mood will strike and when it does, what it will be:
  • A Short History of Tractors in Ukrainian
  • Raising Your Spirited Child
  • The Left Hand of Darkness

I need serious help. Or at least a good chiropractor.
And where was this good sense yesterday when I was at the CCP with a sleeping baby and NOTHING TO READ? There was not even a shampoo bottle in sight!

********************

I think I am having lunch with Gina today. We missed last week due to Pledge. The money thing, not the furniture polish. I would never let furniture polishing get in the way of seeing Gina.

*********************

OK, Blackbird has been posting some great coverage of the Olympics, and combined with King Kaufman’s coverage at Salon, really, you don’t need anything else. Go immediately and read both. Now. Go. What are you waiting for? There’s no more to this post.

9 comments:

blackbird said...

hey!
two things -
thanks for the plug
and
my SIL got a damn good deal on an iBook G4 laptop on ebay, but, then again, it is still probably more than a dell...

Caro said...

Hey,

I want a CCP in my neighborhood.

I always feel woefully inadequate next to the other mothers. They all seem very well put together and I am NOT.

lazy cow said...

I want to lie in that hammock...

The indoor play centres in Melbourne are horrible. I've been twice under sufferance. It is my idea of hell.

Anonymous said...

Yes! You need a laptop. I'm in love with mine. And good for you for proclaiming your computer-y smartness. I'm in awe. Actually, I'm in awe just because you manage to get through the day with 3 small children, so don't knock your mothering skilz either!

Badger said...

Hey! Back away from the Lethem! I saw him first! I would not go through childbirth again even for him though, so you can handle that aspect of the relationship. But once you're knocked up, he's ALL MINE.

Oh, and screw those other mothers if they can't see how hip and kewl you are. They don't sound like much fun anyway.

My confirmation word is leliev, which reminds me that while I would not bear Liev Shreiber's children either, I would certainly enjoy doing other things with/to him.

Wow, guess who's ovulating?!

Suse said...

I regularly whine and wail for a laptop too. It must feel so sexy, blogging from one's couch. Or bed, even.

And I cannot believe I know (virtually anyway) another referencing freak. I did the referencing for a girlfriend's Masters thesis last year, just for fun. I keep badgering her to do her PhD so I can do an even bigger one. Weird, moi?

Gina said...

I spent some time in the Apple store yesterday, caressing things. Stay away, Val, or you'll walk out the door with an iBook--even if you have to (gasp!) finance it!

I felt like I deserved a pat on the back for only buying the blank DVDs I went in for. I mean, who can go in there and just spend $13? Iron Will Gina, that's who!

I'm so lame.

BabelBabe said...

i wonder if i could finance and then make the payments out of my personal cash each month. how much could the monthy payments be?

the tax return is earmarked for new windows, an oven, and Terzo's 529.

i hate being a responsible adult who doesn't misuse her credit card - it sucks.

Sarah Louise said...

as the woman who just scanned ebay to see how much pdas are selling for these days, no, it is much better to be the woman who has control of her credit cards. I think I'd like a laptop, I think I'd even maybe like a pda, but I do not want to carve out the time it would take to learn how to use it to its full capabilities. I like pen and ink and paper. I use them. (did it come out in there that I'm thinking of selling my pda?) anyways, I too drool over laptops, and want one also so I would have to get that cool laptop cover blackbird talked about ages ago...