Thursday, March 03, 2005

Enter Sandman

Oh my God! As I typed that title, it occurred to me to wonder whether the Metallica song has anything to do with Gaiman's Sandman? I think they came out around the same time . . . pause while I investigate . . . nevermind. The song is not an homage to the comic, because they both were released in 1991. Oh, well. Now I'm going to have the song in my head all day. Great. I'm a 34-year-old single mom who reads comics and walks around singing Metallica. Maybe it's good that I'm not planning to write a personal ad anytime soon.

Anyway, I read Preludes & Nocturnes last night, and I won't say that I'm hooked to the point of going back to B&N and dropping $160 to scarf up the whole series, but I'm very interested. I'm going to request the titles from the library and then keep my eyes open for used copies. I want to own them, eventually.

The story itself is basic, and clearly a beginning, but I really like Gaiman's writing. He seems to be serious about exploring dreams and fear, but he's not at all pompous about it; he allows himself to be funny and gross, and I really appreciate that.

And I think I'm going to have to read Hellblazer, because John Constantine shows up in a chapter here, and he's SO COOL! :-) I don't know that Keanu Reeves will do him justice, though. Part of what's so enjoyable about Constantine is his rakishness--Ewan McGregor seems like he'd be the perfect candidate.

To sum up here and stop babbling, The Sandman is fast and cool and engaging. It feels almost more like watching a cool movie than reading a book, but it's enjoyable. And who knew I had an inner teenaged boy?

No comments: