Friday, March 11, 2005

Stop Me Before I Spend Again

B&N sent me an e-mail coupon for an additional 10% off, so I HAD to use it. Right? Right.

I picked up The Little Prince and Where the Sidewalk Ends (which I SWORE we already had, but he [correctly] insisted we didn't), and something called Three Rotten Eggs for his independent reading pleasure.

I got the new JSF, which I can't wait to start. I have no issues with his having written about 9/11, although I've seen articles asserting that either it's too easy a topic to write about, or that writing about it somehow bastardizes the event. That's nonsense, as far as I'm concerned. I mean, writers write about things that matter to them, right? Well . . . this matters a whole lot to a lot of people. I don't think writing about it is capitalizing on it.

I also got A Changed Man, by Francine Prose. Maureen Corrigan reviewed it on Fresh Air as I was leaving work, and I walked right out and bought it DESPITE the creepy cover. It seems like it will be a good time.

I'm STILL not finished with Heir to the Glimmering World, and the only reason I'm not letting it go is that it was one of the selections for the Tournament of Books. I'm guessing there will be a great payoff at the end. There'd better be, because I'm sitting on the second Sandman book!

2 comments:

BabelBabe said...

I have always enjoyed anything by Francine Prose that I've read, including various articles in Harper's or the Atlantic.

I also admit that the JSF looks intriguing. Maybe sort of Vonnegut-ian? Maybe it's just the Dresden connection? Since you frivolously went out and BOUGHT it, instead of supporting your crack cocaine habit, maybe I can borrow it when you're finished?

Check this month's feature about bad book covers on Bookslut. I think the Prose made it.

Gina said...

I'll check Bookslut right now. Cool! And yes, you can borrow whatever you like.