Wednesday, October 19, 2005

Blah, Blah, Blabbity, Blah

I'm grumpy and look dumpy and wish I had taken a sick-day today. Curse my parents for giving me a work ethic! I could be back in bed, reading Poppy Z. Brite's Liquor (thanks to Badger). Instead, I'm here at work with bad hair and an ugly outfit, resenting the presence of the sunshine and blue sky. I feel like the weather is flipping me off, which I suppose is a very good indicator of my state of mind: Self-pitying and paranoid, with a touch of mean.

*****

Didn't our interactions with China used to be referred to as US-Sino Relations? When did that go away?

*****

Lois Lowry rocks. I just read Attaboy, Sam!, and it's adorable and sweet, and made me laugh out loud. Val--if you're looking for a chapter book to read to Simon, check this out.

13 comments:

BabelBabe said...

cool, thx for the recc. the boy is plowing thru books.

off to check out the poppy z brite one...

BabelBabe said...

the brite book looks great. did you get it from the library? can i have it when you're done?

Gina said...

I did, and you may.

The Lowry is from the library too, so you can have it once I've been through it in class.

BabelBabe said...

i will trade you a teapot for a book ... : )

you know, we saw each other a lot more when we smoked....or maybe that was because i had only 2 kids and a husband who " needed space"...?

Gina said...

I'm pretty sure it had only a *little* bit to do with the smoking. (Then again, I'm always ready to rekindle and old flame. I do so miss the Marlboro man. Sigh.)

Sarah Louise said...

Lois Lowry rocks!! I just read Gooney Bird and the Room Mother and it was hysterical!!

Joke said...

Wanna trade weather?

-J. a/k/a Mr. Bullseye

Joke said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Gina said...

You live in the south, don't you Joke? I'm not in the mood for hurricane weather, thanks. I was hoping for more of a November in the Cotswalds kind of day, really. But thanks for the offer.

Caro said...

I love it. Self-pitying and paranoid, with a touch of mean - it so accurately describes a mood. You are a wordsmith.

Joke said...

Gina,

Today it was 82F, mostly sunny, 15 knot breeze, low (for us) humidity. Sure there is a hurricane out there, so think of our weather as something from the scratch-and-dent bin. But if you are feeling "Self-pitying and paranoid, with a touch of mean" in 2-3 we'll be haveing the sort of weather than come up to you, put its arm around you and say "I know just how you feel!"

This offer expires on Nov. 30th.

-J.

BabelBabe said...

i LOVE the idea of anthropomorphized weather. i can totally picture the hurricane, looking like a cross b/w christpoher walken and rutger hauer, sidling up to gina and saying that. i love it.

and pittsburgh's weather yesterday was freaking pollyanna.

Joke said...

BabBab,

Nope. That's a straight Christopher Walken thing.

-J.