Thursday, March 24, 2005

coming into Holy Week

I read Y:The Last Man over lunch on Monday. I too find Yorick disturbingly attractive, although I am fairly sure his beloved girlfriend whom he is going to risk life and limb to find in Australia is a lesbian. I'd think she was cheating on him but all the other men are dead, or at least so we suppose. Go for Agent 355, Yorick - she's your best bet. Although she could kill you with her little finger...

---------------

I finished Behind the Scenes at the Museum and found it a satisfying read. I liked Case Histories, but since this is Atkinson's first I wasn't sure what to expect (it won the Whitbread). It's a little meandering at times, but honestly that's part of its charm. And Ruby is an incredibly sympathetic character - I just couldn't get my head around why her mother was such a pain in the ass, or as Ruby puts it, an "autistic mother."

-------------

I whipped thru The Dewey Decimal System of Love in something like two hours. The main character, Ally Sheffield, is annoying and eccentric and not very likeable, and the plot is completely unbelievable. But I still finished it. Why? Because I really liked Ally's boss and coworkers, frankly. Yvonne and Gordon were the best characters in the book and the only ones I could stand to even have a short lunch with, let alone work with. Don't even get me started on the immature and underdeveloped characters, the stereotypes, and Ally's whiny best friend...

-------------


Next up: Prep. I was disappointed to realize I had read the first scene somewhere in an excerpt, so it's making the getting-going a bit slow. But I'll manage...

------------

I read Newsweek every week; it's an easy way to get the world news. But what is with all the religious filler lately? I swear, in the past year alone, there have been no less than three and possibly more articles about (I think I am remembering correctly) the Dead Sea scrolls, religious art, two articles alone about Jesus -- not that I have anything against Him, but c'mon...you're a NEWS magazine. How many in-depth articles about Jesus does a current-events mag need in one year? Is this what happens to our national news media when we have a religious fanatic who believes he is the hand of God in the White House? Ergh...don't even get me started on the Schiavo case...

_______________
Is it EVER going to get warm AND sunny? I feel like I am living under a dropcloth.

2 comments:

Gina said...

You know what else I think can be blamed for the proliferation of religious content in Newsweek? The Da Vinci Code. Seriously!

Gina said...

Speaking of "autistic mother", I just read something somewhere that said, "If it's not one thing, it's your mother." That made me laugh out loud.