Monday, March 14, 2005

Good Dog Carl

I expected to love these books because my aunt had a sweet and wonderful Rotweiller named Hammer, and I loved him, and he loved kids, and all signs were pointing to a big love fest . . .

And then I read the first one and realized that the mom seriously leaves the baby in the dog's care. I think she even leaves the house! What?!?! There's a funny look at one of the other books in the series over at Dooce.

The Good Dog Carl mom (I don't know if there is a dad in the picture) is as bad a parent as the ones in the Rugrats cartoons (whose awfulness could stand a separate post). I mean, I realize that I'm paranoid and over-protective, and that my parenting motto of "Constant Vigilance" is probably taking things a little far, but COME ON!

2 comments:

BabelBabe said...

I know! I always think that too! In Carl's Scrapbook, the mom puts the kid and the dog in front of a video (!!!) while she goes outside and gardens. Why can't she take the kid with her into the yard? Is it safer to leave her in the house playing with sharp scissors? Why do I feel so guilty when I put a video on so I can shower? Someone should call CYS - every single book is like that. Thank God Carl is so freaking responsible.

Gina said...

Insert joke about the DOG Carl being more responsible than my EX-HUSBAND Carl here.