Saturday, September 24, 2005

...and good night to the old lady whispering hush.

I finished Goodnight Nobody last night. I forced myself to finish it. I enjoy Jennifer Weiner’s writing, and I really enjoyed her previous three books, especially In Her Shoes. But I do wish she hadn’t copped out to the “mommy mystery” with this new book. The mystery part just wasn’t that compelling and in my opinion, her efforts writing that part detracted from the writing of the interesting parts (what I thought of as the “Goodnight Nobody” parts) - motherhood, marriage, suburbia, reconciling herself to her disappointments in life, finding her identity as a grown woman. I think that sort of examination and thoughtfulness is where Weiner’s strength lies. So, yeah, I was disappointed.

Back to finish Children of God and then start Anne Rivers Siddons’ new one, which I got from the library. I am positive it will be formulaic and trite, but I couldn’t help myself.

Simon has discovered Aesop’s fables, which are at times perhaps a bit more violent/bloody than I’d like, but he seems ok with it. It started as a quest to find the tale abut the mouse and the lion with the thorn in his paw, which I soon discovered/remembered was actually “Androcles and the Lion.” I got him a library book of the tales in poem form but I don’t like them all that much. I think I will just dig up my old copy of Aesop’s Fables for Children and start him off with that.

Look, look – I am so excited! Audrey Niffenegger of Time Traveller’s Wife fame has a new book out. I will go buy it immediately. Right after I buy Salman Rushdie’s new one (I have only so much disposable/book income).

I came home yesterday to a package from Amazon. I hadn’t ordered anything. I love when things like this happen! My little brother sent us a book we had all been discussing last week: The Road to Serfdom, which he thought we’d be interested in (ok, it’s really more Dan’s thing, but still…) so he sent us a copy. I love it when people send me books.

I love finding books my husband might be interested in. This one, Odyssey of the Voice showed up in a catalog from Plural Publishing, which I receive, along with lots of other catalogs and mailings, courtesy of my MLA membership.

I must call the hotel in Lancaster AGAIN today, for the third time, because apparently it’s just too difficult to call back a frantic parent who is trying to find her son’s beloved Bunky that got left behind in the tangled bedclothes. Thank God we didn’t forget the child, although perhaps *that* might warrant a returned call…

4 comments:

Joke said...

The Road To Serfdom is one of the 4-5 books that, quite literally, changed my life. It's not the breeziest read in the world, but I am grateful for having had the opportunity to read it at the time I came across it.

Having said that, anything by Frederic Bastiat (and who said I was a Francophobe?) will prove a far more entertaining read.

Your kid brother's up to speed, I tell ya.

BabelBabe said...

Yeah, my brother is easily the smartest and most successful of the three of us siblings. He's an economist for Lehman, he's totally freaking brilliant as far as I am concerned, and I still get a kick out of catching him on TV and seeing him quoted in the papers.

Even his hobbies are brilliant - chess and the Civil War. People shouldn't be allowed to be that smart : )

Kathy said...

I'm not a big Anne Rivers Siddon fan; I've never finished any of her books except one. That one was her only entry in the horror field -- The House Next Door. It's quite good.

Joke said...

It is reassuring to know there are practicing economists who still read von Hayek. I am assuaged to realize that, although it may not always seem like it, the Republic will endure.

But seriously, get on that Bastiat. I promise you that you will laugh out loud. In fact, do NOT hurry up and read it, lest you accidentally give birth and not notice.

-Joke, who did a (brief)stint at Bear Stearns.