Friday, February 01, 2008

"The Shepherd-boy shouted in an agony of terror: 'Pray, do come and help me; the Wolf is killing the sheep,' but no one paid any heed to his cries..."

Immediately after I posted the last post, the contractions stopped.
(That reminds me of that old joke about the coughing coffin...does anyone know what I am talking about?)

Anyhoo, the contractions eased up, so I am back to merely being grumpy, uncomfortable, and breathless. Exacerbated by the fact that now the public schools are not going to strike, they feel free to declare two-hour delays for just about anything including, it seems, the superintendent's hangnails. Oh, all RIGHT, I know we had an ice storm but when I was in school...let me tell you, uphill both ways, barefoot, in the snow...blah blah blah....

I did something else last night I am now really sorry I did (other than leading my Internet pals down the garden path): I skipped ahead in a book I was mostly enjoying to find out what happened and am pretty sure I ruined reading the rest of the book, since what happened in the book was of course meant to devastate the reader, and I actually didn't much care.

WHAT was I thinking? Now I need to rethink my hospital books again...

Oh! And I may not have a baby yet, but I am the proud owner of a lovely silver Honda Odyssey minivan (the whole process involved much less pushing than childbirth, too). I haven't driven an automatic since I learned to drive eons ago, but I suppose I'll manage. It's wonderful and ROOMY.

**************

*Aesop, "The Boy Who Cried Wolf"

12 comments:

blackbird said...

Excellent choice on the van!

Velma said...

I luuuurve my mini-van.

Anonymous said...

Nice! My automatic is the first I've ever owned, and it definitely won't be the last. It's so much EASIER in all this traffic than working the damn clutch over and over and over.

Hope baby makes his/her appearance soon!

Jess said...

Well, if you couldn't bring home the baby last night, then a mini van (especially silver! And of the Honda persuasion!) was probably the next best thing.

Congratulations!

Anonymous said...

I hope you love your minivan as much as I love mine. I also love the heated seats and the GPS and how I can plug my ipod into it so my favorite music comes out the speakers. And I especially love how it starts every time I want it to start and it takes me where I want to go without any major breakdowns (knock on wood).

I hope your baby arrives soon.

HEATHER said...

Bless your heart! I hope you go soon and it is an easy birth.
Praying for you!

Caro said...

Honda Odysseys are very nice. Hooray for new cars!

Boo on false contractions. You could insert some evening primrose capsules up your hoo-ha to bring on labor but i don't reccomend it. Been there - done that - got the t-shirt but unfortunately not the epidural. Served me right, huh!

Katy said...

Good luck getting the baby out... eventually.

Sarah Louise said...

come out, baby! We want to meet you!!

hooray for the new car!!

(I am apparently trying out a cheerleader writing style here!!)

xo,

SL!

Suse said...

You tease!

Badger said...

Okay:
1. Prodromal labor sucks (ask me how I know) and
2. Welcome to the badass minivan club! I'm thinking of having t-shirts made. No, for real. I'll let you know.

Anonymous said...

Love The Odyssey!

Did you skip ahead in The Friday Night Knitting Club?

Didn't care for it, but maybe because I listened to it on Itunes and despised the narrator.