Wednesday, September 07, 2005

...and all of London littered with remembered kisses.

First day of the new regime. Jude is at daycare by himself. Somehow it broke my heart to leave him there without his big brother. He had his Mimi, but still…and Si went to his first day of preschool today. I am not sure what I expected, but what I got was this:

Me: “Bye, Si guy. Love you. Be a good boy and don’t forget that Grandma will come get you this afternoon. I love you.”
Si: “Ok, bye, Mom. Where’s Quinn? Quinn…!” and off he ran to play in the pretend kitchen with his next-door neighbor friend.

I am glad he wasn’t stressing, but I found myself feeling a little bereft. I contented myself with slipping a maudlin-mama note into the backpack I packed for him to take to his grandma’s this afternoon. Toys, a puzzle, some Thomas coloring pages, and a mushy note telling him I couldn’t wait to hear all about his first day and that I loved him oodles.

Considering I get teary when I watch my *neighbor’s kids* get on their school bus, can you imagine what a wreck I will be next September when my baby goes to kindergarten? I don’t think it’s purely hormonal either…I am just a sap.

*****************************

You know, I HAVE HAD IT with college students who don’t think it’s important to keep or carry their class syllabi, or at least take thorough notes, yet get mad at me because I can’t find a textbook with a title like “Introduction to Psychology.” No author, edition number, not even the *actual* title in many cases. It’s MY fault that I can’t discern, like the Great Carnac, the exact title and edition of the book they need. Clearly I am a deficient librarian.

“What do you mean, you can’t look it up by class number/name/professor name?”
Well, I can, probably, but that’s YOUR job. Log onto a computer and figure out how to access your professors’ syllabi. At some point you might actually need that info.

*********************

RockStar INXS:

Tonight is the night Jordis is told she’s "just not right for our band INXS.” I had high hopes for her early on but she seems exhausted and tame now. Dave Navarro pegged it last night when he said she seemed like she was holding something back.

Mig – Please. If INXS wanted a Michael Bolton manqué as a front singer, don’t you think they’d have advertised for one? But his first song was fine.

Marty – Nothing personal but every time Marty opens his mouth, I have the urge to count his teeth. And do you think he’ll wind up his stint on the show by proposing to Sweet Suzie McNeill?

JD is SUCH a dick. But he’s got the sound…sometimes.

Suzie is my fav at the moment, and *not* just because I think Dave Navarro wants to bonk her. She has really displayed her voice to its full advantage these past few weeks; she has gained a quiet self-confidence that really reads; and she has somewhat more fashion sense than any of the others.

David – how COULD you fall asleep last night after seeing what Brooke Burke was wearing? Honestly, man….!

***************************

And all of Highland Park littered with abandoned flea collars…
Emmy (my outside cat) has managed to lose her THIRD flea collar in as many months. She’s as bad as my kids – does she think I am made of money? I put them on tightly, I think I just have the Houdini of the cat world. Can you staple them on?? (ok, I am kidding…sort of…)

5 comments:

Kathy said...

That's if they even know their professors' names or the class number which a lot of times they don't. I wasn't good at knowing my class numbers but I knew the professor's name!

I'm not a sap but I was a BIG ONE when my kids first went to school.

Caro said...

Oh the first day of kindergarten is tough. They march off so proudly, backpacks in tow, while your heart breaks.

David said...

I guess I just don't care anymore. I didn't even watch tonight. Maybe the urge will strike me again next week.

but I doubt it.

BabelBabe said...

I was right about Jordis. Oh well.

Jess said...

I've had a thing for MacNeice for ages.