Tuesday, August 16, 2005

Hand-held infants are not permitted on most rides.

We took our out-of-town guests to Kennywood Park yesterday. Kennywood is an old-time amusement park, with several wooden roller coasters, famous Potato Patch fries, and enough new and high-tech rides to balance everything out. There are lots and lots of lovely old trees, comfy benches, tons of cheesy games, and an old train that runs around slowly the park’s perimeter. There’s something for everyone, even very pregnant people like me.

This was the first time I was there with my boys being old enough to ride things; Kiddieland was a huge hit. They rode just about everything there, except the mini-Pitfall. Jude was actually on it waiting for it to start before he panicked and demanded to be let off. Otherwise, Jude appears to be fearless. He did ride the Lil Phantom, which Si would not go near. In addition, every time the big-people Thunderbolt roller coaster rattled past us down its hills as we ate dinner, Jude looked at me and said solemnly, “Mama, me like THAT.” However, since he’s barely three feet tall, he was not allowed to ride it : ) I think they liked the Kiddie Whip the best – they both laughed and laughed through each ride. Jude even mastered the waving-your-hands-in-the-air move as you caroom around the ends. Simon rode two big-people rides – his second time on the Log Jammer (we have the photo magnet to prove it!) and the real Whip, which he wanted to ride over and over again.

There was a fairly mediocre magic show that freaked Si out; he was frightened, I think, that the man changed his assistant into a dog and then she disappeared. He anxiously asked me, “No one really got hurt, did they? I mean, it’s not REAL magic, like in Harry Potter?” And Jude and I caught an acrobatic show that my little guy just totally dug – he was jumping and dancing to the music and clapping. (If he and Si start trying to figure out how to build a human pyramid, we’re going to have real trouble. Especially if they involve the cats…)

We had not been in the park ten minutes when a woman approached me with her hands full of stuffed animals. Behind her were several teenaged boys also laden with various cheap stuffed animal prizes. She said, “Would your boys like these? As you can see, we have more than enough…” Simon claimed the orange Nemo-ey fish, and Jude picked the blue, glittery one, and they hauled those little fishies all over the park. Jude even made sure the fish was well-hydrated by sharing his water with it. I could not say thanks enough, because, man, did that take the pressure off us! None of the adults had to try to win prizes for them all day; it was already taken care of. What a sweet relief ; ) The boys slept with the critters last night, too.

Last night I asked the boys what their favorite part was. Simon liked the big Whip the best; Jude replied, “Scoop.” Scoop? Huh? The park is building a new ride and the construction site was full of bulldozers and backhoes. We spent about fifteen minutes after dinner just gazing at the machinery (no, it wasn’t moving, just sitting there). And the backhoe – Scoop – was Judeman’s favorite part.

At first I was worried about walking around the park all day due to the disgusting heat and humidity we have had here for the summer, but yesterday was blessedly cooler, and overcast. Perfect weather. Everyone else went out after lunch; I stayed home with Jude until he woke up from his nap at 430 and we drove out then and met the others. I certainly did feel it later that night, after hauling my ginormous belly all over the park, but it wasn’t as bad as it could have been. And then I realized that as a pregnant person, I was not expected – indeed was not allowed – to go on any rides, so could safely eat whatever I wanted without fear of it coming back up on some roller coaster. So I had my once-yearly corn dog with mustard and Potato Patch fries, and I still have half a bag of cotton candy in my car.

This was the first time I had been there with little kids. The employees, especially in Kiddieland, were terrific. They were all sweet and very patient, but several of them went out of their way to do little things that were unnecessary but made the experience more fun for my kids. There was the young woman manning the Kiddie whip who was holding out her hand for all the little ones to high-five as they went past her; there were the two young people running the helicopters who patiently helped my boys out of the “wrong-colored” helicopter and into the “right-colored” one without hurrying them or being short with them; there was the young man who ran the motorcycles just for my two boys, making the cycles bump gently up and down (over his FOOT!) and sending my boys into fits of giggles every time around the circle. I was so impressed by the great attitudes and demeanor of these (mostly) teenagers that I felt compelled to write a letter to the park this morning commending them on their wonderful employees. I figure if I am so quick to scribble off letters about things that piss me off – and God knows I am - I should be just as quick to scribble off notes of appreciation.

***********************

So our guests left this morning, and I was sad to see them go. Some because they’re just great people, and some because, since I thought they were staying till Thursday, I have enough food in the house to feed a small army.

Our next-door neighbors are back from their camping vacation (four children ages 1-7, two adults, and one bat, in a cabin -- God bless them). They brought us tomatoes and peaches and I love them even more than I did before. My idea of the perfect summer breakfast: tomato sliced up on top of club crackers and American cheese, sprinkled liberally with salt, and accompanied by an ice cold Coke. Mmmm. I am also working towards my goal of eating my weight in cantaloupe this summer. Admirable, yes?

Speaking of food, I have gained, total, eight pounds. NOW my doctor wants me to gain more weight; before I was admonished to keep it to fifteen pounds. Humph. She recommended Ensure – yech. I think I’ll pass. The baby is growing just fine, apparently it’s just me that’s not fat enough! Coulda fooled me.

El bambino is still lying sideways. Flip, baby, flip!

******************************

Snippets:

If this were true of you, would you admit it?

This auction amuses me.

You too can report a dead bird online!

Why is it so nice being awake in the middle of the night? Why do I like being up at 4am when everyone else is asleep? Am I truly that anti-social?

9 comments:

Gina said...

The Allegheny County Health Department doesn't care that a PARAKEET committed suicide in my yard, so I have nothing to report to them. I feel so left out.

It doesn't surprise me that Posh Spice hasn't read a book, and I don't think I would believe Becks if he said he had. I have no use for either of them, but I do admit to having spent some time amusing myself trying to come up with a Spice Girl name. Crazy Spice seemed too obvious, Poopy Spice too vulger, and Schizo Spice, although alliterative, wasn't really apt. I never did come up with one . . .

Kathy said...

Gina: I like Crazy Spice. No I would not admit it if I had never read a book -- I'd be too embarrassed.

Gina said...

Ah, see . . . WE think one should be embarrassed about never having read a book . . . but we READ. We're readers. I know people personally who don't read--they thing it's boring or suspect or a way of being idle . . . Posh is more likely to think WE'RE the ones who should be embarrassed, rather than the other way around.

Kathy said...

You're probably right about that. My own sister does read, which I think is really weird because she's a writer and (bias aside) she's really good. I don't see how you can end up being a good writer when you don't read.

Kathy said...

I meant that she doesn't read. :)

Caro said...

Have you ever sprinkled onion salt over a hot pot of soup - then the condensation rose from the soup - then the onion salt got all clumped together? That would be Crusty Spice! What about Crusty Spice? Any takers?

Gina said...

Carolyn, will you marry me? :-) I had thought of Salty Spice, but I like Crusty *so* much better!

Joke said...

1- I'd be horrifyingly ashamed to admit never having read a book. Hell, I'm embarrased when a week goes by without reading one. I am not, however, embarrassed to say I have never read The Guardian, save for the odd link from a blog.

2- Could I be Boy Spice? Or Old Spice? If I had MPD, I could be Five Spice.

3- There has been no avicide on my premises that I have noticed.

-Joke

BabelBabe said...

Boy Spice is too blunt. You need something like Testo-Spice, or something that indicates maleness without quite stating it. Although I dig Old Spice.

The Guardian has an entertaining book section. I check that part just about every day. I like their lists (Top Ten Travel Books, etc.) the best.