Thursday, July 21, 2005

Scribes, archivists, librarians, historians - anyone who handled the past through books

I just finished Elizabeth Kostova's The Historian.
Excellent, well-written, meticulously researched, complex characters - I can't say enough good things about this book. It kept me turning pages from the beginning right to the very end.

It is about vampires, but it is not a horror novel. I managed to read it well into the night without feeling as if I needed a crucifix by my bed (unlike Stephen King's Salem's Lot : ) Completely different genre.)

If you're interested in reading it, it might be worth your while to do some background reading, to make the history easier to follow, or you can just do what I did and look it all up afterwards, although Kostova makes it pretty clear and easy to remember. This page is the most concise and helpful. There are some terrific pictures of locales visited by characters in the book that are neat to see. And don't worry, it won't give away any secrets or surprises, although it's not really that type of book anyway.

Here's the Salon review, recommending it. (Safe to read, I think.)

In many ways it is the vampiric equivalent of AS Byatt's Possession, although I don't want to wind anyone's hopes up *too* far. It *is* a first novel, and not as finely crafted or intricate as Possession but it has much the same feel.
[Side note: In an interview with Powell's Books, Kostova says: One of my favorite contemporary fiction writers is A. S. Byatt. Newcomers to her work might want to start with the bestselling novel Possession, a wonderful literary-historical detective story, and go on to her other challenging and beautifully researched novels and novellas, such as Still Life and Angels and Insects. She's a particularly good read for anyone who loves art and art history. ]

I will definitely be buying this book to add to my collection of librarian-related novels. Historians and archivists and librarians are key players in this book, and it's wonderful. It totally appeals to my superior-librarian ego. : )

7 comments:

BabelBabe said...

I've been surprised to find that not everyone liked this book. I have been skimming other people's blogs, and there are lots of people who preferred The Da Vinci Code. Ack.

Kathy said...

I've seen some reviews that were good and some that weren't so good. Entertainment Weekly's was so-so, if I remember. However, I will be reading this book.

Gina said...

I'm going to buy it this weekend. Maureen Corrigan loved it, and her tastes usually match mine.

I'm glad you liked it so well, and I can't wait to get started.

Peg said...

Wait one moment, please.

I'm not crazy -- there was a photo of Simon and Jude here yesterday, that I was so pleased to see, but did not have time to ponder and comment on. Wasn't there??

I'm working on my questions. DB is way ahead of me.

Badger said...

Thanks so much for the book rec. I'll definitely read this. My great-grandpa was from the Transylvanian region of Romania and the history of that area has always fascinated me. I did a report on Vlad Tepes in fourth grade. No lie. I wonder why I didn't have many friends in elementary school? ;)

Mojavi said...

I will have to put the Historian on my list form the library. I hated 'The Da Vinci Code' oops maybe I shouldn't have said that out loud... *wink*

BabelBabe said...

Peg - I de-posted it in favor of posting a much more recent one (that one was from two Christmases ago but was the only digital one I had.)I need to scan the new one in.

And Badger, my maternal gramdmom grew up "at the foothills of the Carpathians" - no one ever seems to get much more specific than that. Close enough for my tastes! : )