Thursday, September 29, 2005

Perhaps it's the realization that irrational fears about government headed by a chick pale in comparison to the reality of one headed by a turkey.

I have school on Tuesday nights, so I can't watch Commander in Chief, but I think I might start taping it, just because of this line from Rebecca Traister's Salon article: "Mac enters the Capitol rotunda to address the nation; there are the familiar words: "Mr. Speaker, the president of the United States"; and then Thelma Dickerson walks through the door. The moment sent chills. The audience was sniffling. Some of them perhaps hadn't been sure they'd live long enough to see this. Even on television."

Just *reading* that makes me tear up. I was one of those girls who begged for a subscription to Ms. and was enraged when I heard people refer to Mondale/Ferraro as "Fritz & Tits" (even though it gives me a chuckle now)--I've been happy to call myself a feminist since I learned the word. I have an undergraduate certificate in Women's Studies. I've always thought it was stupid that women in the Oval Office weren't a matter of course.

But I guess I never really *pictured* that scene. I think the thrill for me is in the fact that she is announced without that condescending- and cliched-sounding (to me, anyway) Madame President. She's just the president of the United States, and that's that. Wow.

7 comments:

Kathy said...

I missed this show but wish I had seen it. Did you like it?

Gina said...

Alas, I didn't see it--I only read the article. I'm going to try to remember to tape it next week.

Kathy said...

Me too because I think it's on on the night I work.

David said...

I watched.

eh

The concept is nice, the company is good, they've obviously invested in the show...

I wish the writing were as good as Aaron Sorkin. We shall see.

Joke said...

I wonder if women in the UK felt this way when Margaret Thatcher became Prime Minister.

Still, good practice for the day when Elizabeth Dole becomes President. ;-)

-J.

BabelBabe said...

I don't know. Would a woman in the White House really make a difference? Wouldn't she have gotten there the same way any man does, and therefore be a consummate politician who is jaded and manipulative? I mean, female George Bushes do exist.

That said, the idea of "Madame President" pretty much still thrills me to my bones, esp. since other countries have done it, and if we're such a world power, what is our hold-up other than old-fashioned sexism?

Joke said...

I agree with you that women can be politicians just as manipulative and jaded...but for some reason the people in NY and CA keep electing them. :-)

-J.