Friday, September 16, 2005

I LOVE CORN!

Teddy had a homework assignment last night wherein he had to write a statement, then a question, and then an exclamation, all about the same topic. Imagine seeing this in the handwriting of a third-grade boy: I like corn. Do you like corn? I LOVE CORN! I've been laughing about that since I saw it last night.

*

Carolyn’s post from last night made me think again about what will happen to my parents when they get old. It's easy for me to pretend that I won't have to worry, because my grandmother is 81 and still works full-time as a home-health nurse and is a CERTIFIED FITNESS INSTRUCTOR who teaches "Sliver Sneakers" classes at the Y.

As much as I like to assume that my mother will follow that lead, I don’t suppose I can. So can I take my parents in if/when they can no longer live on their own? I’m willing, of course, but will I be able? Will I have the skills? Will I have the money? Will they?

*

Of concern: In class last night, Resources for Children, a woman who’s just had a baby mentioned the absence of mothers in the books we were discussing. I mentioned that in some books for very small children, like Good Dog Carl and The Cat in the Hat, mothers can’t be present, because mothers generally maintain order and safety and peace—mothers prevent wacky adventures more often than not. The professor said, “That’s very astute, Gina. I hadn’t thought of that.”

WHAT?!?!?! I thought she was being sarcastic, but others assured me that wasn’t the case. How can this woman whose life’s work is children’s books (she served on TWO selection committees for the NEWBERY!) not have considered this most basic of ideas?!?!?!?

I was really let down.

*

Okay, happier things: Val is coming home tomorrow! I’ve missed her this week—blogging, e-mailing, and lunch just weren’t the same.

7 comments:

Caro said...

I know that we will be taking in at least one set of parents and I am willing. I know it is really hard though. There are so many articles about the sandwich generation. I only hope that hubby and I get to enjoy some retirement together, just the two of us. Fortunately, it seems that elder care options are more varied than they used to be.

Caro said...

BTW, who is this Val person and what have you done with Babelbabe?

Jess said...

Have you read Don't Tell the Grownups, by Alison Lurie? She talks about a lot of that stuff - absense of parents in children's books, orphans, solving problems without grownups, etc. Good read.

Gina said...

Thanks, Jess--I just requested both of Lurie's books from the library.

**

It would be ideal if I could afford to care for my parents in my home (although a larger place than this townhouse, that's for sure) *and* afford wonderful home health nurses like my grandmother to help me out. I guess I should be having this conversation with my parents, rather than you guys, though, huh?

**

And I always forget that I'm supposed to call Val "Babelbabe"--I never was one for nicknames. I am, in fact, slang and nickname impaired. :-)

David said...

I like corn.

Corn on the cob
Pop Corn
Carmel Corn

not really to much a fan of candy corn, or creamed corn

I like corny jokes - like that one

do you like corn?

I LIKE CORN!

Gina said...

David, your corn poetry touches me.

Candy corn is an abomination! :-)

BabelBabe said...

I LOVE candy corn - in theory. Once I eat a few, I think, "Good Lord, why did anyone ever invent this, let alone eat it?" But it looks so cute.

Update:We left the beach house a day early for a variety of reasons and we are now parked in Lancaster, with 10 am tix to take the boys on a Thomas the Tank Engine ride. My guess is they will implode with delight. So we'll be cruising into home tonight, and the update will be posted forthwith. Or at least after the laundry is started and groceries are shopped for.

Missed you all, (esp. Gina!) can't wait to catch up. Thank God for Marriott Courtyards : )

Also, BabelBabe is the ONLY cool nickname I have EVER had. So while Gina is permnitted to address me with my plebian name of Val (esp. since she is totally aware of how very uncool I really am : )), the rest of you can keep up with the much cooler BabelBabe, please : ) I do have an image to maintain - HA!