Thursday, March 03, 2005

brainworkings...isn't that a cool word?

Gina, did you see Jessa Crispin's comment about Sandman being the "gateway" book to comix? It's on the Bookslut blog, a day or two ago. I thought of you, and now I need to borrow Sandman from you. I have never really understood comics - I've read Maus (the other "gateway" book Crispin mentions) and its sequel, and even a League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but nothing made me fall in love. Neil Gaiman: Make me love you, dammit!

*****

I'm almost finished (about a hundred pages left) with Denise Mina's Deception, and I have to tell you, it's a ride! I have NO IDEA what is going to happen, I am completely unsure what's reality in the novel and what's the main character's neuroses/psychoses, and I am bracing for a hell of a twist. It is so intense I can't even attempt to read it when the boys are around. Wow.

Here's a terrific summary from Amazon of what I wish *I *could write about the book:

Most critics agree that her use of the “unreliable narrator” is masterful. She slowly reveals that all is not as it seems; even self-deception abounds. As Mina peels away the onion, the househusband with tenacious loyalty to his convicted wife has his own questionable agenda. Deception keeps you guessing, yet manages to be much more than a mere whodunit, thanks to Mina’s strong psychological characterizations.

****

I found out the twist at the end of Million Dollar Baby - so my weird curiosity is satisfied without having to go see a movie I am not interested in. Why am I interested in the twist when I am not in the movie? Who knows? I've long ago stopped trying to figure out my screwed-up brainworkings.

1 comment:

Gina said...

You know what I think ISN'T a cool word? Brio. It doesn't at all seem to me like what it is.