Thursday, October 20, 2005

Ghosts, like ladies, never speak till spoke to. ~Richard Harris Barham

God apparently loves me despite everything – Jude decided he wants to be Captain Hook for Halloween, and Simon agreed to be Peter Pan. Mimi will be Tinkerbell. (I have been cast as Wendy. Just because I dressed up as Cruella de Ville last year, the boys assume I will participate every year. Got news for them…) As I already made Si a Peter Pan costume for his birthday last year, and we have a well-stocked dress-up box, I am set. Except for transforming Mimi into Tinkerbelle…God help me.

****************************

Why I love my neighborhood, part 16,234: Yesterday Si, James, and I strolled up to the local coffee shop. I struck up a conversation with a woman reading Myla Goldberg’s new book, Wickett’s Remedy. This book has generally gotten lukewarm reviews from official reviewers. The woman gave me a succinct, informative, and amusing capsule review, over our lattes. This could never have happened in my old neighborhood as no one there ever ripped themselves away from “Stillers” football long enough to read the paper let alone a whole book.

Mary Roach’s new book Spook is a must-read for me. I thoroughly enjoyed Stiff, but then I tend to be a bit morbid and utterly fascinated with death, disease, pestilence, and abnormality. I had a field day with this post from Ayelet Waldman’s now-defunct blog; I am sure the local librarians thought they had a budding serial killer in their midst, blithely and efficiently utilizing the local library.

Is Bookslut going on a hiatus? Or just Jessa? Here’s the blurb I read yesterday that concerned me:
And now Bookslut rests! You can have your Tuesdays back in November and December, catch up on some Nip/Tuck, whatever. I have a vacation (my first in six, seven years!) and some baby visiting to do. We'll be back in January with something a little different. You'll be hearing more about it soon.

There’s an article on Salon about Stephen Colbert’s new show. I think Colbert is hilarious, and even more so after his guest star turn in the 4th-season finale of “Curb Your Enthusiasm,” as a loony tourist who curses Larry David. However, sadly we do not have cable so I will miss this program. And tell me, does he not resemble Bob Saget or am I just crazy?

I want this set of the complete Calvin and Hobbes. I always wanted to marry Calvin – or barring that, Hobbes – and since that did not happen, the least I can have is this.

*******************************

Here is the Libby’s-label pumpkin pie recipe, for those who asked (it’s not fancy but it’s really easy and tastes good).
Pumpkin pie: It's what's for breakfast.

1-1/2 cups sugar
1 tsp salt
2 tsp ground cinnamon
1 tsp ground ginger
½ tsp ground cloves
4 large eggs
1 can (29 oz) Libby’s 100% Pure Pumpkin
2 cans (12 oz each) evaporated milk
2 unbaked 9” deep-dish pie shells

Mix sugar, salt, cinnamon, ginger, cloves in small bowl. Beat eggs in a large bowl. Stir in pumpkin and then spice mixture. Gradually stir in evaporated milk. Pour into pie shells. Bake in preheated 425 degree oven for 15 minutes. Reduce temp to 350 degrees. Bake 40-50 minutes or until knife inserted near center comes out clean. Cool for at least tow hours.

****************************

Snippets:

My mother-in-law proudly brought me a jar of pumpkin pie spice she’d got for a dollar at some store in the new mall. Um, is it padded with sawdust, ashes, what? Cinnamon, ginger, cloves, and nutmeg, for a buck? Don’t think so. The thought was nice.

I want a keyboard with the space bar split and another shift key in between the two halves of the space bar. It would make one-handed typing so much easier.

My friend Rachel, who lives in London, had a baby the same day I did. Apparently this is how they weigh babies over in Merrie Olde England. Craziness.

I tried to teach Simon how to ride a bike yesterday. (By the way, he looked SO cute in his little bike helmet…) Just remind me of this when he decides he needs someone to teach him how to drive. I will gladly pay someone else to do it.

Joke, are your windows boarded up? Is your car gassed up? Are you stocked up on batteries, water, plastic sheeting, and duct tape? Oh, wait, that’s a different catastrophe. Sorry. No, seriously, be safe and keep us posted.

8 comments:

Gina said...

Do you have an old Christmas tree angel you can steal things from to use for Mimi's Tinkerbell costume? Just a thought.

*****

I'm going to start going to the Regent Square Community Meetings, as they are now on a night I can make. Teddy is going to learn to be community-minded if it kills me. (And I'm trying to drum up enough people to lobby for putting a coffee shop in the building next to Ryan's Pub. How sweet would THAT be?)

*****

Bookslut is not on hiatus, but the reading series it. I had a moment of fear when I saw that post yesterday, but everything is fine. Phew!

*****

I love Stephen Colbert, too, but I just can't stay up that late. Is it lame to tape it and The Daily Show for watching in a big clump of Friday night couchiness? (Yes, I said, "tape". I refuse to pay more than the $40/month I already pay to WATCH TV, so I have no TiVo or On Demand, or whatever.)

*****

How did Simon do? Teddy's biggest trouble was watching his feet on the pedals rather than watching where he was going. :-)

*****

My verification word is "gygll", which looks to me to be Celtic for "giggle". I really *must* be Lady Fun and Happiness today.

Joke said...

I am all set to go for Wilma. Have gasoline for cars and generator, have all the foodstuffs we should need, have all the boardin' up stuff ready to go for when I get home.

Our biggest worry in this corner is not that we, personally, will get flooded or that our house will blow away, but rather that we'll be w/o power for almost 3 weeks like during Andrew. Which sucked.

The guy from the Nat'l Hurricane Center was fielding calls from viewers to our local news and he said the good news is that we only have 17 years to go in the 30 year warming cycle that causes these serious hurricanes. Then we can go back to worrying about the next Ice Age and start getting complacent again about hurricanes like we (in SoFla) did between Betsy and Andrew.

So that was good.

BabelBabe said...

for the past ten years i have put this giant old elf on top of the xmas tree - but i can raid my crazy-quilt supplies. maybe i can glue hair on mimi.

i think it is so not lame to tape and watch. but you are speaking to someone who really only watches tv shows after they've been released on dvd...

si had trouble pedalling, period. *i* got very frustrated. *he* was fine.

i am compiling a post on those verification words, so thx for the contribution.

Caro said...

When A was three, she had a HUGE crush on Captain Hook. Have fun trick or treating, Wendy.

BabelBabe said...

haha. as if. no desire to traipse thru the neighborhood in a nightgown, thx.

David said...

will you be getting him a crash helmet for that training?

Anonymous said...

Gah! We don't buy pumpkin in tins/cans here. We buy PUMPKINS, with skin on and all, in the fruit 'n veg section of the supermarket, or at the greengrocer.

So I am still without a pumpkin pie recipe.

And no I'm not really 'anonymous', I'm Suse (Pea Soup) but blogger won't let me log in. Because blogger is like that some days.

Anonymous said...

Oh, and I have a photo of Son No. 3 being weighed like that.

The midwives who visit you at home for the first few days use those spring weighing things, as they're easier to cart around than a ruddy great huge set of scales. You put the babe in a cloth, pin it together by the corners, and attach it to the spring.

My Sons No 2 and 3 thought it hilarious and each wanted a turn at holding the spring.

- Suse again