Saturday, August 12, 2006

Best. Saturday. Ever.

My friend P came over last night, and we stayed up late sitting on the porch, enjoying the lovely weather, and talking to the boy about Harry Potter, Lord of the Rings, and Pirates of the Caribbean--and then having the boy give us fencing lessons in the front yard. (He spent the past week at a fencing day camp, so actually knows about things like parry and riposte. And now I do too! Sort of.)

Then P left, the boy past out, and I stayed up even later, reading. And then slept in until 9:30, when I heard the boy turn on the television (TV room is right next to my bedroom). 9:30! I can't remember the last time I slept so late. We ate breakfast, watched an episode of Buffy (we're into the second season now--how much do I love Xander? Where was he when I was in high school?) and then shipped the boy off to a pool party at one kid's house and then a "dinner party" at another's. He's still not back, and it's after 8pm.

What did I do all day? I read the new Jasper Fforde, The Fourth Bear, which is the second in the Nursery Crime series, and much better than The Big Over Easy, which was the first. Fforde has found his voice in this one, and has managed to control the cast of characters. The writing is smart and funny, the mystery is good, and I'm looking forward to the next, which is to be called The Last Great Tortoise Race. I also learned that there will be a new Thursday Next book next summer, The War if the Words. I'm looking forward to that almost as much as I am the next Harry Potter!

Aside from reading, I did a minimum of housework, shopped for groceries, and took a lovely, lovely nap. I'd been planning to take my book to the pool and laze in the sun up there, but I settled down upstairs, with the fan humming and a light breeze making the shears swell up . . . and I dozed off. For three hours.

I poked around on the internet, trying to figure out how to make my own Libby Dibby skirt, a la Susie Sunshine.

I only took two phone calls, one from my scandalized sister, who'd only just heard of Glad Rags, and one from BB, whom I hadn't talked to in a few days. She, of course, was busy doing stuff, as you can see from her posts below. I decided I would balance the universe by countering that with my special brand of laziness. Delightful.

And now the boy is home, so I'm off to give him a bowl of ice cream and hear all about his day. I bet it won't have been better than mine.

8 comments:

Caro said...

I'm envious of you in a nice way, of course.

kilowatthour said...

oh! so funny that i just now got back from the bookstore, where i picked up a jasper fforde book for myself. it's the 2nd thursday next book.

i also got bleak house because i can't resist those 50% off editions of classics.

and now, i retire to the bedroom with the gormenghast novels...

it sounds like you had a great day. yay!

Major Bedhead said...

That sounds like a heavenly day. My idea of perfection.

Sarah Louise said...

I hear good things about your porch. The laziness--is wonderful. Very keen of you to balance out with BB's busy-ness.

Joke said...

What are Glad Rags and ought I be scandalized by them?

-J.

Gingers Mom said...

Heavenly! Glorious! I am green with envy!

Katy said...

What a nice day! I second Joke, what are Glad Rags? Are they a girl thing? or a cleaning thing?

P.S. your links are broken, they go back to your page.

Lynne@Oberon said...

Sounds devine!
And, yeah ... gladrags??? In Australia we say we are putting on our gladrags if we are getting all dressed up.