Friday, October 28, 2005

The Man From Beyond

I got this from the library thanks to a recommendation from Finslippy. I sort of liked it, but sort of didn't. The story is "inspired by" the friendship of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle and Houdini, and I have trouble with fiction that is "based on actual events" or whatever. If you're going to tell a story involving men who really existed, I sort of think you should be telling a story that really happened. If, however, you think the friendship of ACD and H is a perfect set up for making up some fiction . . . then please create fictitious characters who are based on ACD and H, and tell their fictitious stories. Otherwise, for me, you're just sort of lying. I don't know. Plus there's the problem of throwing characters who are real people into a story with characters who only exist on the page.

Speaking of those made-up characters, I liked the parts of the story involving Molly (intrepid girl reporter), and would loved to have spent more time with her.

Wait, though. What about the series of books about Josephine Bonaparte? I freaking *loved* those! Is that the same thing as the Houdini book? Because I know those books weren't actual historical documents, but they felt real and compelling, and there was a lot of actual, accurate history there.

What's my problem, then? Are Gulland's books just better?

5 comments:

BabelBabe said...

you know, that's a tough call. one of the books up for the booker this year was based on acd, too, though -- julian barnes' arthur and george. popular subject. for that matter, one of my favvorite paul harvey bits is about acd...

i agree with you about having true characters interact with fake - but authors have done it successfully (have you read the alienist?). i think the trick is in how you do it and to what degree you ask your readers to trust your version of events.

the giulland books' framework is solidly based on factual events; but her research is sound enough that the people come across as real too. so maybe the characterization of the acd book is just not so good?

Gina said...

I think the characterization is very good. Maybe the problem is either the fact that we swing for ACD to H to Molly, and aren't given enough time to grow into a relationship with any of them the way we do with Josephine?

I haven't read The Alienist. Should I?

Sarah Louise said...

Yes, you should definately read the Alienist! It is a wonderful book, one of those I hated to finish. It's about a serial killer around the turn of the last century. I don't know why I am fascinated by novels that feature serial killers--Silence of the Lambs, Alienist, and Watch Me! I've never read Patricia Cornwell, though many swear by her.

tgbbj: thank god--bread butter and jam!

Peg said...

I second (third?) both BB and SarahLouise. I love Caleb Carr's books -- he has a sequel to The Alienist that I can't remember the name of (but really is a good book in spite of my lapsed memory).

Surely the man invented a time machine to visit the past in order to bring it to life so clearly. His books are an historical novel and a suspense thriller all in one.

Re: Patricia Cornwell. If you've never read a Kay Scarpetta, start with the first one, Postmortem. Her other series isn't really worth the time.

"ctuilt." It's either Gaelic, or some type of Connecticut/guilt hybrid.

Gina said...

Speak of the devil!

October 29,2005 | TROY, N.Y. -- Caleb Carr, author of the historical novel "The Alienist," is running for a county legislative seat in the Hudson Valley.

I'll request this from the library right now.