Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Best Vacation Ever



So many things to catch up on! The trip was wonderful and relaxing, despite having to attend those pesky conference sessions . . . but I won’t complain, since work paid for my airfare and the hotel room. The only thing that was disappointing was the trip to Universal Studios. We had to go in the evening because of my sessions, but I figured it was no big deal since we were in L.A.--I was assuming things stay open rather late.

“Never assume,” my mother used to say, “because it makes an ass out of u and me.” Well, I spent $160 on admission for three people (Ted was full-price because of his height) and we only got to ride two rides: I certainly feel like an ass. We couldn’t even go on the Universal Studios tour, because it closed while we were in line to ride Revenge of the Mummy—at 6:30!

The only things that stayed open were the food, games and shops. That’s right--all the things that cost money over the price of admission remained open after the rides closed. I hate those Universal jerks.

And I am so dreading Disney World next month. Ugh.

The best thing about Universal was their City Walk—and only because of the Zen Zone, which has an oxygen bar. :-)



Note the ice cream on the boy’s face; there’s a Ben & Jerry’s at the City Walk, too.

****

Other than the trip, which also included a night in the international terminal at LAX that I won’t bother to horrify you with, I put down The Time Traveler’s Wife in order to read the new Harry Potter, which I was pleased to find that I liked much better than the fifth book. (The only thing that I found really gripping in OoP was the threat of Mr. Weasley's death.) Please finish reading and let me know when I am free to unleash the sadness and vitriol!

I’ll finish TTW soon (although maybe not as soon as I’d like, as the last week of my summer session is next week), and then I will read The Historian and The Closed Circle. Mmmmm . . . . school-free reading.

****

And now: Work.

3 comments:

BabelBabe said...

God, that Ted's a cute kid. Although the oxygen bar pic is too eerily reminiscent of hospital paraphernalia for me to be comfortable with it. I'm weird, I know.

Gina said...

As we sat there inhaling what we were told was 80% oxygen, he said, "I don't think I've ever been so relaxed in my whole eight years!"

Did I get my kid stoned? Is he going to realize that when he's in high school? Oh, well.

David said...

I had the weirdest amusement park trip of my life in that park. I went with my boss from Chicago Scenic while we were on a business trip.

Very strange.